Grapefruit lowers BG?

Brad Sheppard

Guest
I'm going out and buy some grapefruit juice - "The participants
drinking grapefruit juice lost an average of 3.3 pounds. But those in
the control group who consumed no grapefruit only lost an average of
0.5 pounds. The researchers said the weight loss was probably linked
to lowered levels of insulin, which was born out by measurements of
glucose levels. " http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3439391.stm

If you're taking any of the cholesterol lowering statins...

You'll want to nix that grapefruit.

Jennifer

Brad Sheppard wrote:

> I'm going out and buy some grapefruit juice - "The participants drinking grapefruit juice lost an
> average of 3.3 pounds. But those in the control group who consumed no grapefruit only lost an
> average of .5 pounds. The researchers said the weight loss was probably linked to lowered levels
> of insulin, which was born out by measurements of glucose levels. "
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3439391.stm

What about just eating three grapefruits a day. Wonder if that works. I eat a whole one everyday
with and avocado in a salad type thing.

Brad Shepherd wrote:

> I'm going out and buy some grapefruit juice - "The participants drinking grapefruit juice lost an
> average of 3.3 pounds. But those in the control group who consumed no grapefruit only lost an
> average of .5 pounds. The researchers said the weight loss was probably linked to lowered levels
> of insulin, which was born out by measurements of glucose levels. "
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3439391.stm

I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
doesn't bother us.

[email protected] wrote:

> I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
> unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
> doesn't bother us.
>
> Jennifer wrote:
>
>> If you're taking any of the cholesterol lowering statins...
>>
>> You'll want to nix that grapefruit.
>>
>> Jennifer

Hopefully you will continue to play russian roulette with malabsorption of some of your meds, and
then stroke out or have an arrhythmia. Either way, you will then ******** and stop bothering us.

Dennis (Type 2)

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 04:37:56 UTC, Dennis Rekuta
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hopefully you will continue to play russian roulette with malabsorption of some of your meds, and
> then stroke out or have an arrhythmia. Either way, you will then ******** and stop bothering us.

Well and succinctly said:) All the lit says don't use grapefruit(which I love) with most cholesterol
lowering meds, like Lipitor(which I hate but take). However, if a user wishes to become a luser,
c'est la vie.

> I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
> unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
> doesn't bother us.

You can't possibly know that "nothing has ever happened".

Do you even know what is supposed to "happen" if you mix grapefruit with statins? You will not
explode, but what CAN happen is:

Grapefruit juice can increase the amount of medication that is absorbed from the stomach. This can
result in higher levels of the statin in the blood. Higher levels of the statin in the blood can
increase your risk for certain serious side effects such as muscle and liver problems. This
interaction only occurs with grapefruit juice and does not occur with any other citrus fruits
(orange juice, lemonade).

Are you getting a liver function test regularly?

If not, you can't know that "nothing has happened".

Jennifer

Since I have been taking this for so long and with no problems I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.
Sorry to disappoint you. Go bother yourself.

Denies Requite wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
>> unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
>> doesn't bother us.
>>
>> Jennifer wrote:
>>
>>> If you're taking any of the cholesterol lowering statins...
>>>
>>> You'll want to nix that grapefruit.
>>>
>>> Jennifer
>>>
> Hopefully you will continue to play russian roulette with malabsorption of some of your meds, and
> then stroke out or have an arrhythmia. Either way, you will then ******** and stop bothering us.
>
> Dennis (Type 2)

I KNOW there is nothing wrong. I all labs done every six weeks and everything is normal and with a
cholesterol of 156 my doc is very happy and he indeed, knows my diet as do my two expert. certified
and registered dietitians. Will proceed with their guidance. As I said nothing has happened from
this diet. My mother took the same medication and ate the same diet and recently died in her 93rd.
year. Best of luck to you with your diet.

Jennifer wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
>> unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
>> doesn't bother us.
>

> You can't possibly know that "nothing has ever happened".
>
> Do you even know what is supposed to "happen" if you mix grapefruit with statins? You will not
> explode, but what CAN happen is:
>
> Grapefruit juice can increase the amount of medication that is absorbed from the stomach. This can
> result in higher levels of the statin in the blood. Higher levels of the statin in the blood can
> increase your risk for certain serious side effects such as muscle and liver problems. This
> interaction only occurs with grapefruit juice and does not occur with any other citrus fruits
> (orange juice, lemonade).
>
> Are you getting a liver function test regularly?
>
> If not, you can't know that "nothing has happened".
>
> Jennifer

No problems with years of use. By the way it is my understanding that one must die of something.

gbritton!@!telus.net wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 04:37:56 UTC, Dennis Rekuta <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Hopefully you will continue to play russian roulette with malabsorption of some of your meds, and
>>then stroke out or have an arrhythmia. Either way, you will then ******** and stop bothering us.
>

> Well and succinctly said:) All the lit says don't use grapefruit(which I love) with most
> cholesterol lowering meds, like Lipitor(which I hate but take). However, if a user wishes to
> become a luser, c'est la vie.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:25:39 -0800, Jennifer
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
>> unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
>> doesn't bother us.
>
>You can't possibly know that "nothing has ever happened".
>
>Do you even know what is supposed to "happen" if you mix grapefruit with statins? You will not
>explode, but what CAN happen is:
>
>Grapefruit juice can increase the amount of medication that is absorbed from the stomach. This can
>result in higher levels of the statin in the blood. Higher levels of the statin in the blood can
>increase your risk for certain serious side effects such as muscle and liver problems. This
>interaction only occurs with grapefruit juice and does not occur with any other citrus fruits
>(orange juice, lemonade).
>
>Are you getting a liver function test regularly?
>
>If not, you can't know that "nothing has happened".
>
>Jennifer

Thanks for that info Jennifer. I would have thought there were obvious carb intakeand glucose
control problems as well with the quantities mentioned. However, your reason sounds good enough for
me without any further troubles.

Wasn't there a fad grapefruit diet in the '60s??

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz dx May 2002 , A1C 5.8, no meds, diet and not enough exercise.

I cannot understand the volume of posts from you extolling the grapefruit. Maybe it's true that it
has had no adverse effect on you, but if there is medical evidence that it is harmful, must you
try to convince others that because it does not harm YOU, then it is good for all? I am sure there
are many chain smokers who have lived to a ripe old age, but I would still not advocate smoking
for all...

Henry

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I KNOW there is nothing wrong. I all labs done every six weeks and everything is normal and with a
> cholesterol of 156 my doc is very happy and he indeed, knows my diet as do my two expert.
> certified and registered dietitians. Will proceed with their guidance. As I said nothing has
> happened from this diet. My mother took the same medication and ate the same diet and recently
> died in her 93rd. year. Best of luck to you with your diet.
>
> Jennifer wrote:
>

> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >> I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
> >> unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
> >> doesn't bother us.
> >

> > You can't possibly know that "nothing has ever happened".
> >
> > Do you even know what is supposed to "happen" if you mix grapefruit with statins? You will not
> > explode, but what CAN happen is:
> >
> > Grapefruit juice can increase the amount of medication that is absorbed from the stomach. This
> > can result in higher levels of the statin in the blood. Higher levels of the statin in the blood
> > can increase your risk for certain serious side effects such as muscle and liver problems. This
> > interaction only occurs with grapefruit juice and does not occur with any other citrus fruits
> > (orange juice, lemonade).
> >
> > Are you getting a liver function test regularly?
> >
> > If not, you can't know that "nothing has happened".
> >
> > Jennifer

I think eating the 3 grapefruits a day would work. I'm lazy and will go for the juice. Good point
someone made about nixing grapefruit if you take statins.

[email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> What about just eating three grapefruits a day. Wonder if that works. I eat a whole one everyday
> with and avocado in a salad type thing.
>
> Brad Shepherd wrote:
>
> > I'm going out and buy some grapefruit juice - "The participants drinking grapefruit juice lost
> > an average of 3.3 pounds. But those in the control group who consumed no grapefruit only lost an
> > average of .5 pounds. The researchers said the weight loss was probably linked to lowered levels
> > of insulin, which was born out by measurements of glucose levels. "
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3439391.stm

>Subject: Grapefruit lowers BG?
>From: [email protected] (Brad Sheppard)
>Date: 1/30/2004 7:40 PM Mountain Standard Time
>
>I'm going out and buy some grapefruit juice - "The participants drinking grapefruit juice lost an
>average of 3.3 pounds. But those in the control group who consumed no grapefruit only lost an
>average of .5 pounds. The researchers said the weight loss was probably linked to lowered levels of
>insulin, which was born out by measurements of glucose levels. "
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3439391.stm

THAT is what I suspected.

The grapefruit is not killing you .. it is the fact when one eats grapefruit .. one needs LESS of a
med .. and it is the med which kills you.

Much like the tocopherol studies in which they showed the vitamin E was not killing you .. it is the
fact the inclusion of vitamin E leads to a lower NEED for meds and the meds killed you.

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

> I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
> unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
> doesn't bother us.
>
> Jennifer wrote:
>
> > If you're taking any of the cholesterol lowering statins...
> >
> > You'll want to nix that grapefruit.

In Merck's advertisement for Zocor is a warning concerning consuming "large quantities of grapefruit
juice (greater than 1 quart daily), particularly with higher doses of Zocor." It does not say not to
use grapefruit juice, but rather not take to higher amounts of it.

Frank

In article <0gOSPPitPZzm-pn2-J4dl0Vdmr8KO@localhost>,
<gbritton!@!telus.net> wrote:
>On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 04:37:56 UTC, Dennis Rekuta <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Hopefully you will continue to play russian roulette with malabsorption of some of your meds, and
>> then stroke out or have an arrhythmia. Either way, you will then ******** and stop bothering us.

>Well and succinctly said:) All the lit says don't use grapefruit(which I love) with most
>cholesterol lowering meds, like Lipitor(which I hate but take). However, if a user wishes to become
>a luser, c'est la vie.

You should check this out in your particular case. The danger is that the effect will be increased
if it is too close together.

If your physician does not know the nature of the interaction, you need to see one who does.

--
This address is for information only. I do not claim that these views are those of the Statistics
Department or of Purdue University. Herman Rubin, Department of Statistics, Purdue University

[email protected] wrote:
> No problems with years of use. By the way it is my understanding that one must die of something.

You're right. Should it be our understanding that you are trying to ensure that it doesn't
take too long?

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:20:34 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
>unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
>doesn't bother us.

It figures.

Your Pal,

Sleepy

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:22:12 UTC, [email protected] (Herman
Rubin) wrote:

> >> Hopefully you will continue to play russian roulette with malabsorption of some of your meds,
> >> and then stroke out or have an arrhythmia. Either way, you will then ******** and stop
> >> bothering us.
>
> >Well and succinctly said:) All the lit says don't use grapefruit(which I love) with most
> >cholesterol lowering meds, like Lipitor(which I hate but take). However, if a user wishes to
> >become a luser, c'est la vie.
>
> You should check this out in your particular case. The danger is that the effect will be increased
> if it is too close together.

I hope you didn"t have to pay too much to register to be an idiot. I use Lipitor, and it works. I no
longer eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice. I don't consume any grapefruit in any for
whatsoever.

Try to learn to read before typing.

--

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:42:04 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>No problems with years of use. By the way it is my understanding that one must die of something.

I know I am going to die of something, but there are a funner ways to gamble ones life than
drinking GFJ

You Pal,

Sleepy