grapes in savory dishes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mia, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. Mia

    Mia Guest

    hi group

    I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory dish to complement seared duck
    breast. I found some recipes for grape chutneys, including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not sure
    about it tho. does anyone have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney? I'd also
    appreciate any non-salad ideas you have for savory grape recipes that would fit well with a duck
    breast. I searched the net but came up with mostly versions of duck stuffed with grapes, recipes
    that didn't quite appeal to me, and many instances of a common joke about a duck that begins..."...
    A duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The bartender says "What can I get you?" Duck:
    Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... :)

    thank you in advance, Mia

    Tags:

  2. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Mia" <mia_vaessen@gmx.net> wrote in message
    : hi group
    :
[...]
    : =======

    I put grapes in when I'm cooking rabbit... but that doesn't help you this time. Sorry. I have
    recipes for Grape Pie too... but again, no help.

    Maybe if you used a chutney recipe that called for raisins and simply substitute the grapes? A Cranberry-
    Apple Chutney made with grapes would probably be pretty good.

    Cran-Apple Chutney

    12 oz bag Cranberries 1 c sugar 1 c orange juice 1 apple, peeled & cubed
    1/2 c raisins Pinch of Cinnamon & Cloves

    Place all ingredients in a large non-reactive saucepan (3 qt is fine). Bring to a boil, stirring to
    dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 20 minutes, or until berries have burst.

    Spoon into 4 half-pint or 2 pint jars. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.

    This is great in lieu of jam or jelly on bread!

    Does that help Mia?

    Cyndi

  3. Mia wrote:

    > hi group
    >
    > I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory dish to complement seared
    > duck breast. I found some recipes for grape chutneys, including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not
    > sure about it tho. does anyone have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney? I'd
    > also appreciate any non-salad ideas you have for savory grape recipes that would fit well with a
    > duck breast. I searched the net but came up with mostly versions of duck stuffed with grapes,
    > recipes that didn't quite appeal to me, and many instances of a common joke about a duck that
    > begins..."... A duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The bartender says "What can I
    > get you?" Duck: Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... :)
    >
    > thank you in advance, Mia

    This one sounds good: (Food TV's site had a couple too)
    http://www.savoirfaire.ca/episode_archive/2_recipe_1.1.html Frank

  4. Mia

    Mia Guest

    "Mia" <mia_vaessen@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > hi group
    >
    > I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory dish to complement seared
    > duck breast. I found some recipes for grape chutneys, including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not
    > sure about it tho. does anyone have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney? I'd
    > also appreciate any non-salad ideas you have for savory grape recipes that
    would
    > fit well with a duck breast. I searched the net but came up with mostly versions of duck stuffed
    > with grapes, recipes that didn't quite appeal to me, and many instances of a common joke about a
    > duck that begins..."... A duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The bartender says
    "What
    > can I get you?" Duck: Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... :)
    >
    > thank you in advance, Mia

    hello! Thank you, these are both good ideas. I have two more questions then:
    1) For the chutney, do you think adding some spice (hot, like a diced chile) would work? and
    2) I don't have champagne, but i have prosecco. Could I substitute?

    mia

  5. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Mia" <mia_vaessen@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > hi group
    >
    > I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory dish to complement seared
    > duck breast. I found some recipes for grape chutneys, including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not
    > sure about it tho. does anyone have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney? I'd
    > also appreciate any non-salad ideas you have for savory grape recipes that
    would
    > fit well with a duck breast. I searched the net but came up with mostly versions of duck stuffed
    > with grapes, recipes that didn't quite appeal to me, and many instances of a common joke about a
    > duck that begins..."... A duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The bartender says
    "What
    > can I get you?" Duck: Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... :)
    >
    > thank you in advance, Mia

    Traditionally the word "verionique" is used to describe dishes cookes with grapes. Usually green
    seedless grapes.

    Here is one example.

    Title: FILETS DE SOLE VERONIQUE (SOLE WITH GREEN GRAPES) Categories: Main dish, White wine Yield:
    8 servings

    2 tb Finely chopped shallots 1 ts Salt 1 c Dry white wine 1 cn Seedless green grapes(16oz) 2
    tb Flour 2 tb Butter or margarine 2 lb Sole fillets,fresh or frozen
    1/4 ts Ground pepper 1 tb Lemon juice 2 tb Butter or margarine
    2/2 c Whipping cream

    Sprinkle shallots in 10-inch skillet (use pyrosyran, non-stick finish, enamel or stainless (not
    aluminum)). Sprinkle fillets with salt and pepper. Fold in half; arrange in skillet. Add wine,
    lemon juice and reserved grape liquid. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until
    fillets flake easily, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove fillets with slotted spatula to ovenproof platter.
    Keep warm while preparing sauce. Add grapes to liquid in skillet. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
    Simmer uncovered 3 minutes. Remove grapes with slotted spoon. Heat liquid in skillet to boiling;
    boil until reduced to 1 cup. Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour. Stir flour mixture, a
    small amount at a time, into reduced liquid. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until
    thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in cream. Heat to boiling. Add 2 tablespoons butter; stir until
    melted. Drain excess liquid from platter if necessary. Spoon sauce over fillets. Set oven
    control to broil and/or 550'. Broil fillets just until sauce is glazed, about 3 minutes. Garnish
    with grapes.

    There is no reason why you have to "make" something with the grapes first. See above:

    Dimitri

  6. Blacksun21

    Blacksun21 Guest

    >I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory dish to complement seared
    >duck breast. I found some recipes for grape chutneys, including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not
    >sure about it tho. does anyone have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney?

    Not exactly a chutney, but a while back someone posted a "recipe" for a grape coulis-- whiz red
    grapes in the blender; throw in some jalapeno and cilantro.

    Sounds to me like that would go great with duck.

    Jen San Francisco

  7. Mia

    Mia Guest

    "Frank Mancuso" <frank@rmvsaintarnold.com> wrote in message
    > Mia wrote:
    >
    > > hi group
    > >
    > > I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory
    dish
    > > to complement seared duck breast. I found some recipes for grape
    chutneys,
    > > including one that used tomatoes -- I'm not sure about it tho. does
    anyone
    > > have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape chutney? I'd also appreciate any non-
    > > salad ideas you have for savory grape recipes that
    would
    > > fit well with a duck breast. I searched the net but came up with mostly versions of duck stuffed
    > > with grapes, recipes that didn't quite appeal
    > > me, and many instances of a common joke about a duck that begins..."...
    > > duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The bartender says
    "What
    > > can I get you?" Duck: Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... :)
    > >
    > > thank you in advance, Mia
    > >

    > This one sounds good: (Food TV's site had a couple too)
    > http://www.savoirfaire.ca/episode_archive/2_recipe_1.1.html Frank

    hi again Frank -- did you try out this recipe? It seemscomplicated, with the double-boiler and all.
    I'm also not sure I want to sit around and peel grapes all evening. :) I wonder if there's a way to
    simplify it?

    Mia

  8. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Mia" wrote

    : > hi group
    : >
    : > I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in
    a savory dish
    : > to complement seared duck breast.

    <snip>

    : hello! Thank you, these are both good ideas. I have two more questions
    then:
    : 1) For the chutney, do you think adding some spice (hot, like a
    diced chile)
    : would work? and
    : 2) I don't have champagne, but i have prosecco. Could I
    substitute?
    :
    : mia
    : =====

    Hi Mia,

    It probably would... I haven't tried it that way though. Perhaps, while you're making it you could
    'jar' half of it with and the other half without the chile.

    Let me know what you do and how it turns out.

    Cyndi

  9. Barry Grau

    Barry Grau Guest

    "Dimitri" <Dimitri_C@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<P9ZKb.54584$9V6.21739@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
    > "Mia" <mia_vaessen@gmx.net> wrote in message news:bthgbj$jep$00$1@news.t-online.com...
    > > hi group
    > >
    > > I have a carton of red seedless grapes that I want to use in a savory dish to complement seared
    > > duck breast. I found some recipes for grape chutneys, including one that used tomatoes -- I'm
    > > not sure about it tho. does anyone have recommendations for ingredients to use in a grape
    > > chutney? I'd also appreciate any non-salad ideas you have for savory grape recipes that
    > would
    > > fit well with a duck breast. I searched the net but came up with mostly versions of duck stuffed
    > > with grapes, recipes that didn't quite appeal to me, and many instances of a common joke about a
    > > duck that begins..."... A duck walks into a bar and goes up to the bartender. The bartender says
    > "What
    > > can I get you?" Duck: Umm. Do you have any grapes?" ... :)
    > >
    > > thank you in advance, Mia
    >
    > Traditionally the word "verionique" is used to describe dishes cookes with grapes. Usually green
    > seedless grapes.
    >
    > Here is one example.

    If I remember right, Jmaes McNair in his Chicken cookbook has a chicken with red grapes dish. I
    don't remember if he called it chicken veronique, but he did mention chicken veronique, and that
    it is traditionally made with green grapes. I think he claimed to like the version with red
    grapes better.

    -bwg