Graphite handlebars

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gd

I just recently bought a used road bike that came with graphite handlebars. These are, I assume, not
carbon. Anyone know what kind of strength I can expect from these things? Anybody ever used them?

GD

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> I just recently bought a used road bike that came with graphite handlebars. These are, I
> assume, not carbon. Anyone know what kind of strength I can expect from these things? Anybody
> ever used them?

Graphite is a form of carbon, and I think the fibers used in "carbon" components are actually in the
graphite form.

--
David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord,
it's morning".

Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

GD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I just recently bought a used road bike that came with graphite handlebars. These are, I
> assume, not carbon. Anyone know what kind of strength I can expect from these things? Anybody
> ever used them?
>
> GD

Carbon fiber handlebars are popular on the racing circuit. If you believe the press Mario Cipolinni
rides them and I've gotta believe he puts handlebars through a torture test coming down the final
straight to a tdf finish. Hardly an endoursement for touring though but they appear plenty strong.

If you are using a handlebar bag that clamps on to the handlebars I'd be a bit cautious about
tightening the clamps. The guys on rec.bicycles.tech should have more knowledge about clamping them.

my $0.02 Andy

In article <[email protected]>, amh <[email protected]> wrote:
>GD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> I just recently bought a used road bike that came with graphite handlebars. These are, I
>> assume, not carbon. Anyone know what kind of strength I can expect from these things? Anybody
>> ever used them?
>>
>> GD
>
>Carbon fiber handlebars are popular on the racing circuit. If you believe the press Mario Cipolinni
>rides them and I've gotta believe he puts handlebars through a torture test coming down the final
>straight to a tdf finish. Hardly an endoursement for touring though but they appear plenty strong.

I wonder how often Mario's bars get inspected compared to the typical bicycle enthusiast...?

--Paul

[email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote in message
news:<VQ49a.33180$A%[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, amh <[email protected]> wrote:
> >GD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >> I just recently bought a used road bike that came with graphite handlebars. These are, I
> >> assume, not carbon. Anyone know what kind of strength I can expect from these things? Anybody
> >> ever used them?
> >>
> >> GD
> >
> >Carbon fiber handlebars are popular on the racing circuit. If you believe the press Mario
> >Cipolinni rides them and I've gotta believe he puts handlebars through a torture test coming down
> >the final straight to a tdf finish. Hardly an endoursement for touring though but they appear
> >plenty strong.
>
> I wonder how often Mario's bars get inspected compared to the typical bicycle enthusiast...?
>
> --Paul

Good point. Probably as often as his blood.

However I've got a 1993 Trek 2300 that has carbon main triangle still riding it today. Carbon has a
good reptuation (with me at least) for handling stress. This includes riding and having the bike
fall off my roof rack as I was driving.

Everything should always be checked frequently.

Andy

In article <[email protected]>, amh <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>However I've got a 1993 Trek 2300 that has carbon main triangle still riding it today. Carbon has a
>good reptuation (with me at least) for handling stress.

I have seen plenty of failures of glued Treks and other similar frames and they don't usually create
the same sort of hazard you get when a fork or handlebar fails. A lugged carbon bike like that may
crack or pop a joint open but a similar failure of a fork or handlebar is a lot more likely to end
with blood on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.