Graphite handlebars

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Gd, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gd

Gd Guest

I just recently bought a used road bike that came with graphite handlebars. These are, I assume, not
    carbon. Anyone know what kind of strength I can expect from these things? Anybody ever used them?

GD

Tags:

2. Archer

Archer Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I just recently bought a used road bike that came with graphite handlebars. These are, I
    > assume, not carbon. Anyone know what kind of strength I can expect from these things? Anybody
    > ever used them?

Graphite is a form of carbon, and I think the fibers used in "carbon" components are actually in the
    graphite form.

--
    David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord,
    it's morning".

Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

3. Amh

Amh Guest

GD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just recently bought a used road bike that came with graphite handlebars. These are, I
    > assume, not carbon. Anyone know what kind of strength I can expect from these things? Anybody
    > ever used them?
    >
    > GD

Carbon fiber handlebars are popular on the racing circuit. If you believe the press Mario Cipolinni
    rides them and I've gotta believe he puts handlebars through a torture test coming down the final
    straight to a tdf finish. Hardly an endoursement for touring though but they appear plenty strong.

If you are using a handlebar bag that clamps on to the handlebars I'd be a bit cautious about
    tightening the clamps. The guys on rec.bicycles.tech should have more knowledge about clamping them.

my $0.02 Andy

4. In article <[email protected]>, amh <[email protected]> wrote:
    >GD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I just recently bought a used road bike that came with graphite handlebars. These are, I
    >> assume, not carbon. Anyone know what kind of strength I can expect from these things? Anybody
    >> ever used them?
    >>
    >> GD
    >
    >Carbon fiber handlebars are popular on the racing circuit. If you believe the press Mario Cipolinni
    >rides them and I've gotta believe he puts handlebars through a torture test coming down the final
    >straight to a tdf finish. Hardly an endoursement for touring though but they appear plenty strong.

I wonder how often Mario's bars get inspected compared to the typical bicycle enthusiast...?

--Paul

5. Amh

Amh Guest

[email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote in message
    news:<VQ49a.33180$A%[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, amh <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >GD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> I just recently bought a used road bike that came with graphite handlebars. These are, I
    > >> assume, not carbon. Anyone know what kind of strength I can expect from these things? Anybody
    > >> ever used them?
    > >>
    > >> GD
    > >
    > >Carbon fiber handlebars are popular on the racing circuit. If you believe the press Mario
    > >Cipolinni rides them and I've gotta believe he puts handlebars through a torture test coming down
    > >the final straight to a tdf finish. Hardly an endoursement for touring though but they appear
    > >plenty strong.
    >
    > I wonder how often Mario's bars get inspected compared to the typical bicycle enthusiast...?
    >
    > --Paul

Good point. Probably as often as his blood.

However I've got a 1993 Trek 2300 that has carbon main triangle still riding it today. Carbon has a
    good reptuation (with me at least) for handling stress. This includes riding and having the bike
    fall off my roof rack as I was driving.

Everything should always be checked frequently.

Andy

6. In article <[email protected]>, amh <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >However I've got a 1993 Trek 2300 that has carbon main triangle still riding it today. Carbon has a
    >good reptuation (with me at least) for handling stress.

I have seen plenty of failures of glued Treks and other similar frames and they don't usually create
    the same sort of hazard you get when a fork or handlebar fails. A lugged carbon bike like that may
    crack or pop a joint open but a similar failure of a fork or handlebar is a lot more likely to end
    with blood on the road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.