Grass is not greener the other side of the Channel...

Mr R@T \ -Lsqco

Guest
I have just subscribed to de.rec.fahrrad and fr.rec.sport.vtt, so my European language skills do not
become rusty like a neglected chain; and I can learn about *two* things at the same time ;)

Now I have always thought that the Germans has better facilities than ours with regard to cycling -
however, it appears at least in some areas the problems are much the same (I guess it may depend on
the attitudes of the municipal authorities).

Anyway, I found this.

http://home.t-online.de/home/erika.ciesla/radima.html

Even if your German is not that good, (and I must admit that I will have to bring out my
dictionaries and grammar guides to read the full articles), the pictures speak for themselves...

Alex

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard
of "Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Now I have always thought that the Germans has better facilities than ours with regard to cycling
> - however, it appears at least in some areas the problems are much the same (I guess it may depend
> on the attitudes of the municipal authorities).

I lived in Nurnberg some years ago. Cycling facilities were variable, and a chunk of my daily
commute was seriously hairy, with cobbled surface and about 10 inches clearance between the kerb and
the nearest tramline.

One thing was definitely better though. They had some pavement cycle lanes that would follow a main
road and cross lots of side roads, same as here. But where they cross the side roads, the cycle
lanes are marked and cyclists have priority - and the german drivers respect that.

--
Wear your paunch with pride!