Grass is not greener the other side of the Channel...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr R@T \ -Lsqco, Mar 2, 2003.

  1. I have just subscribed to de.rec.fahrrad and fr.rec.sport.vtt, so my European language skills do not
    become rusty like a neglected chain; and I can learn about *two* things at the same time ;)

    Now I have always thought that the Germans has better facilities than ours with regard to cycling -
    however, it appears at least in some areas the problems are much the same (I guess it may depend on
    the attitudes of the municipal authorities).

    Anyway, I found this.

    http://home.t-online.de/home/erika.ciesla/radima.html

    Even if your German is not that good, (and I must admit that I will have to bring out my
    dictionaries and grammar guides to read the full articles), the pictures speak for themselves...

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <eHn8a.1411$gq3.38@newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard
    of "Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <ratsnest23@sovtel.su> wrote:

    > Now I have always thought that the Germans has better facilities than ours with regard to cycling
    > - however, it appears at least in some areas the problems are much the same (I guess it may depend
    > on the attitudes of the municipal authorities).

    I lived in Nurnberg some years ago. Cycling facilities were variable, and a chunk of my daily
    commute was seriously hairy, with cobbled surface and about 10 inches clearance between the kerb and
    the nearest tramline.

    One thing was definitely better though. They had some pavement cycle lanes that would follow a main
    road and cross lots of side roads, same as here. But where they cross the side roads, the cycle
    lanes are marked and cyclists have priority - and the german drivers respect that.

    --
    Wear your paunch with pride!