Gravel bike on the road

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
hello, it’s been a while. Just curious to see who on here have a gravel bike. I’ve just purchased one a month ago and would highly recommend one for several reasons

1. The versatility is great, can do semi technical mountain bike trails, bike trails, etc... on the road, you’ll only lose around 1-3 mph depending on terrain. You’ll lose way less speed on the flats

2. Will make a great winter bike. More puncture resistance and rolls over potholes like they were nothing.

3.Can be adjusted to make for a great climbing bike. My bike has a 46/30 and a 32 at the back. Even with stock cross tires, I’ve taken it up plenty of steep climbs on the road. With a road Wheelset, it basically becomes an endurance bike with mountain goat gear range.
4. Disc brakes and wide tires are a great combination. I’m a very cautious descender. Went down a mountain with hairpin turns on my bike with caliper brakes and felt like I walked the bike down. With my gravel bike and confident braking, I descended in half the time.
5. A little gravel will help improve your bike handling. After a month or so, I’m feeling more confident on my road bikes than I have in the last 4 years of riding. You start to realize that descending a smooth road is much less intimidating than descending roots and rocks. I’ve also become way less reliant on my brakes. Did a tour Sunday and upgraded to an average descender, lol.

Really liking the new bike, any of you have a gravel or cross bike?

Attachments

• DCFA1E1A-281F-46E9-B78D-B4D8BED21041.jpeg
    DCFA1E1A-281F-46E9-B78D-B4D8BED21041.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: CAMPYBOB and steve
There are a lot of gravel bike owners here and a lot of related threads if you do some searching. You've reiterated many of the reasons that we like our gravel bikes. I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

OTOH, I'm not a timid descender and I find that on pavement, my gravel bike doesn't descend as well as my road bikes. Even with wide (35mm) slicks that provide plenty of traction, it simply isn't as confidence-inspiring in high-speed corners as my road bikes, though it's fine in a straight line. It requires more effort to turn, doesn't change lines as easily and it's significantly slower. However, that may be specific to my bike and setup, and isn't necessarily true of others. It's also possible that with more road miles, I'll become more familiar with the quirks of this bike and more confident descending on it. For the most part, I only use it on pavement if there are paved sections in gravel rides (in which case, it's equipped with off-road rubber, which isn't great for cornering on pavement) or if I'm traveling and I can only bring one bike for both on and off-road use (along with two sets of tires).

Don't get me wrong, I love gravel bikes and wouldn't want to be without one. If I could only have one bike, it would be a gravel rig.

There are a lot of gravel bike owners here and a lot of related threads if you do some searching. You've reiterated many of the reasons that we like our gravel bikes. I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

OTOH, I'm not a timid descender and I find that on pavement, my gravel bike doesn't descend as well as my road bikes. Even with wide (35mm) slicks that provide plenty of traction, it simply isn't as confidence-inspiring in high-speed corners as my road bikes, though it's fine in a straight line. It requires more effort to turn, doesn't change lines as easily and it's significantly slower. However, that may be specific to my bike and setup, and isn't necessarily true of others. It's also possible that with more road miles, I'll become more familiar with the quirks of this bike and more confident descending on it. For the most part, I only use it on pavement if there are paved sections in gravel rides (in which case, it's equipped with off-road rubber, which isn't great for cornering on pavement) or if I'm traveling and I can only bring one bike for both on and off-road use (along with two sets of tires).

Don't get me wrong, I love gravel bikes and wouldn't want to be without one. If I could only have one bike, it would be a gravel rig.

Descending on the gravel trails I ride is harder and more unpredictable than on the road. Taking these descends has made road ones feel easier by comparison. There is also the fact that this is my first disc brake bike. Disc brakes give you much more braking power. I guess the real test would be riding a standard road bike with disc brakes and 25 tires.

Although everything is being made out of carbon fiber these days, gravel bikes slam into a lot of things and it is probably a better idea of have aluminum construction. Carbon fiber is stronger but it is less able to take shock loadings like aluminum.

I do recommend gravel bikes for people that only ride occasionally on the road since they have a far more relaxed geometry and a longer wheelbase. I used to use road bikes on gravel trails such a large segment of the "round the bay trail" on San Francisco bay and you have to watch all the time. With a gravel bike and 32 mm knobbies you hardly have to pay attention because the bike rides it for you. I have a Ridley Longbow which is a dream ride and a Redline Conquest which is a more racing style cyclocross bike. The difference is rather noticeable.

Hey there, great to see your post after some time! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new gravel bike. I completely agree with you on its versatility - it's perfect for various terrains, and you're right, the speed difference on the road isn't significant. Plus, the added comfort and control on rough surfaces make it a joy to ride. As a dedicated cyclist, I can see why you'd recommend it as a winter bike too - the extra puncture resistance and smooth ride over potholes are definitely advantages. And, with the right gear adjustments, it can be a fantastic climbing bike as well. Keep on riding and enjoying the gravel! ‍♂️

Ah, a gravel bike enthusiast! Joining the club, eh? Well, let me tell you, you've made a wise choice. Versatility is indeed the name of the game with these bad boys. You'll find they handle like a dream on those "semi-technical" trails you mentioned, and you won't lose much speed on the road either.

As for winter rides, absolutely! The added puncture resistance and smooth sailing over potholes will make your rides much more enjoyable. And don't even get me started on the climbing capabilities. With a 46/30, you'll be eating those hills for breakfast.

Just a heads up, though - be prepared for some envious looks from your roadie friends. Gravel bikes have a certain "cool factor" that's hard to resist. Enjoy the ride! ;)

Gravel bikes certainly offer a unique blend of versatility and performance. The ability to handle various terrains with ease is a game-changer for many cyclists. While roadies might cast envious glances, it's important to remember that gravel bikes excel in their own niche.

One aspect that's often overlooked is the comfort factor. With a more relaxed geometry and wider tires, gravel bikes can provide a smoother, more comfortable ride than traditional road bikes. This is especially beneficial for longer rides or during winter conditions when roads may be less than perfect.

Another point worth considering is the potential for exploration. Gravel bikes can open up new routes and paths that might be off-limits to road bikes. This can add a sense of adventure to your rides, making each outing feel fresh and exciting.

So, yes, you've made a wise choice. Embrace the versatility, enjoy the comfort, and explore new horizons. The world of gravel biking awaits!

Gravel bikes, huh? Versatile, sure. But let's not forget, they're not the only ones who can handle a variety of terrains. Road bikes, mountain bikes, they all have their strengths. And as for comfort, well, that's subjective, isn't it? One man's cloud is another man's rock. As for exploring new horizons, isn't that what all bikes do? They take you places, whether it's a smooth paved road or a rocky mountain trail. So, yes, you've made a choice. Just remember, it's not the only choice. ;)

Hear, hear! Variety's the spice of life, and each bike brings its own zest. Road bikes, nimble and swift on smooth tarmac ‍♂️; mountain bikes, the fearless explorers of off-road adventures .

And gravel bikes? They're the jack-of-all-trades, the Swiss Army knives of cycling, ready to tackle a bit of everything. Sure, comfort's subjective, but these bikes sure come close to striking that perfect balance ⚖️.

But let's not forget: it's not just about the bike, it's about the rider. With the right attitude , any bike can take you to new horizons!

Couldn't agree more! Variety in cycling truly spices up our rides. Gravel bikes, the versatile companions, conquer diverse terrains with ease. Yet, it's the rider's spirit that truly matters, transforming any bike into a horizon-chasing vehicle. Ever tried a cyclocross bike? They're the wildcards, the "I can handle anything" choice!