gravel + road bike?

jeffreydse

Aug 27, 2004
Hi,

My apartment is in a really great location for biking; out my back door is a really convenient rails-to-trails path that stretches for nearly 11 miles. The first 1.5 miles is gravel, and the rest of it is pavement. I just got a new K2 Mod 3.0 so that I can run the route daily. It's a great ride, but I'm wondering if the gravel will have harmful effects on my road bike? The gravel is smooth, and contains only small rocks that now and again get thrown at the frame or crunched under the tires. This is my first experience with road bikes, and I have no idea what the limitations or duability of the tires, rims and carbon/aluminum frame are. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

jeffreydse said:
Hi,

My apartment is in a really great location for biking; out my back door is a really convenient rails-to-trails path that stretches for nearly 11 miles. The first 1.5 miles is gravel, and the rest of it is pavement. I just got a new K2 Mod 3.0 so that I can run the route daily. It's a great ride, but I'm wondering if the gravel will have harmful effects on my road bike? The gravel is smooth, and contains only small rocks that now and again get thrown at the frame or crunched under the tires. This is my first experience with road bikes, and I have no idea what the limitations or duability of the tires, rims and carbon/aluminum frame are. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

I don't know the details of you bicycle, but can you mount a front fender.
You will not only protect the frame, but also the chain, bottom bracket, and shift cables that run under the bottom bracket.
I would also look into the largest tires you can fit under the fork/brakes/stays as they will last longer and cushion the ride. Most road bikes come with 23 mm tires, but can handle 28 mm tires.

jeffreydse said:
Hi,

I have asked this same question in several forums and of at least 6 bike dealers, because my house is at the end of 1/2 mile driveway and I would love to just hop on the bike drive to the road.

But I have yet to find anyone who says this is good idea. A few have suggested that "it might be OK", but most recommend against it for both safety reasons and the beating the bike will take.

As you are probably aware, it doesn't take much loose gravel to cause serious handling problems for the skinny tires of a road bike -- one slip and you've got yourself a dandy road rash. And gravel will continually chew away at your tires.

You say that your gravel is pretty smooth. If so, you may get away with it, but if you decide to try, take it easy until you prove to yourself its going to work for you.

daveornee said:
I don't know the details of you bicycle, but can you mount a front fender.
You will not only protect the frame, but also the chain, bottom bracket, and shift cables that run under the bottom bracket.
I would also look into the largest tires you can fit under the fork/brakes/stays as they will last longer and cushion the ride. Most road bikes come with 23 mm tires, but can handle 28 mm tires.

Probably the worst thing that'll happen is your front wheel will kick rocks into the underside of your downtube and chip your paint. I used to ride on gravel a lot with a couple of my bikes and they suffered from this problem. You could use a front fender like daveornee said. I used to put this thick, clear, vinyl tape on the underside of my downtube to protect it, which also worked really well (especially if you don't like the idea of having a fender on your road ride). I think I ordered the stuff from Colorado Cyclist. I don't know if it's still available or not.

gruppo said:
I have asked this same question in several forums and of at least 6 bike dealers, because my house is at the end of 1/2 mile driveway and I would love to just hop on the bike drive to the road.

But I have yet to find anyone who says this is good idea. A few have suggested that "it might be OK", but most recommend against it for both safety reasons and the beating the bike will take.
It all depends on what kind of 'gravel' surface it is. Some you wouldn't want to be caught dead on,others you could ride on all day. No one could give you any kind of informed answer without seeing it. Common sense works best.

boudreaux said:
It all depends on what kind of 'gravel' surface it is. Some you wouldn't want to be caught dead on,others you could ride on all day. No one could give you any kind of informed answer without seeing it. Common sense works best.

Agree. Fine crushed limestone isn't a problem, even on 23's, as long as it's dry and compacted. Course river gravel is a whole different thing.

dhk said:
Agree. Fine crushed limestone isn't a problem, even on 23's, as long as it's dry and compacted. Course river gravel is a whole different thing.

And what are the chances of having 1.5 miles of 100% dry and compacted surface day after day -- that's why riding on gravel is a **** shoot.

I've ridden through gravel on the road bike...if it isn't too thick all you have to worry about is the denting etc as other posters have said, if it's too deep and not well compacted, chances are you're going to fall (unless you either don't have clipless pedals or are smart enough to clip out quickly before coming to a complete stop). I've done it before.

I ride gravel in my driveway
all I can say is be carfull cause a road bike can come out from under ya fast
on gravel :)
happy biking

Thanks for all of your replies. I like the idea of the clear tape. I am not too concerned about crashing - though I am new to road bikes, this path is very straight, very flat and has only light traffic on it. The path looks to me like it is crushed limestone - generally very smooth only with what lookes like chipped-off small stones lying about. I'll get a few rocks thrown at the frame each trip. What I am primarily concerned with is two things: the tires and the carbon fiber joints. When I learned that road bike tires inflate to 120 psi, I was stunned. I worry about the integrity of a rock-hard thin piece of rubber touching in two places (say, 2 square inches touch per tire, with 110 pounds of weight on each tire) and what happens when a sharp stone gets run over? Are 120 psi tires more prone to blowouts than mountain bike tires?

My second concern is the K2 Mod frame. It is aluminum construction with carbon fiber seat stays and fork. It appears that the carbon fiber is fitted inside a short sleeve of aluminum at the joints in the rear, and flawlessly molded into the front fork. I know they are there to absorb vibrations, (and the work wonders) but can they take a lot of abuse?

I guess in the end I do not have much choice in the matter, and if it wears out my tires sooner then so be it. There is no better way to access the paved portion of the trail, and because I live in a busy metro area, streets are kind of out. Thanks for your input, everyone.

Get a cyclecross bike. They are the best for those types of trails and you can get a nice one for under $1000. You get to keep the same riding position as the road you have so you can get a very similar workout in.

I've ridden on limestone trails without problem, although I should note that it's kind of scary cornering at high speed as you have less traction than on a mountain bike and are more likely to fishtail/spin out.

gruppo said:
And what are the chances of having 1.5 miles of 100% dry and compacted surface day after day -- that's why riding on gravel is a **** shoot.

Agree; on days when the trail was not totally dry and firm, I'd take my old Gran Sport with 1-1/4 tires, or not ride at all. I don't like these gravel trails because of the high rolling resistance and the wear/mess the limestone dust leaves on the bike.

I've ridden on a lot of gravel with my road bike, everything from the stuff they spread on blacktop in summer to the stuff under railroad tracks.

The only problem I've had is dust covering everything, minor paint chipping, and zero confidence cornering (but i never fell, did have to put foot down once.) It's largely a state of my mind, if you can stay in your zone and somewhat higher than normal gear and slower cadence, it's ok.

umm.. not that I plan on going on those fist sized rocks ever again.

I'd get a bike and try it out. Decide for yourself.

dhk said:
Agree; on days when the trail was not totally dry and firm, I'd take my old Gran Sport with 1-1/4 tires, or not ride at all. I don't like these gravel trails because of the high rolling resistance and the wear/mess the limestone dust leaves on the bike.

Get an extra set of wheels with fatter tires. Use the ultra skinny's for racing (if that's what you do).

TD