Gravesend-Tilbury ferry

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by davek, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. davek

    davek Guest

    Someone recently posted a question about cycling routes from Dover to
    The North and whether you could take your bike on the Gravesend-Tilbury
    ferry.

    I discovered today that the ferry has been out of service for over a
    year. This is a big nuisance for anyone who wants to ride their bike
    from east Kent to Cambridge (ie me).

    I guess the alternative option for getting across the river would be
    either using the police escort service at Dartford or heading into
    London to use the Woolwich ferry. Neither particularly appeals.

    d.

    Tags:

  2. Jo

    Jo Guest

    That is a big blow. I was planning to use it on my Dover - Durness ride.
    Will have to re-think route. Is it permanently out of service?
    Jo

    news:[email protected]

  3. davek wrote:

    > I guess the alternative option for getting across the river would be
    > either using the police escort service at Dartford

    Whats that ?.

  4. davek

    davek Guest

    Jo wrote:
    > Is it permanently out of service?

    I'm not sure, but the friend that told me seemed to think so - he was
    intending to cycle up to Stansted airport last summer and ended up
    having to go through London after arriving in Gravesend to find a notice
    saying "closed until further notice".

    d.

  5. Jo

    Jo Guest

    "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Someone recently posted a question about cycling routes from Dover to
    > The North and whether you could take your bike on the Gravesend-Tilbury
    > ferry.
    >
    > I discovered today that the ferry has been out of service for over a
    > year. This is a big nuisance for anyone who wants to ride their bike
    > from east Kent to Cambridge (ie me).
    >
    > I guess the alternative option for getting across the river would be
    > either using the police escort service at Dartford or heading into
    > London to use the Woolwich ferry. Neither particularly appeals.
    >
    > d.

    I contacted Thurrock Council to find out what is happening with the ferry. I
    got a very speedy reply, as follows:-
    Hi Jo

    I'm pleased to say you've been misinformed.

    The ferry has been operating well in the last few months, though it has had
    a fairly chequered history over the last few years.

    It would be worth checking nearer the time of your journey.

    Best wishes

    Andy Tilbrook
    Communications Consultant
    Thurrock Council
    01375 652062
    Fax: 01375 652784
    [email protected]
    ....It looks like I will be best to leave my route as it is, and check again
    later as I don't plan to do the trip until April 2005.

  6. davek

    davek Guest

    Jo wrote:
    > I'm pleased to say you've been misinformed.

    Thanks for that, and apologies for giving out duff information.

    d.

  7. Jo

    Jo Guest

    "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Jo wrote:
    > > I'm pleased to say you've been misinformed.

    > Thanks for that, and apologies for giving out duff information.
    >
    > d.

    I am glad you posted the original information - it prompted me to check it
    out, and I now know I need to check it out again nearer the time.
    Thanks, Jo

  8. D.M. Procida

    D.M. Procida Guest

    davek <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Someone recently posted a question about cycling routes from Dover to
    > The North and whether you could take your bike on the Gravesend-Tilbury
    > ferry.

    Is there a similar ferry between South Wales and North Devon? There
    ought to be...

    Daniele
    --
    Apple Juice Ltd
    Chapter Arts Centre

  9. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Minehead (OK Somerset) to Barry, stopped operating around WW2 I think

    "D.M. Procida" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:1gjpfjv.fq7phmbu1vn7N%[email protected]

  10. On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 19:01:32 +0100, D.M. Procida wrote:

    > davek <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Someone recently posted a question about cycling routes from Dover to
    >> The North and whether you could take your bike on the Gravesend-Tilbury
    >> ferry.

    > Is there a similar ferry between South Wales and North Devon? There
    > ought to be...

    Indeed there is.
    I found out about it via a post to the Southwark cylists list today.
    Barry to Ilfracombe I gather.

  11. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "ScumOfTheRoad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 19:01:32 +0100, D.M. Procida wrote:
    >
    > > davek <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Someone recently posted a question about cycling routes from Dover to
    > >> The North and whether you could take your bike on the Gravesend-Tilbury
    > >> ferry.

    > > Is there a similar ferry between South Wales and North Devon? There
    > > ought to be...

    If you can make sense of this:

    http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/bchannelbalmoral.pdf

  12. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 22:09:39 +0100, Martin Newstead wrote:
    > davek wrote:
    >
    >> I guess the alternative option for getting across the river would be
    >> either using the police escort service at Dartford

    > Whats that ?.

    (this is from my knowledge of a few years ago, so may be slightly out of
    date) The tunnels (M25/Dartford) are still an 'A' road, so in theory are
    open to all traffic.
    At the toll booths, anything not normally allowed on the Motorway has to
    wait to be escorted through by the Police.This used to include petrol
    tankers as well(there would be a number of tankers parked up at the North
    entrance waiting for an escort).
    Peds and cycles were put on a bus.I presume the same applies south over
    the bridge for peds and cycles.
    Alan.

    http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

  13. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:55:56 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

    > On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 22:09:39 +0100, Martin Newstead wrote:
    >> davek wrote:
    >>
    >>> I guess the alternative option for getting across the river would be
    >>> either using the police escort service at Dartford

    >> Whats that ?.

    (there would be a number of tankers parked up at the North
    > entrance waiting for an escort).

    That should read, waiting to go North.

  14. ScumOfTheRoad wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 19:01:32 +0100, D.M. Procida wrote:
    >
    >> davek <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Someone recently posted a question about cycling routes from Dover to
    >>> The North and whether you could take your bike on the Gravesend-Tilbury
    >>> ferry.

    >> Is there a similar ferry between South Wales and North Devon? There
    >> ought to be...

    > Indeed there is.
    > I found out about it via a post to the Southwark cylists list today.
    > Barry to Ilfracombe I gather.

    There's a boat from Swansea to Ilfracombe, too. Summer only, once a day,
    unless it's changed. There are also trips from Penarth pier.

    "You have nothing to fear, but fear itself....and monsters."
    - Richard Herring