Grease and bearings

closesupport

Banned
Jul 18, 2004
what is the best type of grease or bearings to put in a cupped bottom bracket,

i have tryed 3 types of grease but only steel bearings, but i have found that when i'm spinning in lower gears the grease seams to pretty much liquidise and come pouring out after 10-15minutes of fast spinning?

can anyone give me any idea what would be he best stuff to use since i don't really want to have to take out the bottom bracket each time i use the bike plus the craking sound at 250-300watts of the dry bearings grating is quite distracting?

thanks chris.

closesupport said:

i have tryed 3 types of grease but only steel bearings, but i have found that when i'm spinning in lower gears the grease seams to pretty much liquidise and come pouring out after 10-15minutes of fast spinning?

can anyone give me any idea what would be he best stuff to use since i don't really want to have to take out the bottom bracket each time i use the bike plus the craking sound at 250-300watts of the dry bearings grating is quite distracting?

thanks chris.
Waterproof marine bearing grease. Cheap at wallymart. Any auto wheel bearing grease will also work.

boudreaux said:
Waterproof marine bearing grease. Cheap at wallymart. Any auto wheel bearing grease will also work.
I'm not sure if i've tryed this one, i think the LBS uses it, is it like a reddish colour, runs for about 200miles if its the same, then same happens it becomes runny and ouzes out when it gets hot? you see i don't want to be disasembaling my bb every week.

closesupport said:
I'm not sure if i've tryed this one, i think the LBS uses it, is it like a reddish colour, runs for about 200miles if its the same, then same happens it becomes runny and ouzes out when it gets hot? you see i don't want to be disasembaling my bb every week.
Believe Phil Wood grease is red. I just use auto wheel bearing grease on pedals and hubs. It's high-temp rated for car bearings with disc brakes. May be a bit heavier than needed for the bike bearings though.

But, why does your BB heat up when you ride? Unless you have some drag or friction in the bearings, don't see why your BB would get warm and melt grease out.

closesupport said:

thanks chris.
I've been using Shimano's Spin Doctor grease. I have a friend who swears by Park's Polylube 1000. He says that's all they use at the bike shop where he works. After I use up my stash of Spin Doctor grease I'm going for some Valvoline 614 or some marine bearing grease as Boudreaux suggests. It's cheap and it works. I seriously doubt that I'm going to be cranking my pedals with such incredible forces that I'd need anything more substantial. The only problem is it stinks!

dhk said:
But, why does your BB heat up when you ride? Unless you have some drag or friction in the bearings, don't see why your BB would get warm and melt grease out.
Even Super Mario doesn't put enough watts into a BB to get decent grease hot enough to thin out and run.....I had white lithium get runny(in hubs),but that was in Amarillo Tx, midsummer when the asphalt was literally melting.But W Lithium is pretty sorry compared to good wheel bearing grease.

closesupport said:
Just wondering if you're using too much grease in the cups. A coating in the cups 1/3 to 1/2 the diameter of the ball bearings should be plenty....like 1/16". More than that creates excess drag.

If excess grease oozes out, I'd just wipe it off and keep riding. Unless the bearings dry out totally and start making noise, believe your BB will be fine.