Grease for bike

Artoi wrote:
> Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
> priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.
>
> So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
> sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
> quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
> anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?...

YES, there is a NEGATIVE.

You can not brag about the expensive grease you use on your expensive
bike, after you ride it to the coffee shop three blocks from your home.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Johnny Sunset" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi wrote:
> > Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
> > priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.
> >
> > So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
> > sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
> > quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
> > anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?...

> YES, there is a NEGATIVE.
>
> You can not brag about the expensive grease you use on your expensive
> bike, after you ride it to the coffee shop three blocks from your home.

Oh yes I can. This grease I bought is red in colour and is quite
visible. I'll leave a tiny residue for people to see and brag about it.
I'll just have make up a story on some exotic red grease ingredient. :D
--

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> bfd wrote:
> > Artoi wrote:
> > > Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
> > > priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.
> > >
> > > So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of

grease
> > > sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of

high
> > > quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
> > > anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the

LBS?

> > > Of course I'll avoid using this stuff on any carbon parts. But for

those

http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?i...&sc=Grease-Bearing&tc=Pennzoil&item_id=PZ-705

> > At $5 per 1lb tub, its reasonably priced and very similar to Campy
> > grease.
> >
> > Then again, if you really have to get Campy grease, be prepared to

pay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=270050021769&rd=1&rd=1

> Three figures for a used, open tub of grease!!! eBay, the idiot's
> playground. Ya gotta love it.

A fool and his money are soon parted.....

Chas.

On 2006-11-14, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
><[email protected]
>>,

> Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > "Designer" bicycle grease is just another way that avaricious
>> > marketeers take advantage of the gullible. Grease is a commodity
>> > product.

>> Looking at Finish Line's teflon grease, they say that being synthetic,
>> it's less likely to wash out by water compared with Li based grease. Is
>> there any truth in that?

> Do not know. I know that Li grease is more water
> resistant than standard grease.

This is what I've heard too (from LBSs selling me Li grease). This is
consistent with the fact that bearings on cars are properly water sealed
unlike the ones on bikes.

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:38:07 +0000, Michael Press wrote:

> Do not know. I know that Li grease is more water
> resistant than standard grease.

Almost all commonly available grease is Li grease, whether it's labeled
that way or not. Synthetic or mineral, it's still usually Li grease.

Matt O.

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:56:21 -0600, Ben C wrote:

> This is what I've heard too (from LBSs selling me Li grease). This is
> consistent with the fact that bearings on cars are properly water sealed
> unlike the ones on bikes.

Not really. Think of it like a bicycle pedal, where the outer bearing has
a cap over the axle end so it's completely sealed, but the inner bearing
has a simple seal that can allow water intrusion. In normal driving, the
inner bearing on a car wheel is shielded from spray. But driving your car
through axle-deep water can certainly help destroy wheel bearings, among
other things. Anyone with long term experience with boat trailers knows
how their wheel bearings must be serviced periodically, especially in
preparation for long trips.

Matt O.

* * Chas wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > bfd wrote:

> grease

> high

> LBS?

> those
> > > I like Pennzoil white grease:
> > >

> http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?i...&sc=Grease-Bearing&tc=Pennzoil&item_id=PZ-705
> > >
> > > At $5 per 1lb tub, its reasonably priced and very similar to Campy
> > > grease.
> > >
> > > Then again, if you really have to get Campy grease, be prepared to

> pay:
> > >

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=270050021769&rd=1&rd=1
> >
> > Three figures for a used, open tub of grease!!! eBay, the idiot's
> > playground. Ya gotta love it.
> >

> A fool and his money are soon parted.....

There's alot of that going on in eBay, eh? I see people paying more
than retail for commonly available stuff. OY!

> Chas.

news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:56:21 -0600, Ben C wrote:
>
> > This is what I've heard too (from LBSs selling me Li grease). This

is
> > consistent with the fact that bearings on cars are properly water

sealed
> > unlike the ones on bikes.

> Not really. Think of it like a bicycle pedal, where the outer bearing

has
> a cap over the axle end so it's completely sealed, but the inner

bearing
> has a simple seal that can allow water intrusion. In normal driving,

the
> inner bearing on a car wheel is shielded from spray. But driving your

car
> through axle-deep water can certainly help destroy wheel bearings,

among
> other things. Anyone with long term experience with boat trailers

knows
> how their wheel bearings must be serviced periodically, especially in
> preparation for long trips.
>
> Matt O.

You see those who don't sitting on the side of the road with their boat
trailer waiting for a tow truck! ;-)

news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:56:21 -0600, Ben C wrote:
>
> > This is what I've heard too (from LBSs selling me Li grease). This

is
> > consistent with the fact that bearings on cars are properly water

sealed
> > unlike the ones on bikes.

> Not really. Think of it like a bicycle pedal, where the outer bearing

has
> a cap over the axle end so it's completely sealed, but the inner

bearing
> has a simple seal that can allow water intrusion. In normal driving,

the
> inner bearing on a car wheel is shielded from spray. But driving your

car
> through axle-deep water can certainly help destroy wheel bearings,

among
> other things. Anyone with long term experience with boat trailers

knows
> how their wheel bearings must be serviced periodically, especially in
> preparation for long trips.
>
> Matt O.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the boat trailer grease, never thought of
that.

I like Phil grease for cables and light duty stuff. I found that it
seeps out of bearings over time in high temperature locations but it's
never dried out or hardened on me. I use sealed hubs and BBs in wet
weather. I have a Phil BB that's over 30 years old in one of my bikes.
It's never been regreased and still runs smooth.

I bought a $12 can of Park grease a few months ago so I'm set for a
while.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:56:21 -0600, Ben C wrote:
> >
> > > This is what I've heard too (from LBSs selling me Li grease). This

> is
> > > consistent with the fact that bearings on cars are properly water

> sealed
> > > unlike the ones on bikes.

> > Not really. Think of it like a bicycle pedal, where the outer bearing

> has
> > a cap over the axle end so it's completely sealed, but the inner

> bearing
> > has a simple seal that can allow water intrusion. In normal driving,

> the
> > inner bearing on a car wheel is shielded from spray. But driving your

> car
> > through axle-deep water can certainly help destroy wheel bearings,

> among
> > other things. Anyone with long term experience with boat trailers

> knows
> > how their wheel bearings must be serviced periodically, especially in
> > preparation for long trips.
> >
> > Matt O.

> BTW, thanks for the tip on the boat trailer grease, never thought of
> that.
>
> I like Phil grease for cables and light duty stuff. I found that it
> seeps out of bearings over time in high temperature locations but it's
> never dried out or hardened on me.

Check out LubriMatic Marine Grease; lay down a bead of that stuff, then
a bead of Phil's. Surprise!

I prefer SuperTech Marine Grease; harder to work with, but really
resistant to "washout". Cheap, too.

> I use sealed hubs and BBs in wet
> weather. I have a Phil BB that's over 30 years old in one of my bikes.
> It's never been regreased and still runs smooth.
>
> I bought a $12 can of Park grease a few months ago so I'm set for a
> while.
>
> Chas.

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> * * Chas wrote:

<snip>
> > I like Phil grease for cables and light duty stuff. I found that it
> > seeps out of bearings over time in high temperature locations but

it's
> > never dried out or hardened on me.

> Check out LubriMatic Marine Grease; lay down a bead of that stuff,

then
> a bead of Phil's. Surprise!

Sounds like some kind of swirly toothpaste! ;-)

> I prefer SuperTech Marine Grease; harder to work with, but really
> resistant to "washout". Cheap, too.
>
> > I use sealed hubs and BBs in wet
> > weather. I have a Phil BB that's over 30 years old in one of my

bikes.
> > It's never been regreased and still runs smooth.
> >
> > I bought a $12 can of Park grease a few months ago so I'm set for a
> > while.

I was wondering if the Park grease was a mixture of Phil type grease and
Li grease?

Another thing that I like about Phil grease is that it doesn't smell bad
(tastes good too!).

Chas.

In article
<[email protected]>,
Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:38:07 +0000, Michael Press wrote:
>
> > Do not know. I know that Li grease is more water
> > resistant than standard grease.

> Almost all commonly available grease is Li grease, whether it's labeled
> that way or not. Synthetic or mineral, it's still usually Li grease.

Really? 'Lithium' is derived from a word meaning white.
This is because lithium is white, very white; and this
is why lithium grease is white. Can you show me
evidence of lithium grease that is not white?

--
Michael Press

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:23:11 -0500, Matt O'Toole
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The only place you have to be careful with the type of grease

is in Hugi
> >or King hubs, which may require grease of a certain

consistency to
> >function properly.

> From what I've heard, there is no grease which can be relied

upon to
> keep a Hugi from cratering.

What's the deal with Hugi hubs? Do they die easily? -- Jay
Beattie.

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:38:07 +0000, Michael Press wrote:
> >
> > > Do not know. I know that Li grease is more water
> > > resistant than standard grease.

> > Almost all commonly available grease is Li grease, whether it's labeled
> > that way or not. Synthetic or mineral, it's still usually Li grease.

> Really? 'Lithium' is derived from a word meaning white.
> This is because lithium is white, very white; and this
> is why lithium grease is white. Can you show me
> evidence of lithium grease that is not white?

Funny you should ask; I'm holding a container labeled: "LubriMatic
Multi-Purpose Lithium Grease". It's a translucent tan/brown; certainly
not white. Have LubriMatic mis-labeled the product, or are you in error
on this matter?

RSVP

* * Chas wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > * * Chas wrote:

> <snip>
> > > I like Phil grease for cables and light duty stuff. I found that it
> > > seeps out of bearings over time in high temperature locations but

> it's
> > > never dried out or hardened on me.

> > Check out LubriMatic Marine Grease; lay down a bead of that stuff,

> then
> > a bead of Phil's. Surprise!
> >

> Sounds like some kind of swirly toothpaste! ;-)

Shoulda said: have a friend lay down the beads of grease (out of your
sight), then you try to tell which is LubriMatic Marine Grease and
which is Phil's OverPriced Grease.

> > I prefer SuperTech Marine Grease; harder to work with, but really
> > resistant to "washout". Cheap, too.
> >
> > > I use sealed hubs and BBs in wet
> > > weather. I have a Phil BB that's over 30 years old in one of my

> bikes.
> > > It's never been regreased and still runs smooth.
> > >
> > > I bought a $12 can of Park grease a few months ago so I'm set for a
> > > while.

> I was wondering if the Park grease was a mixture of Phil type grease and
> Li grease?
>
> Another thing that I like about Phil grease is that it doesn't smell bad
> (tastes good too!).

Please leave your personal predilictions off this public forum! ;-)

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:50:12 -0800, * * Chas wrote:

> BTW, thanks for the tip on the boat trailer grease, never thought of
> that.
>
> I like Phil grease for cables and light duty stuff. I found that it
> seeps out of bearings over time in high temperature locations but it's
> never dried out or hardened on me. I use sealed hubs and BBs in wet
> weather.

Phil grease is a marine grease, allegedly developed for saltwater fishing
reels.

Matt O.

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:12:30 +0000, Michael Press wrote:

> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:38:07 +0000, Michael Press wrote:
>>
>> > Do not know. I know that Li grease is more water
>> > resistant than standard grease.

>> Almost all commonly available grease is Li grease, whether it's labeled
>> that way or not. Synthetic or mineral, it's still usually Li grease.

> Really? 'Lithium' is derived from a word meaning white.
> This is because lithium is white, very white; and this
> is why lithium grease is white. Can you show me
> evidence of lithium grease that is not white?

I just did. Read some labels at your local auto parts store, crack an
engineering textbook, or google it yourself. You might learn something.

Matt O.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> Michael Press wrote:
>> In article
>> <[email protected]>,
>> Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Almost all commonly available grease is Li grease, whether it's
>>> labeled that way or not. Synthetic or mineral, it's still usually
>>> Li grease.

>> Really? 'Lithium' is derived from a word meaning white.
>> This is because lithium is white, very white; and this
>> is why lithium grease is white. Can you show me
>> evidence of lithium grease that is not white?
>>

> Funny you should ask; I'm holding a container labeled: "LubriMatic
> Multi-Purpose Lithium Grease". It's a translucent tan/brown; certainly
> not white. Have LubriMatic mis-labeled the product, or are you in
> error on this matter?

Micheal is in error unless Comma and Castrol LM greases are also
mislabelled. They're the same translucent tan colour.

~PB

Michael Press wrote:

> Really? 'Lithium' is derived from a word meaning white.
> This is because lithium is white, very white; and this
> is why lithium grease is white. Can you show me
> evidence of lithium grease that is not white?

http://www.dek.com/data/LM%20Grease%20(1631)%20SDS.pdf - section 9

~PB

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Almost all commonly available grease is Li grease, whether it's labeled
> > > that way or not. Synthetic or mineral, it's still usually Li grease.

> > Really? 'Lithium' is derived from a word meaning white.
> > This is because lithium is white, very white; and this
> > is why lithium grease is white. Can you show me
> > evidence of lithium grease that is not white?
> >

> Funny you should ask; I'm holding a container labeled: "LubriMatic
> Multi-Purpose Lithium Grease". It's a translucent tan/brown; certainly
> not white. Have LubriMatic mis-labeled the product, or are you in error
> on this matter?

I cannot be in error because I did not made a
categorical assertion in the matter. Apparently,
lithium grease need not be white. Thanks.

--
Michael Press