Grease for bike

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > It's good stuff, enough that I might even pay $6 for the more convenient
> > tube (compared to a tub). But it's not $6 in any bike shop I frequent,
> > more like $9.

> It's quite a bit cheaper for the shop if they buy direct from Phil, rather
> than through a distributor. Most shops probably don't realize you can do
> that.
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

We buy it from QBP, and even with a generous margin, we charge $5.99....

cut

What do you think about Metal grease for mounting?

Is that a grease or what?

mika

"Mika Preserator Team" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> cut
>
> What do you think about Metal grease for mounting?
>
> Is that a grease or what?
>
> mika

Are you inquiring about anti-seize compounds that contain metal powder?

If so, they are generally not designed for lubrication purposes. They
contain grease as a carrier to allow the compound to stick to the
surfaces that they are applied.

Chas.

Mika Preserator writes:

> What do you think about Metal grease for mounting?

> Is that a grease or what?

As you say, it's for mounting or assembly of parts that essentially do
not move in use. The reason for using this is that interfaces such as
freewheels, pedals and other screwed-on parts, fret with micro motions
that displace any oil in the interface and cause local welding. With
soft metal flakes in the grease, these particles are not displace, not
being able to flow, and make the part removable after long use. Most
people who remember removing sprockets and freewheels that screwed on
have a feel for metal seizure (local welding). Anti-Seize compound
are designed to lessen that effect.

http://www.jetlube.com/NewFiles/aseaz.htmlr

Jobst Brandt

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:12:30 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article
> ><[email protected]>,
> > Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Almost all commonly available grease is Li grease, whether it's labeled
> >> that way or not. Synthetic or mineral, it's still usually Li grease.

> >Really? 'Lithium' is derived from a word meaning white.

> No.
>
> Greek "lithos" = "stone".

That is so. I do not know what I was thinking.

--
Michael Press

[email protected] wrote:
> Mika Preserator writes:
>
> > What do you think about Metal grease for mounting?

> > Is that a grease or what?

> As you say, it's for mounting or assembly of parts that essentially do
> not move in use. The reason for using this is that interfaces such as
> freewheels, pedals and other screwed-on parts, fret with micro motions
> that displace any oil in the interface and cause local welding. With
> soft metal flakes in the grease, these particles are not displace, not
> being able to flow, and make the part removable after long use. Most
> people who remember removing sprockets and freewheels that screwed on
> have a feel for metal seizure (local welding). Anti-Seize compound
> are designed to lessen that effect.
>
> http://www.jetlube.com/NewFiles/aseaz.htmlr
>
> Jobst Brandt

Thank you very much