Grease Guard - how to protect my rubbers?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Mayer, May 29, 2003.

  1. Dave Mayer

    Dave Mayer Guest

    BlankI've just assembled my Ebay road bike. Yes, all of the components were bought individually off
    of Ebay and placed on a new mail-order frame and fork. Justification: I have every single part that
    I want - no compromises. And, it came in much cheaper than a comparable package at my LBS. The
    downside of this approach is the time required and the fact that I don't have manuals for two of my
    components.

    My headset and bottom bracket are new Suntour Grease Guard units. I need advice regarding lubricants
    compatible with the rubber (?) seals. I've done a search on the web and the only reference I have
    found is a Usenet recommendation that I should not use a lithium-based grease. Given that lithium
    soap is about the most inert substance made, this recommendation is nonsense. Is the petroleum-based
    lubricant (oil) in grease a problem? Is a silcon-based grease the answer?

    Can someone provide me with the lubrication instructions for the Suntour or WTB GG units? Thanks in
    advance...

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > BlankI've just assembled my Ebay road bike. Yes, all of the components
    were
    > bought individually off of Ebay and placed on a new mail-order frame and fork. Justification: I
    > have every single part that I want - no
    compromises.
    > And, it came in much cheaper than a comparable package at my LBS. The downside of this approach is
    > the time required and the fact that I don't have manuals for two of my components.
    >
    > My headset and bottom bracket are new Suntour Grease Guard units. I need advice regarding
    > lubricants compatible with the rubber (?) seals. I've
    done
    > a search on the web and the only reference I have found is a Usenet recommendation that I should
    > not use a lithium-based grease. Given that lithium soap is about the most inert substance made,
    > this recommendation
    is
    > nonsense. Is the petroleum-based lubricant (oil) in grease a problem? Is
    > silcon-based grease the answer?
    >
    > Can someone provide me with the lubrication instructions for the Suntour
    or
    > WTB GG units? Thanks in advance...

    The directions included with the GreaseGuard BB say "grease", the 1993 catalog tech notes say
    "WTB/Suntour grease". We've been shooting Lubriplate 130AA white lithium grease through these in
    service for a decade without any damage to the synthetic ( not rubber) seals.

  3. Dave Mayer

    Dave Mayer Guest

    Andrew: thanks. I'll use white lithium in my grease gun.

    BTW: I'm using a Microlite GG BB on my new road bike. Would anyone out there have just a 113mm
    (or so) spindle for these units? My BB shell width is 68mm. I may need a spare at some point in
    the future.

    > > My headset and bottom bracket are new Suntour Grease Guard units. I
    need
    > > advice regarding lubricants compatible with the rubber (?) seals. I've
    > done
    > > a search on the web and the only reference I have found is a Usenet recommendation that I should
    > > not use a lithium-based grease. Given that lithium soap is about the most inert substance made,
    > > this recommendation
    > is
    > > nonsense. Is the petroleum-based lubricant (oil) in grease a problem?
    Is
    > > silcon-based grease the answer?
    > >
    > > Can someone provide me with the lubrication instructions for the Suntour
    > or
    > > WTB GG units? Thanks in advance...
    >

    > The directions included with the GreaseGuard BB say "grease", the 1993 catalog tech notes say
    > "WTB/Suntour grease". We've been shooting
    Lubriplate
    > 130AA white lithium grease through these in service for a decade without
    any
    > damage to the synthetic ( not rubber) seals.
    >

    > --
    > Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  4. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2003 04:00:50 GMT "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Given that lithium soap is about the most inert substance made, this recommendation is nonsense. Is
    >the petroleum-based lubricant (oil) in grease a problem? Is a silcon-based grease the answer?

    You're exactly right. I suspect that phrases like this get included only in literature that comes
    from folks who also sell "special" grease.

    Any grease is fine. Petroleum greases are better than silicone greases for metal to metal
    lubrication.

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA