Grease on a New Bike

Webby

Guest
Hi all,

I have seen that new bikes are coming with a covering of grease on the chain and rear cog wheels. Is
this for "delivery protection" of the product until it passes to the hand of a customer or is this
normal practice.

Is this grease to be washed off and replaced by an oil lubricant?

Cheers

Webby

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:

Leave it on..it penetrates very well into the bushings. It will collect dust on the outside fairly
easily, but just wipe it off when it gets a little dirty. Clean as normal at your regular interval.

Cheers,

Scott..
--
Scott Anderson

"Webby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have seen that new bikes are coming with a covering of grease on the chain and rear cog wheels.
> Is this for "delivery protection" of the product until it passes to the hand of a customer or is
> this normal practice.
>
> Is this grease to be washed off and replaced by an oil lubricant?
>
> Cheers
>
> Webby
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
> contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
> http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

I'd get rid of it and go with a decent lube, loads to choose from, recently I switched to a
greeseless LPS lube on the chain, its used for office equipment, gets about 25 miles before reapp
and dust doesn't stick as bad. The problem with leaving greese on your chain is that is combines
with dust/sand to form a sanding grit that eats your chain and eventually cassette, chain rings.
Most chains uncared for and just oiled/greesed last about 400 miles of trail riding, if cared for
you can double that. I wash off my chain with mild solvent then blow out the grit from the chain
with compressed air which leaves a clean dry surface to lube. Good luck!

Tauras http://www.slonet.org/~tsulaiti/surfreport/

news:[email protected]...