Greasing a Gary Fisher Marlin Crank

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Greg-O, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Greg-O

Greg-O New Member

Yes, this is a beginner question, but recently my crank has started to creak, and I think it needs to be greased. Well, I can't figure out how to get in there! :(
    Yeah I know I sound really stupid right now. Does anyone else know how you grease the crank on Marlin? I'm hoping it isn't sealed :(

And my last question, is white lithium grease ok?

Tags:

2. will1988

will1988 New Member

I had this same problem and to sought it you should tighten your crank bolts and put a good quality cycle lube down where the seat tube goes this will lubricate the BB. As for litium grease it is very good.

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

That is nonsense. A cartridge BB like ones currently in use are sealed and get no internal grease. If you were to try and lube an old ball and cup type that way you would likely succeed in only getting more contamination into it,and many were protected by stufff coming down the seattube by a plastic sleeve.

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Make sure the crankbolts and chainring bolts are tight. If you have a current cartridge type BB, it gets no internal grease,but the threads on the cartridge might need some to stop creaking. If you have a ball and cup type BB, www.parktool.com has the lowdown on how to service them and tools needed.There is better stuff than white lithium.