Greasing the chain

rarriola

Nov 19, 2004
How often are you supposed to grease the chain? I've had mine for about 800 miles and all that has been done is the 30 day, where I'm assuming they greased it.

Also, what kind of grease do you use?

rarriola said:
How often are you supposed to grease the chain? I've had mine for about 800 miles and all that has been done is the 30 day, where I'm assuming they greased it.

Use proper chain lube,not grease. Probably about every 200 miles depending on lots of things.Never assume anything.

Put on chain lube as often as you like, just remember to wipe if off after it has a chance to soak in. It won't hurt to do it every time you go on a long ride, but that may get expensive. Once a month is more like it.

rarriola said:

I'd put a drop of 3in1 oil on each pin the night before my long weekly ride and wipe off the excess as I was getting my gear on, pumping up the tires and water bottles filled.

This summer, however, I'm going to try a different approach. Broke down and bought some Boeshield T-9 and am going to give that a whirl.

I commute 75 miles a week and have found cleaning and lubricating the chain weekly gives good results. That's riding in dry conditions. If I let it go more than a week the chain gets noisy and shifting suffers. That schedule has kept my chain running well for about 6,000 miles.

I bought a Finish Line chain cleaner four years ago. It makes it easy to clean the chain on the bike and it doesn't use much degreaser. It makes a 20oz bottle of Ecotech last about 10 months. After drying with a rag I apply lubricant. I've used White Lightning and Finish Line...both have delivered good results. After applying a drop to each link I dry with a rag again. The idea is to get the lubricant to the moving parts but remove any excess that would let road grime to adhere to the chain.