Great Alpine Road in June

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by [email protected], Mar 19, 2006.

  1. Hi Guys,

    Would be interested to hear from someone that has travelled this road
    in june. I'm planning a trip and would like to know if the road/snow
    conditions will close or limit access to this route at this time of
    year.

    Thanks,
    Paul

    Tags:

  2. CB

    CB Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > Would be interested to hear from someone that has travelled this road
    > in june. I'm planning a trip and would like to know if the road/snow
    > conditions will close or limit access to this route at this time of
    > year.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    I would suggest that it is not the right time of year to do that road.
    As a Cross-Country skier, I have seen *very* bad weather up there at
    that time of the year (whiteouts and blizzards) when you start to get up
    high. The trouble is the rapidity of the change in weather. Perfect one
    minute, whiteout the next. Extremely hazardous road and vehicles will
    not be looking for cyclist or be able to safely pass you.
    Have you ridden in snow before? Not something you would do unless you
    have great health insurance and ambulance cover. :)
    You would have to take precautions against this at any time of the year,
    but June is getting foolhardy.
    Better done early Autumn, late spring.
    Cheers
    CB

  3. Paul. T. Oconnell wrote:

    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > Would be interested to hear from someone that has travelled this road
    > in june. I'm planning a trip and would like to know if the road/snow
    > conditions will close or limit access to this route at this time of
    > year.

    Snow? Yes.

    Closed road? Unlikely as this road will get ploughed first. Doesn't mean
    riding it would be any fun in snow conditions.

    You could be lucky, but I wouldn't plan to do it then. Snow is a very real
    possibiltity in the high country at any time of year. Friends had snow one
    Christmas Day while camping at McFarlane Saddle. I was once with a group one
    Easter who had to ride/walk out of a 6" dump on Mt Jagungal in the Snowy
    Mountains. Verry ccold! Certainly from Easter onwards you will get the
    greatest likelihood of snowfall should the weather change on you. With
    plenty of warm clothing, good tyres and careful riding you will get through
    a big dump. But speaking from experience, it's not a great deal of fun,
    you'll do a lot of walking, get very wet and be glad of a hotel bed.

    --
    Cheers
    Peter

    ~~~ ~ [email protected]

  4. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    I've ridden a road bike up through Hotham in May. Pretty cold and a fair bit
    of snow. Descending in the snow is quite unappealing. If there's snow on the
    road you're almost bound to have a few spills on the descents.

    Nick

    news:[email protected]