Great Bicycle Overhaul Class

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Steve Christens, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. This past weekend my wife and I took a 20 hour long Bicycle Overhaul class at Prestige Cycles in
    Clinton Township north of Detroit. (http://www.prestigecycles.com/) Patti (the owner and chief
    mechanic) has you tear everything off your bike, clean it, then lube, reinstall, and adjust all the
    systems. It was a lot of work, and a bit tiring (6-10 Fri, 9-6 Sat and Sun) but a LOT of fun.

    I have been working on my bikes for about 30 years, but it turns out I have been doing some things
    wrong (like leaving way too much play on the bearings). My main problem now is that I find I want to
    run out and buy all of the really neat Park tools that make doing the work possible, even if I only
    use them once a year.

    Anyway, if anyone is within easy driving distance the course is highly recommended.

    Steve Christense Midland, MI

    Tags:

  2. Don Smith

    Don Smith Guest

    Steve, I live about 5 miles from Prestige Cycles and took Patti`s wheelbuilding class last year. I
    also had the urge to go buy all the tools...in fact I`ve been slowly giving in to the urge, one tool
    at a time.....

    Don

    Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote:
    [q1]> This past weekend my wife and I took a 20 hour long Bicycle Overhaul class at Prestige Cycles in[/q1]
    [q1]> Clinton Township north of Detroit. (http://www.prestigecycles.com/) Patti (the owner and chief[/q1]
    [q1]> mechanic) has you tear everything off your bike, clean it, then lube, reinstall, and adjust all[/q1]
    [q1]> the systems. It was a lot of work, and a bit tiring (6-10 Fri, 9-6 Sat and Sun) but a LOT of fun.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I have been working on my bikes for about 30 years, but it turns out I have been doing some things[/q1]
    [q1]> wrong (like leaving way too much play on the bearings). My main problem now is that I find I want[/q1]
    [q1]> to run out and buy all of the really neat Park tools that make doing the work possible, even if I[/q1]
    [q1]> only use them once a year.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Anyway, if anyone is within easy driving distance the course is highly recommended.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Steve Christense Midland, MI[/q1]

  3. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Steve,

    When I first bought a recumbent, I took an adult education class in bike overhaul that last several
    weeks, 3 hours for 1 night a week. It was the same and a great idea. The class cost was less than
    the cost for an overhaul. Like you I found that the instructor had Park tools, several copies of
    each. After checking it out, I suspected that it would cheaper to just periodically take the class.
    Plus one overhaul does not a man a bike mechanic maketh.

    Gary McCarty, Salt Lake City (Formerly of Flint, Michigan)

    Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > This past weekend my wife and I took a 20 hour long Bicycle Overhaul class at Prestige Cycles in
    > Clinton Township north of Detroit. (http://www.prestigecycles.com/) Patti (the owner and chief
    > mechanic) has you tear everything off your bike, clean it, then lube, reinstall, and adjust all
    > the systems. It was a lot of work, and a bit tiring (6-10 Fri, 9-6 Sat and Sun) but a LOT of fun.
    >
    > I have been working on my bikes for about 30 years, but it turns out I have been doing some things
    > wrong (like leaving way too much play on the bearings). My main problem now is that I find I want
    > to run out and buy all of the really neat Park tools that make doing the work possible, even if I
    > only use them once a year.

  4. Gary Mc

    Steve Christensen <Steve[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > This past weekend my wife and I took a 20 hour long Bicycle Overhaul class at Prestige Cycles in
    > Clinton Township north of Detroit. (http://www.prestigecycles.com/) Patti (the owner and chief
    > mechanic) has you tear everything off your bike, clean it, then lube, reinstall, and adjust all
    > the systems. It was a lot of work, and a bit tiring (6-10 Fri, 9-6 Sat and Sun) but a LOT of fun.
    >
    > I have been working on my bikes for about 30 years, but it turns out I have been doing some things
    > wrong (like leaving way too much play on the bearings). My main problem now is that I find I want
    > to run out and buy all of the really neat Park tools that make doing the work possible, even if I
    > only use them once a year.

  5. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    Don Smith wrote:
    > Steve, I live about 5 miles from Prestige Cycles and took Patti`s wheelbuilding class last year. I
    > also had the urge to go buy all the tools...in fact I`ve been slowly giving in to the urge, one
    > tool at a time.....
    >
    > Don
    >
    > Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>This past weekend my wife and I took a 20 hour long Bicycle Overhaul class at Prestige Cycles in
    >>Clinton Township north of Detroit. (http://www.prestigecycles.com/) Patti (the owner and chief
    >>mechanic) has you tear everything off your bike, clean it, then lube, reinstall, and adjust all
    >>the systems. It was a lot of work, and a bit tiring (6-10 Fri, 9-6 Sat and Sun) but a LOT of fun.
    >>
    >>I have been working on my bikes for about 30 years, but it turns out I have been doing some things
    >>wrong (like leaving way too much play on the bearings). My main problem now is that I find I want
    >>to run out and buy all of the really neat Park tools that make doing the work possible, even if I
    >>only use them once a year.
    >>
    >>Anyway, if anyone is within easy driving distance the course is highly recommended.
    >>
    >>Steve Christense Midland, MI

    I would love to take one of these 'bicycle overhaul' classes. If anyone needs instruction in
    almost anything connected with things mechanical, it's me. I consider it a triumph when I'm able
    to fix a flat tire. I don't tempt the tire goblins, either: I pack a spare tube (or two), and
    wait until I get home to tackle fixing the old tube. Perhaps someone in the Cincinnati area is
    reading this and knows of a similar class coming up, and will post the info. I should be putting
    this not-riding-because-I'm-a-wimp-in-the-cold time to good use!

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  6. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest