Great Bicycle Overhaul Class

Steve Christens

Guest
This past weekend my wife and I took a 20 hour long Bicycle Overhaul class at Prestige Cycles in
Clinton Township north of Detroit. (http://www.prestigecycles.com/) Patti (the owner and chief
mechanic) has you tear everything off your bike, clean it, then lube, reinstall, and adjust all the
systems. It was a lot of work, and a bit tiring (6-10 Fri, 9-6 Sat and Sun) but a LOT of fun.

I have been working on my bikes for about 30 years, but it turns out I have been doing some things
wrong (like leaving way too much play on the bearings). My main problem now is that I find I want to
run out and buy all of the really neat Park tools that make doing the work possible, even if I only
use them once a year.

Anyway, if anyone is within easy driving distance the course is highly recommended.

Steve Christense Midland, MI

Steve, I live about 5 miles from Prestige Cycles and took Patti`s wheelbuilding class last year. I
also had the urge to go buy all the tools...in fact I`ve been slowly giving in to the urge, one tool
at a time.....

Don

Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]> This past weekend my wife and I took a 20 hour long Bicycle Overhaul class at Prestige Cycles in[/q1]
[q1]> Clinton Township north of Detroit. (http://www.prestigecycles.com/) Patti (the owner and chief[/q1]
[q1]> mechanic) has you tear everything off your bike, clean it, then lube, reinstall, and adjust all[/q1]
[q1]> the systems. It was a lot of work, and a bit tiring (6-10 Fri, 9-6 Sat and Sun) but a LOT of fun.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I have been working on my bikes for about 30 years, but it turns out I have been doing some things[/q1]
[q1]> wrong (like leaving way too much play on the bearings). My main problem now is that I find I want[/q1]
[q1]> to run out and buy all of the really neat Park tools that make doing the work possible, even if I[/q1]
[q1]> only use them once a year.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Anyway, if anyone is within easy driving distance the course is highly recommended.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Steve Christense Midland, MI[/q1]

Steve,

When I first bought a recumbent, I took an adult education class in bike overhaul that last several
weeks, 3 hours for 1 night a week. It was the same and a great idea. The class cost was less than
the cost for an overhaul. Like you I found that the instructor had Park tools, several copies of
each. After checking it out, I suspected that it would cheaper to just periodically take the class.
Plus one overhaul does not a man a bike mechanic maketh.

Gary McCarty, Salt Lake City (Formerly of Flint, Michigan)

Don Smith wrote:
> Steve, I live about 5 miles from Prestige Cycles and took Patti`s wheelbuilding class last year. I
> also had the urge to go buy all the tools...in fact I`ve been slowly giving in to the urge, one
> tool at a time.....
>
> Don
>
> Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>This past weekend my wife and I took a 20 hour long Bicycle Overhaul class at Prestige Cycles in
>>Clinton Township north of Detroit. (http://www.prestigecycles.com/) Patti (the owner and chief
>>mechanic) has you tear everything off your bike, clean it, then lube, reinstall, and adjust all
>>the systems. It was a lot of work, and a bit tiring (6-10 Fri, 9-6 Sat and Sun) but a LOT of fun.
>>
>>I have been working on my bikes for about 30 years, but it turns out I have been doing some things
>>wrong (like leaving way too much play on the bearings). My main problem now is that I find I want
>>to run out and buy all of the really neat Park tools that make doing the work possible, even if I
>>only use them once a year.
>>
>>Anyway, if anyone is within easy driving distance the course is highly recommended.
>>
>>Steve Christense Midland, MI

I would love to take one of these 'bicycle overhaul' classes. If anyone needs instruction in
almost anything connected with things mechanical, it's me. I consider it a triumph when I'm able
to fix a flat tire. I don't tempt the tire goblins, either: I pack a spare tube (or two), and
wait until I get home to tackle fixing the old tube. Perhaps someone in the Cincinnati area is
reading this and knows of a similar class coming up, and will post the info. I should be putting
this not-riding-because-I'm-a-wimp-in-the-cold time to good use!

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney