Great Brisbane Bike Ride - 18/3/07

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by OzCableguy, Feb 11, 2007.

  1. OzCableguy

    OzCableguy Guest

    http://www.bq.org.au/bike-week/gbbr.shtml

    Great Brisbane Bike Ride

    Sunday 18 March 2007

    Start/Finish - South Bank Cultural Forecourt

    Come one and all for a very, very big fun ride around Brisbane. The streets
    will be flooded with bicycle riders just having fun. Distances are a
    manageable 35 or 60 km around the river loop. Some road or lane closures
    will put us along Coronation Drive in numbers never seen before in Brisbane.
    After some slight rises you'll be at the morning tucker stop at Chelmer,
    then heading for home.

    The ride support will include police, marshals, riding mechanics, radio
    check-points, water stops, a sagged-rider wagon and two great tucker-stops
    on the route.
    This ride is designed for everyone, so grab your workmates and form a team.

    How to Enter the Great Brisbane Bike Ride
    There are several options:
    Are you are entering and paying for yourself via credit card? Use our online
    entry system.
    Are you in a team where everyone is paying for themselves? That's a casual
    team. Have a look at the team info sheet. You can either use the online
    system, or the standard entry form.
    Are you in a team where the Boss is Paying? Download the special "Boss is
    paying" team form.
    Are you part of a Family entry in the Great Brisbane Bike ride? Use the
    standard Entry Form and fill in the relevant sections.
    Are you entering the Family Fun ride? Once again, use the standard Entry
    Form and fill in the relevant sections.

    10km Family Fun Ride
    For young riders, the 10k Family Fun Ride is a short alternative for those
    wanting to be part of the big ride but wanting to avoid any sweat at all!

    To make sure you enjoy the day:
    Never stop on the road - pull off to the side!
    Never ride more than 2 abreast - unless overtaking.
    Have your bike CHECKED BEFORE the day.
    Arrive with your water bottles full and tyres pumped up. Do it the day
    before.
    Bring sunscreen and togs for a cool-down swim at South Bank.
    Bring a lock for your bike (free secure parking from 10am to 2pm).
    Young children must remain with parents/ guardians and should ride the 10km
    route.
    Catch a train or ferry to the start. Your bike travels for free.
    Obey all road rules and police directions.
    Collect your ride number at the registration desk on the day - it's your
    pass for your T-shirt and reflective ankle wrap.
    Be at the finish site for the prize draw at 11 am. The ride will proceed if
    it rains. Only extreme weather will cause cancellation.

    The ride is great fun and great value.
    You get:
    - A FREE T-shirt
    - Two FREE quality reflective ankle wraps
    - Refreshments along the way
    - Police and route marshals
    - Mechanical support
    - Post ride entertainment and prizes

    Start/Finish
    South Bank Cultural Forecourt
    Registration from 6.00am
    Elite riders depart 7.30am
    Recreational riders depart 7.45am
    10km Family Fun riders depart 8.00am

    Parking at South Bank
    The South Bank site has all the details. It sounds vaguely like a missile
    system, but the South Bank Parking Guidance System "reports accurate,
    real-time car park space availability to motorists intending to use the
    major car parks within the South Bank Precinct".
    Cyclists can be motorists too, but we're not restricting ourselves to just
    petrol-powered transport.

    More about Bike Week and other events at
    http://www.bq.org.au/bike-week/index.shtml

    --
    www.ozcableguy.com
    www.oztechnologies.com

    Tags:

  2. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    I will, once again, be avoiding this mess of a ride at all costs.

  3. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    I had a feeling you'd be along soon to say that! :)

  4. OzCableguy

    OzCableguy Guest

    "LotteBum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I will, once again, be avoiding this mess of a ride at all costs.

    Heh. Apart from a bike jam getting onto Coro Dr where everyone was walking
    for about 10 minutes last year, it then opened up and everything went
    smoothly from there. I'm up for it again anyway.

    --
    www.ozcableguy.com
    www.oztechnologies.com

  5. Duracell Bunny

    Duracell Bunny New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    Only a 10 minute hold up? I must have been on a different ride that day, we were stood still for a lot longer than that ...

  6. I think this is a great, well-run ride for people who wouldn't
    normally attempt a river loop. And I'd encourage newbies to have a
    crack at it.

    But for anyone else - well really, save your $30 for something else,
    and do the river loop for free the other 364 days of the year.

    I _may_ be doing the GBBR this year. But if so, it'll be towing my 5yo
    daughter on the tag-along with my ye olde hybrid, along with my wife
    (on her hybrid) and my 8yo on her Huffy......

    Cheers,
    Abby

  7. Duracell Bunny

    Duracell Bunny New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    You'll be joining the LA rides again at this rate Abby :)

    Welcome back from your summer hibernation :D

  8. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    OzCableguy wrote:

    > "LotteBum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > I will, once again, be avoiding this mess of a ride at all costs.
    > >

    > Heh. Apart from a bike jam getting onto Coro Dr where everyone was walking
    > for about 10 minutes last year, it then opened up and everything went
    > smoothly from there. I'm up for it again anyway.

    Trackstand practice?

    Tam

  9. Donga

    Donga Guest

    On Feb 12, 5:23 pm, Duracell Bunny <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > OzCableguy Wrote:
    >

    > > "LotteBum" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message
    > >news:[email protected]

    > > > I will, once again, be avoiding this mess of a ride at all costs.

    > > Heh. Apart from a bike jam getting onto Coro Dr where everyone was
    > > walking
    > > for about 10 minutes last year, it then opened up and everything went
    > > smoothly from there. I'm up for it again anyway.

    > > --
    > > 'www.ozcableguy.com'(http://www.ozcableguy.com)
    > > 'www.oztechnologies.com'(http://www.oztechnologies.com)

    > Only a 10 minute hold up? I must have been on a different ride that
    > day, we were stood still for a lot longer than that ...
    >
    > --
    > Duracell Bunny- Hide quoted text -

    The hold-up would have been much shorter if there were no riders!

    My kids enjoy doing it with me and get a sense of achievement from it.
    I'll happily go along with them.

    The size of the event is a big plus in getting non-cycling Brisbane to
    sit back and notice and acknowledge cycling.

    Donga

  10. Duracell Bunny

    Duracell Bunny New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    You & Abby both make a good point - it encourages the young ones to give it a go & ride in comparitive safety.

    You still need to exercise caution though - at one junction there was a policeman waving us through. There was also a pedestrian crossing there, with a very determined old lady who exercised her right to cross the road. How she never got bowled I shall never know.

  11. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    I agree. I'll bring the kiddie trailer and challenge Abby and his tribe to a race on the tag-along.

  12. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Duracell Bunny wrote:

    > Donga Wrote:
    > >

    > > The hold-up would have been much shorter if there were no riders!
    > >
    > > My kids enjoy doing it with me and get a sense of achievement from it.
    > > I'll happily go along with them.
    > >
    > > The size of the event is a big plus in getting non-cycling Brisbane to
    > > sit back and notice and acknowledge cycling.
    > >
    > > Donga

    > You & Abby both make a good point - it encourages the young ones to
    > give it a go & ride in comparitive safety.
    >
    > You still need to exercise caution though - at one junction there was a
    > policeman waving us through. There was also a pedestrian crossing there,
    > with a very determined old lady who exercised her right to cross the
    > road. How she never got bowled I shall never know.

    In the past, I've used the event as an opportunity to get my
    bike-owning friends to realise that long distance is not so
    long and is a lot of fun... and to encourage them to take up
    commuting by bike.

    Tam