Great Chesapeake Bay Swim question

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Ralphp302, Apr 13, 2003.

  1. Ralphp302

    Ralphp302 Guest

    Hi, just wondering if anyone who had done the swim could comment on whether the vast majority of
    swimmers wear wetsuits or not. Would it depend on the year and the specific temperatures or not?
    Thanks. Ralph

    Tags:

  2. Dingo

    Dingo Guest

    "RalphP302" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, just wondering if anyone who had done the swim could comment on
    whether the
    > vast majority of swimmers wear wetsuits or not. Would it depend on the
    year
    > and the specific temperatures or not? Thanks. Ralph
    Depends on the temperature that year and your preference - when it is hotter the jellyfish run heavy
    in the Chesapeake. Regardless, you'll see plenty of swimmers in wetsuits and plenty without. all the
    best, Dingo

  3. > Depends on the temperature that year and your preference

    Bring a wetsuit for sure, and then use if you want.

  4. Don't forget to pee in your wetsuit to create warmth.

    [email protected] (Triathlete357) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Depends on the temperature that year and your preference
    >
    > Bring a wetsuit for sure, and then use if you want.

  5. Old Timer

    Old Timer Guest

    There are jellies in the bay right now, farther north than the Chesapeake. I don't think it has
    anything too much to do with temp since the bay temp is about 49 degrees at the moment. They've been
    clogging fishing lines for a few weeks now. BTW, the water temp is 6 degrees cooler than it was at
    the same time last year.

    I'd guess that 98% of the Bay Swim participants wear wetsuits. You'll be glad you did.

  6. [email protected] (Old Timer) wrote in news:15cf49f4.0304160859.459f4dd3 @posting.google.com:

    > There are jellies in the bay right now, farther north than the Chesapeake. I don't think it has
    > anything too much to do with temp since the bay temp is about 49 degrees at the moment. They've
    > been clogging fishing lines for a few weeks now. BTW, the water temp is 6 degrees cooler than it
    > was at the same time last year.
    >
    > I'd guess that 98% of the Bay Swim participants wear wetsuits. You'll be glad you did.

    Hmmm, let's see. Water is 49 degrees. Jellyfish are present, presumably the stinging variety.
    Speaking as Florida boy, I must ask what planet are the remaining 2% from who wouldn't wear a
    wetsuit in those conditions?