Great Divide record time

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Pete Jones, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    I've been unable to find this by searching - what was the name of that guy who did the Great Divide
    in some mentally short time, and does anyone have a link on it?

    Failing a link, am I right in thinking he did it in 17 days?

    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

    Tags:

  2. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

  3. "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 07:12:38 +0000 (UTC), Pete Jones <[email protected]> blathered:
    >
    > >I've been unable to find this by searching - what was the name of that guy who did the Great
    > >Divide in some mentally short time, and does anyone have a link on it?
    >
    > Weird - did the search again and came up with it first time. Oh well - here's the link for anyone
    > who's not familiar with the trip - http://classic.mountainzone.com/mtbiking/99/features/stamstad/

    Stamstad is the man, no question. I read an interview with him a few years back where he talked
    about training for the iditabike, how the other competitors had complex training schedule, and he
    trained by running up steps in the middle or LA or somewhere, "if I can breath in all this sh*t, I
    can breathe anywhere". Actually reading that it sounds like his last name should be Balboa, but
    whatever, he's still the man.

    Steve E.

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 07:12:38 +0000 (UTC), Pete Jones <[email protected]> blathered:
    > >
    > > >I've been unable to find this by searching - what was the name of that guy who did the Great
    > > >Divide in some mentally short time, and does anyone have a link on it?
    > >
    > > Weird - did the search again and came up with it first time. Oh well - here's the link for
    > > anyone who's not familiar with the trip -
    > > http://classic.mountainzone.com/mtbiking/99/features/stamstad/
    > >

    > Stamstad is the man, no question. I read an interview with him a few years back where he talked
    > about training for the iditabike, how the other competitors had complex training schedule, and he
    > trained by running up steps in the middle or LA or somewhere, "if I can breath in all this sh*t, I
    > can breathe anywhere". Actually reading that it sounds like his last name should be Balboa, but
    > whatever, he's still the man.

    This dude trains by riding a mountain bike:

    > Curiak Wins Iditarod March 19, 2003

    > by Sam Laskaris
    >
    > American Mike Curiak finished more than a full day ahead of his nearest rival at this year's
    > Iditarod Trail Invitational. The SRAM-sponsored Curiak completed the 1,100-mile race from Knik to
    > Nome, Alaska in 17 days and two hours.
    >
    > Curiak, who lives in Grand Junction, Colo., was 26 hours ahead of the runner-up.
    >
    > "We had the usual [temperature] doses of 50 below zero, 75 mile-per-hour winds, and feet of
    > snowfall, all of which was expected," Curiak said.

    Go figure.

    JD