Great first ride on my new road bike!

GinaNY

Aug 28, 2007
Okay folks - forgive me if I'm a little proud here - but I did my first real ride yesterday. 50 mile charity ride (though it was a bit short - 47.6 actually). I picked up my first road bike Friday, (Jamis Quest, woman's version) spent just enough time on it to learn to use the clipless pedals and adjust the seat and went home. It rained Sat. and out I went Sunday, for this ride.

I hit the start button on my heart rate monitor thing when the gun went off, (Didn't know they used a real gun, scared the heck out of me! Almost fell - the clipless pedals you know) When I crossed over the finish line, I hit the button again and it said 2:44:52. I had finished with an average of over 17 miles per hour on my first ride! And I had stopped twice to drink some water!

I knew it was going well when I realized everyone I was riding with was male. Now of course, they were having intellectual discussions and I was working pretty hard, but I was able to have a basic converstaion at least. (other than on the hills when mumbling a few curses was the best I could do)

The great thing was that there I was on a totally new set up - new shoes, new bike, new socks, new seat, and the only thing that was sore at the end of the ride was my thumbs. Yea - I know. I guess using the shifters that are the break levers requires a little more work than my little thumb things on the hybrid.

What I learned. 1. first gear on my road bike is way harder than on my hybrid - I actually had to stop on one hill - I just couldn't breathe!! How embarassing! 2. Drafting is a good thing and I am very glad I was taught how to do it! 3. The folks on these charity rides are amazing. What a good group of people! The event raised over $63,000 for local families dealing with a family member going through cancer treatment. Everyone was so amazing and generous and sweet!

Post ride big moment - I was talking about my ride to a group of folks at work and woman just froze and asked me to repeat the organization's name. She came up and hugged me and said, "Thank you so much. They did so much for me." and then I remembered that her son had survived leukemia about 5 years ago. I guess the Cancer Care Center did a lot for her at the time. Blew me away though - reset my focus - that is for sure.

I'm hooked.:)

Now I don't know if the A and B and C rider catagories are universal, but I think I may confident enough to try a B ride with my local bike club. I was going to start out at a C, but it says the average speed is 11-15 miles per hour. I think that might drive me crazy. What do you guys think?

Sounds like a fantastic way to break in a new bike.

I would like to do a Charity Ride of some sort, I think it would be fun riding with a large bunch with no real competition (maybe from a few, but I gues they would hang up the front anyway - where I don't like to be), and also doing it for a good cause.

Is that the bluey/surf green Jamis Quest you have with the 105 and Mavic Aksiums - I just had a look at it on the Jamis site. Nice looking bike, Reynolds steel frame with an Easton carbon fork sounds really nice and smooth.

We don't see a lot of Jamis bikes over here in Australia, but they are nice.

janiejones said:
Sounds like a fantastic way to break in a new bike.

I would like to do a Charity Ride of some sort, I think it would be fun riding with a large bunch with no real competition (maybe from a few, but I gues they would hang up the front anyway - where I don't like to be), and also doing it for a good cause.
if you're in (or near) Sydney you could do the Gong ride or the Spring Cycle. There's a thread in the Aus/NZ Forum about it; http://www.cyclingforums.com/t427821.html

/k

janiejones said:
Is that the bluey/surf green Jamis Quest you have with the 105 and Mavic Aksiums - I just had a look at it on the Jamis site. Nice looking bike, Reynolds steel frame with an Easton carbon fork sounds really nice and smooth.

We don't see a lot of Jamis bikes over here in Australia, but they are nice.
Yea - that's her. It was a very comfortable ride. I'm going out on a 30+ this Saturday. I just can't get enough. I even thought of calling in sick to work so I could go ride!

Those Charity rides are really great. Such a feel good event. There was a group of guys that was just so conditioned, they finished in 2:10 or so- maybe 2:15 but it was amazing. I only saw them for a few moments as they took off up the first hill - it was beautiful though.

My next challenge is to learn how to take the steep hills with curves. I keep breaking out of fear I'm going to end up on the ground, but I wish I were more brave. You can really get going on this bike - I saw over 35 mph down a good hill now and again. I had no idea!

I'm glad to hear that you are hooked! Sounds like you had a great ride. It sounds as if you are also pretty fit if you were able to ride 50 miles at an average speed of 17 MPH! What were you doing before biking?

The A, B, and C ratings are not universal, but ride with the group that you are comfortable with. Just make sure that you make it a point to always ask questions if there is something that you are not sure of. Beleive it or not, most cyclists love to help our newbes. That is why this forum is such a success.

kdelong said:
I'm glad to hear that you are hooked! Sounds like you had a great ride. It sounds as if you are also pretty fit if you were able to ride 50 miles at an average speed of 17 MPH! What were you doing before biking?

The A, B, and C ratings are not universal, but ride with the group that you are comfortable with. Just make sure that you make it a point to always ask questions if there is something that you are not sure of. Beleive it or not, most cyclists love to help our newbes. That is why this forum is such a success.
What I've been doing for the past two years is hitting the gym every single day possible (if neither of the kids are sick, the snow isn't too deep to drive etc.) to lose 120 pounds. I have 30 more to go and I hope cycling will take it off. I've done cardio and resistance training till I've ended up in pretty darn good shape apparently. My reward to myself for losing 100 pounds was to buy the hybrid and the rest is history.

I've been very pleased with the response level I've received as I am so green - have no idea of what I'm doing and ask really basic, annoying questions. But that is the way it is for a while. Maybe I'll go buy a book.

Example - I didn't know what the hub was when my instructor told me to look at it while drafting. Sad...

GinaNY said:
What I've been doing for the past two years is hitting the gym every single day possible (if neither of the kids are sick, the snow isn't too deep to drive etc.) to lose 120 pounds. I have 30 more to go and I hope cycling will take it off. I've done cardio and resistance training till I've ended up in pretty darn good shape apparently. My reward to myself for losing 100 pounds was to buy the hybrid and the rest is history.

I've been very pleased with the response level I've received as I am so green - have no idea of what I'm doing and ask really basic, annoying questions. But that is the way it is for a while. Maybe I'll go buy a book.

Example - I didn't know what the hub was when my instructor told me to look at it while drafting. Sad...
The best part about this forum is that everyone on it was at your level at one point. I have yet to meet a seasoned cyclist who is not willing to help a beginner, so don't be afraid to ask a question, no matter how stupid it might seem. Just don't be in a rush for an answer if you post on a weekend.

I sorta wish that we would have had computers and a forum when I started cycling 40 years ago. A lot of what I know now came through trial and error, and error can cost a lot of money! Trial is not cheap either!

wow, congrats on the new bike and the excellent work in the ride (both the riding and the charity work!) Makes me wish i had time today, i have to go to some dumb unemployment orientation, im not sure why ive filled out a few applications, sent resumes in, even had an interview yesterday...oh well ill tak up as little of their time as i can, so i can hopefully catch a ride later. been a few days...

keep up the good work, youll be riding a MS150 soon, I bet ;)

mongooseboy said:
wow, congrats on the new bike and the excellent work in the ride (both the riding and the charity work!) Makes me wish i had time today, i have to go to some dumb unemployment orientation, im not sure why ive filled out a few applications, sent resumes in, even had an interview yesterday...oh well ill tak up as little of their time as i can, so i can hopefully catch a ride later. been a few days...

keep up the good work, youll be riding a MS150 soon, I bet ;)
Thanks!! ummm...what is MS150??