Great Guns for Cycling!

artemidorus said:
Mr Shipp, I've a sneaking suspicion that you're taking the ****... if so, you're too dry for your transatlantic friends.
Artemidorus, your post peaked my curiosity about this phrase, "taking the ****". It is new to me so I decided to do some research. For the benefit of our friends West of the pond, here is what I found (source: www.worldwidewords.org).
It’s usually said that the phrase derives from an older one, ****-proud, which refers to having an erection when waking up in the morning, which is usually attributed to a full bladder (proud here being an obvious pun on its senses of something raised or projecting and of something in which one may take satisfaction).
It’s first recorded, as so many such indecorous expressions are, in Francis Grose’s A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue; in the second edition of 1788 he wrote: “****-proud, having a false erection. That old fellow thought he had an erection, but his — was only ****-proud; said of any old fellow who marries a young wife”.

This developed into a figurative sense of somebody who had an exaggerated idea of his own importance. So to take the **** is to deflate somebody, to disabuse them of their mistaken belief that they are special. It’s not recorded before the beginning of the twentieth century.
In other words, it is being suspected that Mr. Shipp believes I have an exaggerated idea of my own importance and is attempting to "take me down a notch", or "take the wind out of my sails". If this is so, Mr. Shipp is more than welcome to try. This is an open thread and I encourage Mr. Shipp's free speech and I will not try to squelch that free speech. I’m happy to openly admit I am absolutely, positively, without doubt, NOT an expert about all aspects of firearms. I’ll even admit that I’m not an expert on ANY single aspect of firearms.

Who in the world could claim to be an expert on ALL areas of firearm knowledge? There is simply too much information for one person to digest. I expect an expert in firearms history would admit to not being an expert in firearms gunsmithing. I expect an expert in firearms engraving and presentation pieces would admit to not being an expert in tactical entry methods. I expect an expert in firearm wildcat cartridge reloading would admit to not being an expert in firearms law and legislation.

What I do claim to have is a sincere interest in firearms in general. What I do claim to have is a sincere interest in cycling. What I do claim to have is an unquenchable thirst for knowledge in general, including history, science, cooking, music, law, cycling, and more areas than I can even remember at the moment. What I do claim is having a true desire to never quit learning…ever. I do claim it is a fact that I have actively studied and shot a wide variety of firearms since the mid-1970’s. What I do NOT claim is to “know-it-all”.

My goal in this thread is to discuss all aspects of firearms as they relate to the world of bicycling while always promoting safety, safety, safety. If Mr. Shipp is truly trying to “take the ****” from me, I would like to invite him to think about redirecting his energy to a more beneficial end by jumping on this thread’s band wagon in a positive way. Alpha-male-posturing is for testosterone-overloaded-teenagers who are full of ****-and-vinegar, which does this thread no good. I would like to keep this thread on an even keel of information, discussion, and cooperation if at all possible. In any event, Mr. Shipp’s comments are always welcome.

:)

I don't carry when cycling, but if I did my choice would be a Seacamp 32 caliber double action only semi auto pistol. This is a very small concealed carry gun, and some very effective loads are manufactured for it. It uses Seacamp specific 32 ACP ammo, the plain vanilla 32ACP is not recommended . As to carry, they make an inside the pocket holster for it (the suade keeps the holster in your pocket and allows you to draw the weapon) an I would carry it in the right side pocket of my MT Bike shorts, which are the only kind of bike shorts I use.

I am never taking the ****. Guns and bikes are of great interest to me. No subject should be devoid of humour.

Let us not forget that one vital piece of cycling gear....namely the CONDOM. Never know when you will need on for protection, never know when the opportunity will arise.

Time to get your priorities straight.

Well...nothing says, "Don't mess with me!", like a pair of Browning 1919a4's mounted on a flexible mount on a pair of Deda bars!

My choices of handgun would be limited to a main material that would be as close to rust-free as possible. Or at least cheap and easily re-finished!

Currently in my stable include a heavy, but reliable Walther PPk/S in stainless steel.

A polymer Walther P22 that is lighter and for which i have a TAC-65 suppressor (not legal foe CCW, but it makes for quiet target practice with no need for ear protection).

I also have a minty CZ-52. With hot com-bloc sub-gun ammunition, this thing is a flame thrower! Sadly, it's a tad heavy for hauling over the Dolomite stages!

I'm a died-in-the-wool 1911 fan and my stainless Springfield Armory reworked by Ortiz offers streamlined service for eight (cocked and locked), but again...it's no Alp D'Huez special.

I'ld not trust my old Lugers, nor would I risk my P38's against sweat. My collectible Colt's (various 1911's) remain in the safes.

My Sig 226 is impressively reliable and accurate. It begs me to go buy a 229 for carry...probably an Inox/black model.

The Makarovs i have are numerous and varied. For carry the Bulgarian clones do nicely, but...Thr Hungarian Pa63 is lighter and has an aluminum frame. Possibly a feature that would attract Cannodale and Klein riders!

The diminuative Kel-Tec P38T is light weight, polymer and fits in a nylon holster in any center jersey pocket. My vote goes to it...untill such time as it is available in titanium/scandium.

But, can't a guy just pack an M16 M4 and get that warm and fuzzy feeling?

Campybob, class 7 FFL with SOT.

Don Shipp said:
When it comes to streamlining the Czech VZ 52 has the advantage over any "Slab-sided" auto and would probably give it's carrier a 4.5 second advantage during a 50 mile TT compared with your more modern, but altogether chunkier revolver.
Over here in the states, we term these a "CZ52". The VZ nomenclature is more correct.

I own a pair of them and they are a lot of fun to shoot. There's a lot of of ex-commie ammunition on the market right now (much of it is sub-machinegun use) and paired with a PPSH41...it makes for a fun afternoon at the range.

Hmmmm? I wonder...a PPSH mounted on an FSA150 stem might be worth a thought!

Quote;My goal in this thread is to discuss all aspects of firearms as they relate to the world of bicycling while always promoting safety, safety, safety. If Mr. Shipp is truly trying to “take the ****” from me, I would like to invite him to think about redirecting his energy to a more beneficial end by jumping on this thread’s band wagon in a positive way. Alpha-male-posturing is for testosterone-overloaded-teenagers who are full of ****-and-vinegar, which does this thread no good. I would like to keep this thread on an even keel of information, discussion, and cooperation if at all possible. In any event, Mr. Shipp’s comments are always welcome.

Firearms can in no way be related to cycling. All your trying to do is talk about guns on a cycling forum. A firearm is as far from anything that is comonly know as safe as you can get. They were and ARE designed to kill things. Maybe put this so called thurst for knowledge into some statistics research on firearm related deaths in your gun proud nation for a bit of a reality check. Like how many little kids die in America whilst playing with Mummy or Daddy's gun. You may even gain some insight into one of your countries biggest problems, Guns. Go to a firearm forum and stop bothering people with this non cycling related drivel.:rolleyes:

most of us down here is aussie carry a gun, you never know when those 10ft tall kangaroos that the kids ride to school will run loose or those bloody drop bears...

Matt888 said:
Quote;Firearms can in no way be related to cycling. All your trying to do is talk about guns on a cycling forum. A firearm is as far from anything that is comonly know as safe as you can get. They were and ARE designed to kill things. Maybe put this so called thurst for knowledge into some statistics research on firearm related deaths in your gun proud nation for a bit of a reality check. Like how many little kids die in America whilst playing with Mummy or Daddy's gun. You may even gain some insight into one of your countries biggest problems, Guns. Go to a firearm forum and stop bothering people with this non cycling related drivel.:rolleyes:
+1 Why on earth the moderators of this site allow ridiculous threads like this to continue I have no idea. A gun is in no way a piece of cycling equipment. The fact that you choose to carry one on your bike does not make it one (and IMHO says a lot about you and the culture you have in the US, but let's just leave that one for now).

Feel free to discuss which firearms you like on a forum where that is appropriate (ie. a firearms forum), but a cycling forum surely is not the place. Do you think the readers of a firearms or hunting forum want me to go there and start discussing bike equipment ad nauseum?! I suspect not - they rightly couldn't give a ***** about what type of bike I ride, in the same way that I (and I suspect most sane cyclists) really am not interested in what sort of ridiculous weapon you play with.

Indeed. Don't forget we also have the worlds largest population of wild Camels. Sounds funny I know, but it's true. A pack of crack hungry Camels is about the scariest thing you could posibly encounter. Let that be a warning to all those out there considering a trip down under. You have to leave your gun at home though. We just tackle them.

Matt888 said:
Firearms can in no way be related to cycling. All your trying to do is talk about guns on a cycling forum. A firearm is as far from anything that is comonly know as safe as you can get. They were and ARE designed to kill things. Maybe put this so called thurst for knowledge into some statistics research on firearm related deaths in your gun proud nation for a bit of a reality check. Like how many little kids die in America whilst playing with Mummy or Daddy's gun. You may even gain some insight into one of your countries biggest problems, Guns. Go to a firearm forum and stop bothering people with this non cycling related drivel.:rolleyes:
Thanks for your suggestion Matt888. I did look into some statistical research on firearm related deaths regarding children in America. The average is 30 per year. More children in American die from falling into a bucket of water than from accidental discharge of a firearm. To wit: The following comes from a transcript of testimony from John R. Lott, Jr. a John M. Olin Law and Economics Fellow, School of Law, University of Chicago:
Indeed, five times as many children under 5 die from fires that they start with cigarette lighters (150 versus 30) and more die from drowning in water buckets around the home (40). For children under 15, almost 3,000 died in motor-vehicle crashes, 950 drowned and more than 1,000 died from residential fires. Hundreds more children die in bicycle accidents each year than die from all types of firearm accidents.
Even though the research suggests that bicycle accidents kill hundreds of children each year, I don't think we should ban bicycles.

Stu07 said:
+1 Why on earth the moderators of this site allow ridiculous threads like this to continue I have no idea. A gun is in no way a piece of cycling equipment. The fact that you choose to carry one on your bike does not make it one (and IMHO says a lot about you and the culture you have in the US, but let's just leave that one for now).

Feel free to discuss which firearms you like on a forum where that is appropriate (ie. a firearms forum), but a cycling forum surely is not the place. Do you think the readers of a firearms or hunting forum want me to go there and start discussing bike equipment ad nauseum?! I suspect not - they rightly couldn't give a ***** about what type of bike I ride, in the same way that I (and I suspect most sane cyclists) really am not interested in what sort of ridiculous weapon you play with.

A quick web search finds articles where open minded hunters freely and eagerly discuss the use of bicycles. An example of which is an article by Ed Park entitled "Pedaling for Coyotes". Here's the introduction from the article:
Because modern mountain bikes are designed for off-pavement use, they make an ideal vehicle for coyote hunters who want the higher success found when quietly scouting and hunting remote areas away from roads.

Also, please review post #7 in this thread, where I have already addressed the "guns are not cycling equipment" argument.

Thanks for your comments.

keybladex said:
most of us down here is aussie carry a gun, you never know when those 10ft tall kangaroos that the kids ride to school will run loose or those bloody drop bears...
You forgot to mention the wombats!!!!

Ammunition for the old "velo dog" pistols is hard to come by...and the velo dog was invented in europe. go figure.

Handguns are as much a part of cycling equipment as halt/pepper spray for dogs.

Firearms are a deterent for 2-legged predators.

p38lightning said:
I don't carry when cycling, but if I did my choice would be a Seacamp 32 caliber double action only semi auto pistol. This is a very small concealed carry gun, and some very effective loads are manufactured for it. It uses Seacamp specific 32 ACP ammo, the plain vanilla 32ACP is not recommended . As to carry, they make an inside the pocket holster for it (the suade keeps the holster in your pocket and allows you to draw the weapon) an I would carry it in the right side pocket of my MT Bike shorts, which are the only kind of bike shorts I use.
Good suggestion. I have looked into the Seecamp myself and think it would make a great choice for cyclists. For more info on products from the L. W. Seecamp Co., Inc. go to www.seecamp.com.

CAMPYBOB said:
Ammunition for the old "velo dog" pistols is hard to come by...and the velo dog was invented in europe. go figure.

Handguns are as much a part of cycling equipment as halt/pepper spray for dogs.

Firearms are a deterent for 2-legged predators.
The world has moved on.

Sometimes I feel that a cyclist needs a bazooka.