Great Guns for Cycling!

izatt82 said:
i have not had to use mine in the civilian world and hope i never have too. Hopefully i can always use my mind and tact to work my way out. and thank god your not british and if you are american i'm glad i could defend your right to say such things. and you should be too.
I am from Australia. So what you are saying is that the gun would be the last resort?

Here in Perth there is not a culture of gun ownership so this sort of discussion on a cycling forum would never come up. I am not condemning your way of life I just think it highlights just how people who are a lot alike can be so different.

thepeddler said:
I am from Australia. So what you are saying is that the gun would be the last resort?

Here in Perth there is not a culture of gun ownership so this sort of discussion on a cycling forum would never come up. I am not condemning your way of life I just think it highlights just how people who are a lot alike can be so different.
right yeah i like to here other peoples opinion even stevebaby even though i give him ****. but yes my firearm is absolutly the last resort. if he has a knife i will disarm him or evade and contact the police. if i can not escape and my life is at threat then i shoot to kill. i do not just carry a firearm for myself but others as well. i also include martial arts and defence training along with carrying a firearm. I am not fighting a war i am just trying to survive until police get there. The main reason i carry is police as much as they might think are not every where. if i need to protect myself it may take them upto 5 to ten minutes where i live. and for anybody who's been in a fire fight in two minutes it's over in the streets so i'll be dead because they were not there. many people cannot preform under this kind of stress and some can. i'm not bashing anyone thats just the way it is. many people think they can and even with sim rounds couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. the other thing is people do not train for real life. in real life theres no earplugs but wear them if possible for training but im saying how many people have heard a shot in side a house. how many people have been wroke up too gunshots this is what i am talking about. I feel that i can protect myself with out a firearm as well. the best thing for defense in my opinion is krav maga it the real thing no **** just down and dirty. and as far as firearm ownership i grew up shooting ever since i was little. it's apart of mylife and i promote gun safety to every one i can. im not just some cowboy, and i try to introduce more kids to guns and safety so many kids now days need some discipline in there life and purpose. basically i have my own ROE rules of engagement. use only enough force to netrualize the situation. talk my way out if possible. if threat is a life threat to me or a bystandard then crush him by all means.
and "I would rather be judged by twelve then carried by six" and here in the US if you use your weapon then be ready for a legal battle. i got on my soapbox alittle but i would like to here you opinion on the matter . i think the s&w question was someone else's but i use a xd40 subcompact but would use a snubby as a backup rig. i hope to hear other opinions on this matter it makes for good conversation

good day and if i used a S&W it would be the model 642 38 cal. just my 2 cents.

I don't know much about firearms other then S&W is Smith and Wesson.

Is Taylorville a particularly dangerous place or are you just prepared for any eventuality?

First of all I want the folks who live outside of the U.S. to know that we are not a bunch of gun toting fools that you see in the wild west movies. I have yet to see anyone call anyone else out at high noon for a show down. The fact is that less than 40% of the population own a hand gun.

Now for the reality of the situation, the judicial system in the U.S. is all messed up. Half of the time the police cannot find the violent offenders or mess up the arrest so that they have to release the suspect. The judges and juries often are so sidetracked by other matters at trial that they aquitt the offenders based on race or some other ridiculous reason, ala O.J. Simpson. And prison overcrowding causes other violent offenders to be released before the end of their sentence, although I really doubt that keeping them in prison for a longer time is going to make then any less violent when they get out.

Therefore, many of us feel the need to protect ourselves. The police certainly can't do this. Their job is to clean up after a crime has been committed and then try to find out who committed it. Now I'm not ripping on the police, just stating a fact. If guns were banned but you still wanted someone dead, a knife is just as deadly, as is a frying pan or fireplace poker. It may be a tired old adage but "If guns are banned, only outlaws will have guns" is oh so ever true. Therefore, I am against gun control and vote in line with the gun lobby. I don't have a proper handgun as I have never felt the need for one, but I do own several hunting rifles as well as an M-14 Assault Rifle for if our government decides to try to disarm its citizens. Oh the price of 7.62mm cartridges is horrible these days.

I know that this post should be made in "Your Bloody Soapbox" but it seems to be in line with a lot of others that have shown up here.

stevebaby said:
Quoting John Lott...PRICELESS!

Lott claimed to have conducted a survey on Defensive Gun Use in 1997 in which he claimed that there were more than 2 million instances of DGU each year in the US and 98% of those DGUs involved brandishing a gun, not actually firing it, to deter a criminal.

When Lott was challenged on the figure and asked to produce the raw data that the results were allegedly based on, he claimed that his computer had crashed and he had lost all the data!

Bwaahahahahahahah...the dog ate his homework!

Despite widespread publicity, Lott has never been able to produce a single piece of paper evidence of the alleged survey, nor has he been able to produce even 1 of the "10 unpaid student volunteers" who he claims assisted him and despite claiming that he had surveyed more than 2000 people...only one person (a pro-gun activist) has ever come forward who took part in the alleged survey.

Despite this, Lott continues to use the "2 million DGUs each year" figure as though it was scientific fact, when it is not.

Lott has also admitted fabricating an online persona named "Mary Rosh" who praises his work, claimed to be a former student of his, and urged people to buy his books.

Fabricating an online persona. Joe...how desperate can you get? :D :D :D
I find Lott's arguments entirely convincing; and now carry a bucket of water with me for defence on account of it's enhanced lethality compared to handguns.
Can anyone suggest a suitable CC rig?

Don Shipp said:
I find Lott's arguments entirely convincing; and now carry a bucket of water with me for defence on account of it's enhanced lethality compared to handguns.
Can anyone suggest a suitable CC rig?
Good idea, Don! On your advice, I just bought a pair of suspenders (braces) and a couple of 2½ caliber...er...I mean 2½ gallon buckets to attach & create a CC double-shoulder-holster-water-bucket-rig for my rides. I suspect it will work well for MAC trucks, dogs, and female joggers. Not to mention that I can drink my ammo when thirsty. Maybe I should switch my ammo to sports drink?

smile.gif

Gemini Customs, LLC

For cyclists who prefer to carry something a bit special, Gemini Customs of Frankfort, Kentucky, offers some really nice products. Their custom Ruger SP101 lineup is in my opinion nothing short of beautiful, as well as functional for the cyclist. Gemini has a good variety of customs to suit the taste of almost any cyclist who wants to carry something "a notch above" other everyday off-the-shelf products. Here's the link to the Gemini Customs website:

Safe Cycling!

:)

“An armed society is a polite society.” - Robert A. Heinlein

no it's not that bad here but the sad part is that in illinois i can't legally CC. it's all because of chicago so i am stuck with pushing the limits of the law. if the state govt had its way they would take our guns. the bad part is that all the criminals don't care about gun laws so they think it's fixed and all they did was make every one an unarmed victim.

Anyone know what kind of handgun Jamison Stone used to kill the big pig?

Don't just say half inch revolver; was it a Casull, a custom made job or something else?

yeah i haven't heard but yeah it was one of the bigg daddys from what i hear

A number of cyclists here have requested that this thread should be terminated as guns are not cycling equipment.
(that's not an invitation to debate whether or not guns are cycling equipment).

Do members want this thread to continue?

limerickman said:
A number of cyclists here have requested that this thread should be terminated as guns are not cycling equipment.

this thread is on page 6. apparently there's enough interest to keep it going. maybe move it to soapbox or something. but killing a popular thread because other members don't like it doesn't seem to make much sense.

jmho of course.

limerickman said:

As much as some Americans (such as Joe West/Jeepguy32) would have us believe that weapons are a part of cycling, this is an international forum and for most of the cycling world, weapons are not a part of cycling. The Second Amendment (Joe/Jeepguy's pet hobby-horse) is quite irrelevant to us.
If anyone believes that their right to free speech is adversely affected, then they are free to go to Joe West's own forum (Arizona Virtual Gun Club) and discuss the issue there.Both gun threads are a troll by Joe, who has obviously realised that the membership on this forum vastly exceeds the membership on his own forum (at time of writing...64 members). Feel free to post on Joe's forum on cycling subjects.

izatt82 said:
i just don't beleive it not a wild pig
It wasn't a wild pig. It was raised on a farm. Its name was Fred.
The pig wasn't even hunted in the wild. It was shot in an enclosure.As one of the gun owners (who I enjoy talking with) on another forum said "16 shots at a farmed pig in an enclosure and the kid only hit it with 5...sure wouldn't want to be around that kid when he's hunting!".
If you look at the monsterpig site, the taxidermist says the measurement of the pigs snout is 11" from the tip to the eyes. Compare that measurement to the size of the kid in the photographs and you can easily see how deceptive the pics are.
Undoubtedly it was a big pig, but it isn't too difficult to take a pig from a breed renowned for its size and feed it in an enclosure until it becomes huge. Presenting the killing of a farm animal in an enclosure as some sort of sporting achievement is ridiculous.

stevebaby said:
As much as some Americans (such as Joe West/Jeepguy32) would have us believe that weapons are a part of cycling, this is an international forum and for most of the cycling world, weapons are not a part of cycling. The Second Amendment (Joe/Jeepguy's pet hobby-horse) is quite irrelevant to us.
If anyone believes that their right to free speech is adversely affected, then they are free to go to Joe West's own forum (Arizona Virtual Gun Club) and discuss the issue there.Both gun threads are a troll by Joe, who has obviously realised that the membership on this forum vastly exceeds the membership on his own forum (at time of writing...64 members). Feel free to post on Joe's forum on cycling subjects.
stevebaby, My name is Jeff and I live in Kansas City. I am not Joe West. Also, please see Post 1, Paragraph 2 of this thread.

Have a nice day. :)