Great Guns for Cycling!

I wonder if people actually read my posts.
For instance, what post of mine was izatt82 refering to?
As for the bucket of water, if you read through this whole thread you will discover that these are responsible more more deaths than handguns and are therefore presumably more suitable for personal protection on account of their greater lethality. They may, however, be less suitable for concealed carry by cyclists.

Matt888 said:
Having worked as a Life gaurd since I was 16, I can say I've risked my life on Australian beaches many times over for a complete stranger. On occasion when faces with death from the elements of the ocean you would almost rather a bullett. Almost.
Matt888:
I have worked as a lifeguard for approximatly 10 years at a variety of venues, albiet not an ocean front. However, as with police, firefighters, etc. risking your life for a stranger is part of the job description. In my opinion, you should not boast about doing so. I understand your point of view and I must say that I totally understand it because I have been a lifeguard and have seen the training movies and TV programs on Lifeguarding in Hawaii and Australia, your job is very demanding and at least in the US, I beleive that most people totally over look lifeguards in general and underestimate their importance. Since the September 11th attacks on the world trade centers in NY and related occurences since, the term "Hero" has been thrown around far too much in my opinion. That being said, many ocean front lifeguards are heros in every respect.

That being said, I do beleive that the anti-gun population do not see the whole picture regarding carrying a gun whether on the bike or in public. Much like this, people do not understand why people like hunting so much unless you do it. I have also had peple ask why I ride. As far as hunting, it's not the killing that we as hunters tend to like, it's the getting away from everything and relaxing outside in the wilderness (granted there are VERY few places anymore that are true wildernesses). I, at least, enjoy riding a bike because it is a time that I can get away and relax...see the contryside and be by myself...I don't usually think about the technical aspects and the killer climb coming up that I am going to suffer from...it's the big picture. The big picture of carrying a gun is the fact that you will/could be the first line of defense to a possible innocent person being taken advantage of whether that may be car jacked, robbed (in their residence or on the street), assulted, and yes, unfortunatly you must add raped in with that due to the sick people that are in society today. I feel that if I can help even 1 person not go through one of the situations I mentioned, I have not only helped that person, but taken full advantage of my rights provided to me by the US constitution.
On the topic of the US Constitution, I find it interesting that people from Australia find it hard to see "our" point of view. In my opinion, the governments that abolish firearms in thier respective countries have brainwashed their citizens into believing how evil firearms (handguns and long guns/rifles) MUST be. Now I do not know this first hand since I do not live there, but I can only imagine that they do not provide citizens with the stats about how people carrying a concealed gun save other peoples lives or deter possible crimes from even happening, or how many people actually only use firearms for leasiure i.e. target shooting either competitively or on their own (there are variuos shoot sports in the olympics). As I said with the whole hunting and cycling idea....you must look at the WHOLE picture and not just want you think or what other people want you to think.

rdr0912 said:
Matt888:
how people carrying a concealed gun save other peoples lives
If NOBODY had guns then you wouldn't need one to protect yourself!

How many kids/teenagers have been massacred in school/uni shootings in Australia?

And how many in America?

:)

This is flat out ridiculous. "The question is no longer "should I carry" but "what should I carry""? What the hell is this insane man talking about. I am aggressive towards traffic. I force them to use the other lane if they would like to pass, I will draft behind larger vehicles, I will even bang on the windows of cars that pass too close; but I do all of this because the drivers of these cars are putting me in more danger than they are putting themselves in. The second you begin carrying a firearm, the driver of the vehicle becomes the victim. Don't fall in line guys, don't become the irritable, angry, dangerous type of person that would pass too close in a car. This is ridiculous.

jeepguy32 said:
Gemini Customs, LLC

For cyclists who prefer to carry something a bit special, Gemini Customs of Frankfort, Kentucky, offers some really nice products. Their custom Ruger SP101 lineup is in my opinion nothing short of beautiful, ...
JeepGuy...
At some point in my 15 years of competition, practice, attending classes, and training others, someone made an interesting assertion...

Any gun you carry for self defense should be an unmodified, mass produced gun. No engraving, no personalization, and certainly not a target weight hair-trigger.
Nothing customized, that an anit-gun prosecutor might be able to construe as indicating an obsession with or eagerness to use the gun.

Simple is best.

I carry a 15 oz Smith and Wesson Model 642. It's a hammerless, Double Action Only (DAO), 5 shot, .38 Special. Kicks like a mule with full pressure ammo.

I bought the 3 inch barrel, but if I had it to do over, I'd go for the 2 inch. The only thing I've ever had done to it was a repair the the cylinder stop after it started ejecting the cylinder with the spent casings.

What we NEED is state to state rCCW permit eciprocity, LIKE Driver's Licenses!

The fact that you even feel the need to carry one like someone would carry their mobile phone equates to an eagerness.

The fact that you're astute enough to mask that eagerness is hardly reassuring, even to a lawyer.

In response to both Jono's and Nolllies post:
Jono, Very true about keeping guns off the street and out of the hands of criminals and the mentally insane. Three points come to mind in response to this: 1) In the perfect world, these rules only apply to the law abidding citizens. Criminals will find and buy guns no matter what (look at illegal drugs, they are "banned" and look at the market they have). 2) People under the ageof 18 in the US are not permitted to purchase any firearms. So therefore for them to obtain one, the must lie to get one (see reason #1) or they must have a person of age purchase a firearm. Further, you must be over the age of 21 and go through a backround check to purchase a handgun. 3) The gun dealer has the right to not sell the customer the firearm if they deem the person is not "right". They are able to use their descretion with no questions asked.

Taking this last point a little further to answer Nolllies post, part of this backround check that I was talking about incorperates any psychological history they may have. IF they have any, they are not LEGALLY permitted to purchase the handgun. I think it is quite obserd and presuptive to think that just because a person deceides to carry a gun, they are placing THEMSELVES in more danger. This is quite far fetched in my opinion. Part of the permit to carry concealed in many states is an education couse which tells you when, how and why to draw your gun. Also, what concequences occur when you would draw it.
What you describe, Nolllies, is called road rage in the US and plenty of people have been arrested for it. It sounds like you are more dangerous than anyone that is LEGALLY carring since they have the right and the permits to do so...there are no permits or laws that say Road rage is ok and legal. I suggest that you seek some anger management before you break and hurt someone!

Thylacine said:
The fact that you even feel the need to carry one like someone would carry their mobile phone equates to an eagerness...
Not at all. Carrying an extra pound up a 12% grade is not something I take lightly. (pun intended)

I've been assaulted four times while bicycling. In no case did anyone ask for or attempt to take anything from me. Each assault was committed by someone using me for target practice for a thrown object (usually from an overtaking vehicle): a rock, a glass bottle, a cup of ice, and the piece de resistance: a double-bladed ax.

It was the double-bladed ax that convinced me to arm myself while riding.

At the time of the ax assault, I was crossing North America with a full touring rig. When I returned home, I carefully shopped for a reliable handgun powerful enough to defend myself with, if I am ever injured by a future attacker who does not give up after his first strike.

Tackdriver

Tackdriver56 said:
Not at all. Carrying an extra pound up a 12% grade is not something I take lightly. (pun intended)

I've been assaulted four times while bicycling. In no case did anyone ask for or attempt to take anything from me. Each assault was committed by someone using me for target practice for a thrown object (usually from an overtaking vehicle): a rock, a glass bottle, a cup of ice, and the piece de resistance: a double-bladed ax.

It was the double-bladed ax that convinced me to arm myself while riding.

At the time of the ax assault, I was crossing North America with a full touring rig. When I returned home, I carefully shopped for a reliable handgun powerful enough to defend myself with, if I am ever injured by a future attacker who does not give up after his first strike.

Tackdriver

So if you were armed and a passing car threw something at you- what would you do? Dismount, unholster and unload your chamber unto the rear of the vehicle? Please help me understand how it would help to be armed- would you wave your 38 in the air without shooting?

I am not antigun ( nor am I an NRA member ), just don't believe having a gun would resolve issues on the road. Nor am I paranoid enough to think these idiots that throw stuff come back for more.

CoppiRidesOn said:
So if you were armed and a passing car threw something at you- what would you do? Dismount, unholster and unload your chamber unto the rear of the vehicle? Please help me understand how it would help to be armed- would you wave your 38 in the air without shooting?

I am not antigun ( nor am I an NRA member ), just don't believe having a gun would resolve issues on the road. Nor am I paranoid enough to think these idiots that throw stuff come back for more.
It took me a long time to accept that one human being would attempt to hurt another human being for mere amusement.

I cannot out-bike a car. I'm unlikely to outrun an assailant while wearing LOOK cleats or barefoot. My options for escape being limited, I am left with self defense. Intellect, backed up by a handgun, is the best defense.

Most drivers I've met are courteous. Some are indifferent, some are downright kind and helpful. One went so far as to leave a cold, unopened beer for me, about a quarter mile ahead, without even saying hello. BUT there are a few depraved human animals in this world who take pleasure from trying to hurt others. For me to assume limits on their inclination or capacity to do harm, would be stupid.

IF I am injured by, or crash my bike as a result of, an object thrown at me from a passing vehicle, I will draw my weapon, as discretely as possible, and hold it ready to use, while I try to dial 911 with the other hand.

I am NOT going to waste perfectly good ammunition, or endanger people downrange, by firing rounds in the air. I am not going to risk prosecution firing into the back of a fleeing assailant.

An assailant who comes back to "help" will be treated with extreme "paranoia".

The assailant who comes back to finish the job, eliminate the witness, etc., can expect me to defend myself.

What would other readers do in this situation?

Tackdriver

Tackdriver56 said:
Any gun you carry for self defense should be an unmodified, mass produced gun. Simple is best.
- absolutely correct.

- save the custom jobs for the range/competition.

the problem with the if no one had guns post is, the law abbiding citizens would be unarmed and the criminals would still have them and so would the gov't thats the problem. many people have been disarmed and then taken over by there gov't.

Tackdriver56 said:
It took me a long time to accept that one human being would attempt to hurt another human being for mere amusement.

I cannot out-bike a car. I'm unlikely to outrun an assailant while wearing LOOK cleats or barefoot. My options for escape being limited, I am left with self defense. Intellect, backed up by a handgun, is the best defense.

Most drivers I've met are courteous. Some are indifferent, some are downright kind and helpful. One went so far as to leave a cold, unopened beer for me, about a quarter mile ahead, without even saying hello. BUT there are a few depraved human animals in this world who take pleasure from trying to hurt others. For me to assume limits on their inclination or capacity to do harm, would be stupid.

IF I am injured by, or crash my bike as a result of, an object thrown at me from a passing vehicle, I will draw my weapon, as discretely as possible, and hold it ready to use, while I try to dial 911 with the other hand.

I am NOT going to waste perfectly good ammunition, or endanger people downrange, by firing rounds in the air. I am not going to risk prosecution firing into the back of a fleeing assailant.

An assailant who comes back to "help" will be treated with extreme "paranoia".

The assailant who comes back to finish the job, eliminate the witness, etc., can expect me to defend myself.

What would other readers do in this situation?

Tackdriver
Anyone who really wants to kill you will simply shoot you in the back or drive over you. Either way you will end up dead without being able to do anything about it and you will have supplied a criminal with another gun.
If you can't even see someone's numberplate you sure can't shoot them.

izatt82 said:
the problem with the if no one had guns post is, the law abbiding citizens would be unarmed and the criminals would still have them and so would the gov't thats the problem. many people have been disarmed and then taken over by there gov't.
Iraq and Afghanistan were (and are) two of the most heavily armed societies in the world.
How did their small-arms protect them from tyrants?
You live in a fool's paradise.

BTW..."no one" includes criminals.

Tackdriver56 said:
JeepGuy...
At some point in my 15 years of competition, practice, attending classes, and training others, someone made an interesting assertion...

Any gun you carry for self defense should be an unmodified, mass produced gun. No engraving, no personalization, and certainly not a target weight hair-trigger.
Nothing customized, that an anit-gun prosecutor might be able to construe as indicating an obsession with or eagerness to use the gun.

Simple is best.

I carry a 15 oz Smith and Wesson Model 642. It's a hammerless, Double Action Only (DAO), 5 shot, .38 Special. Kicks like a mule with full pressure ammo.

I bought the 3 inch barrel, but if I had it to do over, I'd go for the 2 inch. The only thing I've ever had done to it was a repair the the cylinder stop after it started ejecting the cylinder with the spent casings.

What we NEED is state to state rCCW permit eciprocity, LIKE Driver's Licenses!
Your point about using only unmodified models for concealed carry is a good one and well taken. Also, you're absolutely right about the need for nationwide CCW license reciprocity. During the last congressional session I believe a bill to that effect was considered, but I do not know the outcome. By the way, you should feel the kick from my 12 ounce .357 magnum! :) Thanks for your post.

“An armed society is a polite society.” - Robert A. Heinlein

stevebaby said:
That has to one of the most warped and twisted things I've ever read.
Nobody could write so graphically about the mechanics of rape without thinking about it for a long time, and you obviously enjoy doing just that.
It explains a lot about why you own guns.
Sick fecker.
:mad:
To all of the white knights armed with nothing more than their cell phones, fast fingers, and liberal ideology who got so squeamish after my post #89: What?...you think violent acts typically involve cotton-candy, pony rides, & Ferris wheels? Well this is one sick fecker who has in fact spent a lot of time studying rape, albeit in an academic setting.

As an undergraduate majoring in psychology at a large midwestern university in the U.S. I conducted an extensive scientific study regarding date-rate in 1994. My study involved several hundred students in a double-blind experiment which followed the scientific method to the letter, including having a control group, and reproducible findings. In short, my study showed that if a date-rape victim was dressed even slightly provocatively, society attributes some blame for the rape towards HER. Now that’s sick. Blaming a date-rape victim (even a little) because she was dressed sexier than a num is what's truly sick.

By the way, throughout my experiment I studied actual rape accounts and I have a very good idea of how they happen. The “graphic” account I gave in my earlier post is actuality rather tame, as rape goes. So quit your whining and crying, blow your noses, and off to bed now. You’ve got the big task of facing reality ahead of you.

Have a nice day. :)

Great Guns for Cycling Spotlight: American Derringer DA38

The DA38 from American Derringer is a two-shot double action derringer. Unlike many derringers, which prior to firing must be manually cocked by pulling back the hammer, a double-action derringer fires a shot with a single squeeze of the trigger. The DA38 is manufactured from stainless steel with a satin finish, features a hammerblock thumb safety, and comes in either .38 Special or .40 S&W caliber. It weighs only 14.5 ounces, is very concealable in size, and might be just perfect for a cyclist looking for basic protection.

For more information on the DA38 by American Derringer visit their website at:

http://www.amderringer.com

azdroptop said:
Dang man, that's one pricey gun...
Don't let the MSRP from the manufacturer's website scare you. Although certainly not cheap, I believe I paid $550 (US) for my Smith & Wesson 340PD from a fair-minded dealer. I then searched the internet and found Crimson Trace laser grips for I think around $120. Considering I’ve carried this setup every day for two years now, that’s less than $2 per day so far and decreasing with each passing day.

Safe Cycling & Have a Nice Day. :)