Great Guns for Cycling!

rdr0912 said:
Can someone please enlighten me ?
Some posters on this thread are determined to poison the conversation.
They prefer targets of violence to be unarmed. Ditto taxpayers.
They continually drag the conversation away from the central topic: Great Guns for Cycling!

Tackdriver56 said:
I've been carrying the S&W 642 (Aluminum alloy and Stainless Steel) in a ***** pack or inside the pants holster for almost 15 years.

Uh... inside the pants ?!?!?!? :eek: Could there possibly even be a better reason not to carry while cycling?

I'd rather go without a helmet. (And I suppose it's only a matter of time before someone using an inside the pants holster winds up "without a helmet" as it were.)

Bob Ross said:
... I suppose it's only a matter of time before someone using an inside the pants holster winds up "without a helmet" as it were.)
Sorry Bob,
I should have been more complete in my explanation. The inside the pants holster I use in a more formal setting, down the coin slot (a.k.a. plumber's crack). There are some that are designed for use in the "lower abdomen area" though.

Actually, as has been previously mentioned, modern double action firearms are pretty immune to spontaneous discharge.

Also, anyone with up to date technique keeps the trigger finger on the frame during the draw, and until the muzzle is pointed at the intended target. We get penalized in competition for early shots.

Believe it or not, the only accidental discharge I am aware of in a public setting in my county, was an off-duty LEO who was fondling his firearm in a theater. There was a minor injury due to bullet fragments ricocheting. He got off with a slap on the wrist. If that had been me or any other civilian, we'd have been crucified. We have to be super careful to keep our carry permits.

Tackdriver56 said:
Believe it or not, the only accidental discharge I am aware of in a public setting in my county, was an off-duty LEO who was fondling his firearm in a theater. There was a minor injury due to bullet fragments ricocheting. He got off with a slap on the wrist. If that had been me or any other civilian, we'd have been crucified. We have to be super careful to keep our carry permits.
Fondling his "firearm"?
"Accidental" discharge?
:D :D :D

rdr0912 said:
Can someone please enlighten me why is it is aparently ok to discuss foriegn policy regarding the firearm laws in Iraq and the middle east and it is not okay to discuss the right to carry a conceiled gun when you ride a bike? How many people were saying to move this to the trash or delete the tread...now all of a sudden, many of those same people are discussing this foreign policy. Further they must not think that this is hypocritical on their behalf at all.
If these people think that discussing carring a gun while ridding does not belong on a cycling forum, please inform me why middle eastern firearm policies (having nothing to do with carrying conceiled or cycling) relate to cycling?
...concealed... ...riding....

All subjects are open to discussion.
Some people are disputing that strictly speaking, firearms of any sort are can be classed as "Cycling Equipment", (in spite of my post concerning velo-dog revolvers), and that consequently this thread should be moved to the Soabbox forum, or better still the whole debate moved to a gun forum site.
However, as long as it's here they'll take the opportunity to take pot-shots at you, as it were.

Bob Ross said:
Uh... inside the pants ?!?!?!? :eek: Could there possibly even be a better reason not to carry while cycling?

I'd rather go without a helmet. (And I suppose it's only a matter of time before someone using an inside the pants holster winds up "without a helmet" as it were.)
The gun is the hardest thing they'll ever have in their shorts.
:D

stevebaby said:
just so quick to judge any one else's opinion s on anything it's a shame you can't think with an open mind.

thats what i am talking about joe. i just bought a Rock Island FS Match 1911 45 cal 5"

can't wait to get that thing.

stevebaby said:

You can solve that dead worm problem by switching to a recumbent bike, dude.:D

The Kangaroo Concealed Carry holster isn't perfect, but with a little customization, it's a comfortable and secure shoulder holster to hold a small revolver or semi-auto (PPK size).

It keeps the muzzle pointed in a safe direction (down), and is easy to reach with even a 3/4 zip jersey.

Tip: check the fit, and tighten the holster pocket with a line of stitching if needed.

pistole said:
12 gauge.

strapped to your back.

Well, in the Atlanta area there have been several crimes committed in some of the riding paths/trails. I have considered carrying a concealed weapon but wondered what to look for. Recently, a woman riding her bike was assaulted and killed and I'm sure she could have used one for self defense....

rparedes said:
Well, in the Atlanta area there have been several crimes committed in some of the riding paths/trails. I have considered carrying a concealed weapon but wondered what to look for. Recently, a woman riding her bike was assaulted and killed and I'm sure she could have used one for self defense....

Do you have a carry permit yet?

Tackdriver56 said:
Do you have a carry permit yet?

Nope. Not yet; I've been going to the range to try several; I don't know if i'll get one... I go back and forth... but then again, I've stayed away from those trails....

rparedes said:
Nope. Not yet; I've been going to the range to try several; I don't know if i'll get one... I go back and forth... but then again, I've stayed away from those trails....
Pick up a copy of "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob, and see if you can handle the mindset.
Keep trying guns that belong to friends or instructors.

The Smith and Wesson 642, or one of their other lightweight 5 shot J-frame small revolvers, will be simple and fool-proof.
Load it, holster it. Pull the trigger and it goes bang.
I'm told that the .357 models in Scandium are too light, and kick too hard.

My 642 is .38 Special. Just right, for me.

Semi-auto pistols are flatter, but more complicated. Your instructor can explain.

rparedes said:

Same thing happened several years ago on the trails I ride in the Kansas City area. The rape victim might have called 911 on her cell phone over and over, but the police would had to have been super lucky to find her in time to help. The poor gal never had a chance.

The police are heroes as far as I'm concerned. They try their best to "Protect & Serve" everyone, but it's an impossible task. Each person would need their very own cop, day and night, watching over them their entire life. I decided a long time ago it's not fair of me to shrug off the responsibility of my own safety to overworked, stressed-out law enforcement officers just trying to serve the community the best they can. I'm happy to take personal responsibility for my own safety. Let the police protect those among us who can't protect themselves well - like children and the very elderly. As far as I'm concerned, those of able mind and body who don't take at least some responsibility for their own safety and welfare are pulling resources away from those who really need them.

I'm the original author of this thread and I'm still packing my Smith & Wesson .357 magnum snubby revolver discretely on the trail. I've ridden over 2,000 miles now since I first got it - happily peddling my way to health and happiness; making new friends almost every ride; laughing with my companions and having fun with their kids as we take picnic lunches on the trail - comfortable in knowing that means to securing my safety and the safety of others is at hand if ever needed.

jeepguy32 said:
Same thing happened several years ago on the trails I ride in the Kansas City area. The rape victim might have called 911 on her cell phone over and over, but the police would had to have been super lucky to find her in time to help. The poor gal never had a chance.

The police are heroes as far as I'm concerned. They try their best to "Protect & Serve" everyone, but it's an impossible task. Each person would need their very own cop, day and night, watching over them their entire life. I decided a long time ago it's not fair of me to shrug off the responsibility of my own safety to overworked, stressed-out law enforcement officers just trying to serve the community the best they can. I'm happy to take personal responsibility for my own safety. Let the police protect those among us who can't protect themselves well - like children and the very elderly. As far as I'm concerned, those of able mind and body who don't take at least some responsibility for their own safety and welfare are pulling resources away from those who really need them.

I'm the original author of this thread and I'm still packing my Smith & Wesson .357 magnum snubby revolver discretely on the trail. I've ridden over 2,000 miles now since I first got it - happily peddling my way to health and happiness; making new friends almost every ride; laughing with my companions and having fun with their kids as we take picnic lunches on the trail - comfortable in knowing that means to securing my safety and the safety of others is at hand if ever needed.

Well said.

Your story is also worth noting for the value of having a cell phone with GPS built in, (and configuring it ON) so that police responding to a 911 call can respond quickly to the correct location. Unless you're sneaking off to the mistress.