Great myths of our time: "recumbents can't climb"

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

I thought I'd put it to the test this afternoon by taking a trundle out to Sulham Hill, a slope of
    some local notoriety. I could have made it without the bottom gear if I'd tried, I certainly did it
    with power and breath to spare. No more difficult than the last time I did it on the wedgie,
    although that's probably because the wedgie has a road cogset with a 32" bottom gear (I had to get
    out of the saddle - I hate that!) while the bent has a rather more hill-friendly 26"

Good to know, though, that I can still climb hills even while sitting comfortably :)

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.

Tags:

2. James Annan

James Annan Guest

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I thought I'd put it to the test this afternoon by taking a trundle out to Sulham Hill, a slope of
    > some local notoriety.

ROFL!

> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.

Ah, now it all makes sense.

James

3. Andy Welch

Andy Welch Guest

On 9-Feb-2003, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I thought I'd put it to the test this afternoon by taking a trundle out to Sulham Hill, a slope of
    > some local notoriety. I could have made it without the bottom gear if I'd tried, I certainly did
    > it with power and breath to spare. No more difficult than the last time I did it on the wedgie,
    > although that's probably because the wedgie has a road cogset with a 32" bottom gear (I had to get
    > out of the saddle - I hate that!)

I think that's the key. If you are the sort of person who likes to climb sitting down then all the
    bent really gives you is a more comfortable sitting position and a bit more weight. However, if the
    mere sight of a hill brings on a desire to stand up and really attack that baby then a bent can be a
    bit frustrating.

Cheers,

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.