Great myths of our time: "recumbents can't climb"

Just Zis Guy

Guest
I thought I'd put it to the test this afternoon by taking a trundle out to Sulham Hill, a slope of
some local notoriety. I could have made it without the bottom gear if I'd tried, I certainly did it
with power and breath to spare. No more difficult than the last time I did it on the wedgie,
although that's probably because the wedgie has a road cogset with a 32" bottom gear (I had to get
out of the saddle - I hate that!) while the bent has a rather more hill-friendly 26"

Good to know, though, that I can still climb hills even while sitting comfortably :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

news:<[email protected]>...
> I thought I'd put it to the test this afternoon by taking a trundle out to Sulham Hill, a slope of
> some local notoriety.

ROFL!

> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.

Ah, now it all makes sense.

James

On 9-Feb-2003, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I thought I'd put it to the test this afternoon by taking a trundle out to Sulham Hill, a slope of
> some local notoriety. I could have made it without the bottom gear if I'd tried, I certainly did
> it with power and breath to spare. No more difficult than the last time I did it on the wedgie,
> although that's probably because the wedgie has a road cogset with a 32" bottom gear (I had to get
> out of the saddle - I hate that!)

I think that's the key. If you are the sort of person who likes to climb sitting down then all the
bent really gives you is a more comfortable sitting position and a bit more weight. However, if the
mere sight of a hill brings on a desire to stand up and really attack that baby then a bent can be a
bit frustrating.

Cheers,

Andy