great read

hod65

Jun 24, 2009
just reading paul kimmages book at the moment 'rough ride' anyone out there that has'nt read it yet fascinateing book bout cycling in the 80s and the availability of prohibited drugs on the continent real eye opener ....also his personel diaries of the tour de france and other tours he competed in..:cool:

LIVING STRONG AND HEALTHY BLOGGER: Paul Kimmage Belittles ...

This blog is dedicated to analyze all issues that affect our well being in a positive or negative way, so we can change whatever is hurting us and enhance what makes us better human beings. Exercising and eating properly are not the only factors that keep us healthy. Having a healthy society and a strong economy are also factors that contribute to ...

With his permission here it is: "Save your money Rough Ride is a worthless read, written ... For the rest see: Steroid Nation: February 2009paul-kimmages-lance ...

what did you find about it that was good?

the point is there is not much good to be found in the book , alot of the big cycling stars did'nt like the book when it first appeared why ? paul was only highlighting his exspirences as a pro cyclist which had never been writen about as far as i know till then nobody wanted to here this stuff ...the only way to try and eliminate the drugs was firstly bringing it to the fore front in the media surly this was a positive step ....i would agree the coment made about the cancer returning was very insulting to a lot of people but with all due respect thats a diferent point ...

hod65 said:
the point is there is not much good to be found in the book , alot of the big cycling stars did'nt like the book when it first appeared why ? paul was only highlighting his exspirences as a pro cyclist which had never been writen about as far as i know till then nobody wanted to here this stuff ...the only way to try and eliminate the drugs was firstly bringing it to the fore front in the media surly this was a positive step ....i would agree the coment made about the cancer returning was very insulting to a lot of people but with all due respect thats a diferent point ...

well, as soon as i saw your post is when i googled the book and i saw the above link. i guess you are saying the same thing but i dunno sh!t from **** when it comes to these big stars of cycling, i keep it real.

i don't think that that guy will be a first on my list of next reads.

Its an interesting read, Kimmage's style isn't the easiest read to my mind, but the topic is well covered.

Maybe put [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/034549962X?tag=jobsinproc-21&camp=1406&creative=6394&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=034549962X&adid=0FVZ5PPKQJM68495K9C6&"]From Lance to Landis: Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour de France[/ame] on your reading list too

I also search for great read then i got your post so it is very interest to read this topic.

hod65 said:
anyone read 'its not about the bike' lance armstrong ?

I think I passed it while browsing the fiction section. Isn't that fraud still claiming he never took dope even though his retrospectively tested urine showed him positive for EPO six times?

From Lance to Landis, now that is a good book about cycling.

A Dog in a Hat is also interesting.

Kimmage's book is great - anyone who has actually read it will know he doesn't point fingers. He just talks about how difficult he personally found the life of a pro. Sure he mentions drugs, but this is not the emphasis of the book. Its a fascinating read, a bit like the diary of someone who has an unusual job (albeit with some dubious aspects to it).
Kimmage's doping crusade came after the book, and while his anti-doping stance is commendable, his scatter-gun approach wins hime no fans.

he,s the eamon dunphy of cycling,....i think you get the impression that he was'nt as comitted to it as you have to be to succeed .not like roache or kelly who would have drawn thier last breath on a bike ..

hod65 said:
.. like roache or kelly who would have drawn thier last breath on a bike ..

now there are some people who i'd like to ride with. if you knew me, i said those exact words years ago, i'd rather die riding.

if i'm lucky..