Great Ride Home on Friday

Gags

Guest
Friday arvo was just brilliant weather down here in Melbourne.....it was a
sunny 18 degrees or so with a slight breeze and a great arvo to be on the
bike. I had to go home via the city to drop off my mobile to the Nokia shop
(stupid $%#&n Nokia) and then, as I was on the mountainbike, I headed out of
the city and got onto Johnston St to get onto the Yarra trail. I stopped at
a red light at Hoddle St and noticed a guy standing on the corner who was
obviously hard up for cash as he was holding a sign for one of the local
storage companies and was wearing what was essentially a cardboard box
around his waist (suspended from his shoulders) that had "boxes" written on
it on each of its four sides. He had earbuds in and didn't seem to be
enjoying himself too much - I was in a great mood due to how nice a day it
was and the fact that I had knocked off at 3:30pm so I decided to see if I
could get a laugh out of him. I yelled out "mate, you need to shake it a
bit!!" - I don't think he heard me properly but he must have thought I was
having a go at him because he gave me a bit of a surly look. I then
proceeded to demonstrate what I meant and started shaking my bum a bit and
pointing down towards my hips while yelling out "like this mate". By this
stage I was laughing pretty hard and so where a few of the drivers at the
lights - the guy told me to ******** or something but I'm sure I picked up a
hint of a grin as he said it even though he was trying to look ****** off!!!

Once I got on the Yarra Trail I caught up to a guy just before the Fairfield
Boathouse on an Azzuri road bike who I had seen plenty of times over the
years but had never spoken to. We got chatting and ended up riding together
all the way to the bridge at Bourke Rd where I turned off towards Heidelberg
and he went straight towards Doncaster. I then did the last section of my
ride home at a pretty leisurely pace and just soaked up the great weather.

Sure, we need the rain down here but I could handle plenty more days like
Friday - bring it on.

Man I love commuting by bike!!!!!!!

Gags

Gags wrote:
> Friday arvo was just brilliant weather down here in Melbourne.....it was a
> sunny 18 degrees or so with a slight breeze and a great arvo to be on the
> bike. I had to go home via the city to drop off my mobile to the Nokia shop
> (stupid $%#&n Nokia) and then, as I was on the mountainbike, I headed out of
> the city and got onto Johnston St to get onto the Yarra trail. I stopped at
> a red light at Hoddle St and noticed a guy standing on the corner who was
> obviously hard up for cash as he was holding a sign for one of the local
> storage companies and was wearing what was essentially a cardboard box
> around his waist (suspended from his shoulders) that had "boxes" written on
> it on each of its four sides. He had earbuds in and didn't seem to be
> enjoying himself too much - I was in a great mood due to how nice a day it
> was and the fact that I had knocked off at 3:30pm so I decided to see if I
> could get a laugh out of him. I yelled out "mate, you need to shake it a
> bit!!" - I don't think he heard me properly but he must have thought I was
> having a go at him because he gave me a bit of a surly look. I then
> proceeded to demonstrate what I meant and started shaking my bum a bit and
> pointing down towards my hips while yelling out "like this mate". By this
> stage I was laughing pretty hard and so where a few of the drivers at the
> lights - the guy told me to ******** or something but I'm sure I picked up a
> hint of a grin as he said it even though he was trying to look ****** off!!!
>
> Once I got on the Yarra Trail I caught up to a guy just before the Fairfield
> Boathouse on an Azzuri road bike who I had seen plenty of times over the
> years but had never spoken to. We got chatting and ended up riding together
> all the way to the bridge at Bourke Rd where I turned off towards Heidelberg
> and he went straight towards Doncaster. I then did the last section of my
> ride home at a pretty leisurely pace and just soaked up the great weather.
>
> Sure, we need the rain down here but I could handle plenty more days like
> Friday - bring it on.
>
> Man I love commuting by bike!!!!!!!
>
> Gags

Just home from the Saturday afternoon race and It was a joy to to be
out, even though I was 'busting a gut'
19 degrees and very little wind - perfect racing weather.
Halcyon

Friday was a hard day for me.... had to ride back from Frankston into a ***** of a wind... but was a good hard effort, but if Friday was good, Saturday was even more incredible, apart from again what seemed like a head wind, no matter which way I turned, doing a loop out to Mt Dandy and back, but I was really starting to overheat... been enjoying the cool riding climate.