great ride this morning

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Mar 4, 2006.

  1. Sunny, temps in the low 50s. All the plum trees are in bloom; other trees
    starting to bud out now. Olympic mountains etched against a blue sky. Little
    fluffy cumulous clouds. My husband and I in matching jerseys, feeling very
    tandem-ish. I took off the jacket about 10 miles into the ride and just wore
    my light tights and the fingerless gloves.

    Spring! Spring! You can tell it's here!

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    Sponsor me for the Big Climb! See: www.active.com/donate/cpetersky06
    See the books I've set free at:

  2. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Claire Petersky wrote:
    > Sunny, temps in the low 50s.

    63 here (Loveland, CO).

  3. On 3/4/2006 3:02 PM Claire Petersky wrote:

    > Sunny, temps in the low 50s.

    Low 50's here in coastal San Diego county, too. When it's sunny, like it
    was this morning, low 50's are the best. IMO, natch.

    --

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
    71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

  4. Lucky Devils!

    In NJ it was 28 today with a high of 38. We still have some icy patches. We
    had 50 degree weeks in January and now it's colder! I can't wait for warm
    weather. I'm becoming stir crazy on the weekends waiting for some nice
    riding weather.

  5. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
    > Sunny, temps in the low 50s. All the plum trees are in bloom; other trees
    > starting to bud out now. Olympic mountains etched against a blue sky. Little
    > fluffy cumulous clouds. My husband and I in matching jerseys, feeling very
    > tandem-ish. I took off the jacket about 10 miles into the ride and just wore
    > my light tights and the fingerless gloves.
    >
    > Spring! Spring! You can tell it's here!

    Ain't it nice? I'm appreciate the early daylight in the mornings.
    I just started a new job and it's permanent graveyard shift; I'm
    still getting used to the new routine, so that's temporarily
    curtailed my riding somewhat. But pretty soon I'll be coming
    home from work, having dinner, and then going out for a morning
    ride before hitting the hay.

    I still have my magic helmet cover installed. If I take it
    off, it'll rain fer sher.

    My rhubarb is growing at an alarming rate. I have plans to
    make a fruity desert tzimmis with it pretty soon. It might
    even make a nice topping on oatmeal.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  6. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:

    > My rhubarb is growing at an alarming rate. I have plans to
    > make a fruity desert tzimmis with it pretty soon.

    ^
    D'oh!! The ol' desert/dessert diff always gets me.

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  7. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:
    >
    >> My rhubarb is growing at an alarming rate. I have plans to
    >> make a fruity desert tzimmis with it pretty soon.

    > ^
    > D'oh!! The ol' desert/dessert diff always gets me.
    >
    > --
    > -- Nothing is safe from me.
    > Above address is just a spam midden.
    > I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

    Why not try making some rhubarb wine with it this year! It really does make
    an excellent wine and after a couple of years aging will surprise you and
    your guests!
    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,

  8. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Pinky" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Why not try making some rhubarb wine with it this year! It really does make
    > an excellent wine and after a couple of years aging will surprise you and
    > your guests!

    Actually that's a long-standing family tradition, along with
    dandelion wine, elderberry wine and blackberry wine (and other
    potable delights.) Alas, my solitary rhubarb plant is still a
    young pup and doesn't provide much quantity, and it already
    started growing before I had a chance to divide it. But at
    least I can always buy some at the supermarket.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  9. "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:
    >
    >> My rhubarb is growing at an alarming rate. I have plans to
    >> make a fruity desert tzimmis with it pretty soon.

    > ^
    > D'oh!! The ol' desert/dessert diff always gets me.

    As a kid, I used the mnemonic, "desert -- one is a enough, dessert, two are
    delightful".

    The girls and I are VERY fond of rhubarb.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    Sponsor me for the Big Climb! See: www.active.com/donate/cpetersky06
    See the books I've set free at:

  10. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    > "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> [email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:
    >>
    >>> My rhubarb is growing at an alarming rate. I have plans to
    >>> make a fruity desert tzimmis with it pretty soon.

    >> ^
    >> D'oh!! The ol' desert/dessert diff always gets me.

    > As a kid, I used the mnemonic, "desert -- one is a enough, dessert, two
    > are delightful".
    >
    > The girls and I are VERY fond of rhubarb.
    >
    > --
    > Warm Regards,
    >
    > Claire Petersky

    Folks, this is the kind of idle chit-chat that destroys a newsgroup. Before
    you know it, all you have left are a few regulars who are into nothing but
    saying hi to one another.

    Claire means well, but like all women she will say anything that flits into
    her mind. She needs to check this impulse as there are just too many dumb
    men on this group who will respond to her every utterance, no matter how
    mindless.

    I urge the men of RBM to not be such jelly fish when it comes what a woman
    has to say about anything. After all, it is well known that women are not up
    to rigorous intellectual discourse. Don't believe me? Then why not talk to
    your own wives instead of burdening the Great Ed Dolan with mindless
    chit-chat on RBM.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  11. Will

    Will Guest

    Edward Dolan wrote:

    > Then why not talk to
    > your own wives instead of burdening the Great Ed Dolan with mindless
    > chit-chat on RBM.

    I have finally realized that my pre-conception of you has been wrong.
    You are indeed wise and wonderful. Do not waste your time with this
    group. They will never appreciate your greatness. Certainly you have
    considered forming your own group. DO SO! Spare yourself futher sorrow.
    Share your vitality with the enlightened, with Fabrizio!. The unworthy,
    the unwashed, the females will miss you but it is written... Saepe
    summa ingenia in occulto latent.

  12. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Will" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Edward Dolan wrote:
    >
    >> Then why not talk to
    >> your own wives instead of burdening the Great Ed Dolan with mindless
    >> chit-chat on RBM.

    > I have finally realized that my pre-conception of you has been wrong.
    > You are indeed wise and wonderful. Do not waste your time with this
    > group. They will never appreciate your greatness. Certainly you have
    > considered forming your own group. DO SO! Spare yourself futher sorrow.
    > Share your vitality with the enlightened, with Fabrizio!. The unworthy,
    > the unwashed, the females will miss you but it is written... Saepe
    > summa ingenia in occulto latent.

    Will is onto something here. But where is there such a group of god-like
    spirits who will know what I am worth. Instead, I live in world of fools and
    knaves who do not appreciate me. But I think Will has a glimmer of my
    Greatness. Now if we could only get some more such as him, we could all be
    on our way to Greatness!

    RBM is even more mindless than ARBR. The amount of trivial chit-chat is mind
    boggling. Every time I look in on this group I feel like I have wandered
    into a snake pit of insanity - nothing but babbling morons and imbeciles. I
    will shortly leave you to yourselves, but first I have some unfinished
    business with an idiot who goes by the name of Tom Keats. I will have to
    take him to the proverbial woodshed for a good thrashing. He has a very
    mistaken delusion about how Great he is and I will have to dispute that with
    him as to who is the Greater. Stayed tuned for some amusing shenanigans.

    By the way, Fabreezio is a freaking idiot who is just into wanking these
    days and the only thing I am ever going to share with him is my disdain for
    him.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  13. "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > >> ^
    > >> D'oh!! The ol' desert/dessert diff always gets me.

    > > As a kid, I used the mnemonic, "desert -- one is a enough, dessert, two
    > > are delightful".
    > >
    > > The girls and I are VERY fond of rhubarb.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Warm Regards,
    > >
    > > Claire Petersky

    > Folks, this is the kind of idle chit-chat that destroys a newsgroup.

    Before
    > you know it, all you have left are a few regulars who are into nothing but
    > saying hi to one another.
    >
    > Claire means well, but like all women she will say anything that flits

    into
    > her mind. She needs to check this impulse as there are just too many dumb
    > men on this group who will respond to her every utterance, no matter how
    > mindless.
    >
    > I urge the men of RBM to not be such jelly fish when it comes what a woman
    > has to say about anything. After all, it is well known that women are not

    up
    > to rigorous intellectual discourse. Don't believe me? Then why not talk to
    > your own wives instead of burdening the Great Ed Dolan with mindless
    > chit-chat on RBM.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    > aka
    > Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

    hi Ed, how's it going?

  14. The Sat. AM temperature at my home NW of Milwaukee was 13F, warming to about
    34F in the afternoon. I got in 56 miles of riding.

    Today snow started about 2:30 p.m., so I quit after 35 miles. it seems to
    have quit snowing by now, after about 2", so I'm hopeful the morning commute
    tomorrow will be OK.

    It's not spring yet!

    > Sunny, temps in the low 50s. All the plum trees are in bloom; other trees
    > starting to bud out now. Olympic mountains etched against a blue sky.
    > Little fluffy cumulous clouds. My husband and I in matching jerseys,
    > feeling very tandem-ish. I took off the jacket about 10 miles into the
    > ride and just wore my light tights and the fingerless gloves.
    >
    > Spring! Spring! You can tell it's here!
    >
    > --
    > Warm Regards,
    >
    > Claire Petersky
    > http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    > Sponsor me for the Big Climb! See: www.active.com/donate/cpetersky06
    > See the books I've set free at:
    > http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  15. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 13:03:32 -0600, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
    trolled in r.b.m & x-posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

    >She needs to check this impulse as there are just too many dumb
    >men on this group who will respond to her every utterance, no matter how
    >mindless.

    uhh huh
    Go Fish, squid.
    --
    zk

  16. Paul Hobson

    Paul Hobson Guest

    Ron Wallenfang wrote:
    > The Sat. AM temperature at my home NW of Milwaukee was 13F, warming to about
    > 34F in the afternoon. I got in 56 miles of riding.
    >
    > Today snow started about 2:30 p.m., so I quit after 35 miles. it seems to
    > have quit snowing by now, after about 2", so I'm hopeful the morning commute
    > tomorrow will be OK.
    >
    > It's not spring yet!

    Sunny & 75 deg. F in Atlanta! I love this town!
    \\paul

  17. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    Paul Hobson wrote:
    > Ron Wallenfang wrote:
    >
    >> The Sat. AM temperature at my home NW of Milwaukee was 13F, warming to
    >> about 34F in the afternoon. I got in 56 miles of riding.
    >>
    >> Today snow started about 2:30 p.m., so I quit after 35 miles. it
    >> seems to have quit snowing by now, after about 2", so I'm hopeful the
    >> morning commute tomorrow will be OK.
    >>
    >> It's not spring yet!

    > Sunny & 75 deg. F in Atlanta! I love this town!
    > \\paul

    And you ears didn't freeze off?
    I tried that when I bought a house in Minnesota and rode about a 30 mile
    loop, sweating under my jacket but my nose and ears did not like it.
    Bill Baka

  18. 64 In NJ today! Time to break the bike out of mothballs and hit the park.
    Since it's my first time on the bike this season, I'll try for 10 to 12
    miles.

    It's about time we got a break from the winter weather.

  19. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:
    > On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 13:03:32 -0600, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
    > trolled in r.b.m & x-posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
    >
    >>She needs to check this impulse as there are just too many dumb
    >>men on this group who will respond to her every utterance, no matter how
    >>mindless.

    > uhh huh
    > Go Fish, squid.

    I'm afraid I haven't been able to make it out to that
    Kent St. rubber mine. I've been working graveyard shift
    at Hbc Logistics (18111 Blundell [& No 8 Rd], Richmond, BC).

    Trust them to put up a huge warehouse/distribution centre
    in the middle of prime agricultural land, and so far off
    the beaten track & inaccessible by public transit.

    I get a long weekend because of the wind storm last Wednesday
    night -- apparently all the ships in the port are back-logged
    for off-loading. So there's momentarily nothing for me to
    unload/reload at the cross-dock.

    I guess that little snowfall yesterday makes Vancouver a slightly
    canadian city.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  20. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    [...]
    > I guess that little snowfall yesterday makes Vancouver a slightly
    > canadian city.

    Why is this asshole from BC capitalizing 'Vancouver' but not 'Canadian'?