Great Way to Start the Season! :)

Bailsibub

Jun 7, 2007
My first race of the year was this past Sunday. 250 riders. I got in a breakaway right at the start and it stuck. Then I won! :D

Man, I hope the rest of the season continues to be this good!

ScottBreakawayatChuncheonTDKPretest.jpg

ScottsGloryShotChuncheonTDKPretest1.jpg

Chuncheon10Holdingmybigcheck.jpg

Sick result :D:D:D

What a way to start the season indeed. Judging from the photos, it appears you had 4 in the break but you managed to lose two of the fellas who look conspicuously sprinter-like.

Surprised to hear that the first break stuck. I know in that strategy thread, most people agreed (you might have mentioned this yourself I think) that it usually takes multiple attempts to make a successful escape. Maybe you caught them napping or had some good fortune? I'm thinking regardless of the how or why, you ought to be pleased with the result.

Congrats! Hopefully this may portend a great season. But you must consider - you can only go down from here:D...

I gotta ask though - what the heck is the 2nd place finisher wearing? A TT helmet for a road race?!

congratulations but two arms up in the air woulda been more triumphant. :D (i wanted to toss in a smiley too) what category race was this/are you guys? pro's, is it?

Great job, is that in Korea? I just wonder since the writing on the check is in Korean.:)

Sorry, silly question,I just noticed where it says Tour de Korea in the background. Once again Congrats!:eek:

I guess I should have written some more about how the race unfolded....

We did 8x9-km laps. On the first lap, that larger Korean rider with us (the ex-national champ) kept attacking. Of course, he's got a big rep here...sort of like the Korean version of Ned Overend.... so everyone chased. Midway through the next lap, the Czech rider (with the aero helmet...surprised they let him wear that) escaped on the flats, with the little sprinter guy in tow. No one chased since no one knew who the Czech (turns out he's an Olympic medalist :eek:) was.

On the next time up the climb, the Korean rider attacked again, and I was the only one who could respond. We bridged to those two guys. We each took a couple pulls, with the little sprinter guy at his limit and soon jettisoned. That splinter group behind us chased until they hit the descent but was swallowed up by the peloton.

We worked well together the rest of the time. I did my pulls, but we definitely cracked the whip on each other out there.

Then 2 km before the finish, I think I surprised them by having a dig on the descent. (Wouldn't you be surprised if a 63 kg guy attacked you on a downhill?) I made a gap and the Korean had to pull me back, pulling the Czech rider. At the bottom of the descent was a short 30-40 second kicker and the Czech rider attacked. I responded but the Korean rider was dropped. We traded a couple pulls but coming into the sprint I had him ahead of me, and I took it.

It definitely wasn't your typical race. I improvized a few times, cranked hard as hell when I needed to, and it worked out.

Thanks everyone :D

I'm over 5 w/kg right now. Should be able to eek out a few more watts before the tour, so I should have a good race. But yeah, after you win a race, you have more pressure not to lose :eek:

tonyzackery said:
A TT helmet for a road race?!

Why wear a helmet that has vents in it for a race that looks like it was held in near freezing conditions? Plus, it's gotta be worth a small advantage...

Nice result - and you don't look that knackered at the end either...

The more I see you on the bike the more you kinda look like Wayne 'hard b@stard' Randall... except without the true psychotic facial expression that can come from dragging around three dozen cattle behind the bike during 40mph intervals at 3.30am.

Bailsibub said:
I guess I should have written some more about how the race unfolded....
Er..yeah. It's always nice to know how things went down. A great win - well done dude :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comp Swampy. Randall sounds like one tough dude. I don't look knackered? I guess I hide it well!:D

And cheers Ade. Yep, I'm doing the Tour de Korea again this year. Training is now reaching its peak, and I'm looking forward to some form come the end of the month!

swampy1970 said:
Nice result - and you don't look that knackered at the end either...

The more I see you on the bike the more you kinda look like Wayne 'hard b@stard' Randall... except without the true psychotic facial expression that can come from dragging around three dozen cattle behind the bike during 40mph intervals at 3.30am.

So, how many more stages and is that first place prize gonna be spent down the local massage parlour? :D

I was just looking on the ol' interweb to see what Wayne was upto. 18 minute 10 mile TT's and made the cover of Vogue at some point it would seem. ;)

Maybe a photo shoot could be in your future:

n1453605878_186035_9606.jpg

Some say that when darkness falls, wayne gets on the turbo trainer and generates enough power to provide the electricity for the whole of Sheffield...