Greatest Athlete of All Time?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sm, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Sm

    Sm Guest

    I know this is going to cause some discussion but who do you think is the best cyclist of all time
    and where on the list of "Greatest Athletes of All Time" would they be?

    Tags:

  2. lazysegall

    lazysegall New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2003
    If you say that Merckx is the best. Now whether Merckx is the best athelete who was a cyclist is a question, but he was the best cyclist. I think that he is clearly behind Jim Thorpe and Jim Brown (bothe these guys played multipile sports so well it was ridiculous). Honestly, Eric Heiden was so dominant in speed skating (he also won the first us Pro cycling championships. At lillihammer they also had him go out and skate. His time still would have been good enough for 16 (I don't remember what event that was in). If we go to women I think we need to include Babe didrickson Zaharius, she was once again a multisport star. Carl Lewis (he doped), but Merckx might have as well? Mark Spitz? Michael Jordan? Babe Ruth (yeah he was fat, but so dominant for his day and he could pitch too). Pele? That is just a few and not an attempt to through every sport.

  3. Scribe2b

    Scribe2b Guest

    quang duong, cyclo driver in east haiphong city, has raised 3 generations of family by cycling. his
    body is like iron. he has the heart of five lions. does he qualify for "best cyclist" category? jc

  4. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:10:54 GMT, "SM" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I know this is going to cause some discussion but who do you think is the best cyclist of all time
    >and where on the list of "Greatest Athletes of All Time" would they be?

    Babe Didrickson Zaharias, hands down greatest athlete of all time.

    Cyclist, Eddie.

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  5. "SM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I know this is going to cause some discussion

    do a google search.

    We've had a very large discussion on this topic in this very newsgroup.

  6. Scribe2b wrote:

    > quang duong, cyclo driver in east haiphong city, has raised 3 generations of family by cycling.
    > his body is like iron. he has the heart of five lions. does he qualify for "best cyclist"
    > category? jc

    No.

  7. Ali

    Mark VandenBerghe

    Don't forget, Edwin Moses and Henry Rono (at one time had every record from 3,000 to 10,000). Theses
    are athletes that every time they showed up every one else raced for second. Even Merckx couldn't
    say that (although cycling is quite differnet iun that ypou race vevery week sometimes twice).
    Perhaps we should add El Guerrouj.

    "lazysegall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sm wrote:
    > > I know this is going to cause some discussion but who do you think is the best cyclist of all
    > > time and where on the list of "Greatest
    Athletes
    > > of All Time" would they be?
    >

    > If you say that Merckx is the best. Now whether Merckx is the best athelete who was a cyclist is a
    > question, but he was the best cyclist. I think that he is clearly behind Jim Thorpe and Jim Brown
    > (bothe these guys played multipile sports so well it was ridiculous). Honestly, Eric Heiden was so
    > dominant in speed skating (he also won the first us Pro cycling championships. At lillihammer they
    > also had him go out and skate. His time still would have been good enough for 16 (I don't remember
    > what event that was in). If we go to women I think we need to include Babe didrickson Zaharius,
    > she was once again a multisport star. Carl Lewis (he doped), but Merckx might have as well? Mark
    > Spitz? Michael Jordan? Babe Ruth (yeah he was fat, but so dominant for his day and he could pitch
    > too). Pele? That is just a few and not an attempt to through every sport.

  8. lazysegall

    lazysegall New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2003

    Different Cycling races are also different. The 400 meter hurdles is always the same. A TT, a stage race, a mountain race, a flat race with a bunch sprint all require different abilities. Winning the tour 6 times would be similar to Moses track records. Not too say that if Lance wins 6 he is like Moses...I am just speaking on how cycling is different than a track event. In other words Cycling is to Track as Sprinting (Cipo style) is to the 100 Meter Dash

  9. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Mulai Ismail (1646-1727), the last Sharifian Emperor of Morocco. Screamin' Jay Hawkins, who put a
    spell on enough women to father (at latest count) 57 kids, pales in comparison. And Wilt Chamberlain
    claimed 20,000 victories in his career.

  10. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  11. "SM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I know this is going to cause some discussion but who do you think is the best cyclist of all time
    > and where on the list of "Greatest Athletes of
    All
    > Time" would they be?

    I'll list four each gender...

    Women- Babe Didrikson Jackie Joyner-Kersee Florence Griffith-Joyner Chris Everett

    Men- Muhammad Ali Jim Thorpe Michael Jordan Carl lewis

    B-

  12. "SM" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I know this is going to cause some discussion but who do you think is the best cyclist of all time
    > and where on the list of "Greatest Athletes of All Time" would they be?

    Though this is a *really* subjective (not to mention off topic) discussion, I'll give it my $0.02.

    I think its ridiculous to say that someone besides a world class decathalete is the best athlete
    ever. That's what the compitition is designed to do... find the best all around athlete... period.

    Amongst the decathaletes, well, that's up for discussion. There isn't really an objective way to
    compare one from one generation to the next. I guess you could look at all of their times,
    distances, etc. But then some folks are better at some things than others and vica versa. Kind of
    like in cycling is impossible to compare riders from different eras.

    - Boyd S.

  13. Glenn Dowdy

    Glenn Dowdy Guest

    "Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:10:54 GMT, "SM" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I know this is going to cause some discussion but who do you think is the best cyclist of all
    > >time and where on the list of "Greatest Athletes of
    All
    > >Time" would they be?
    >
    > Babe Didrickson Zaharias, hands down greatest athlete of all time.

    Goran Kroop

    Glenn D.

  14. Robert Chung wrote:

    > Mulai Ismail (1646-1727), the last Sharifian Emperor of Morocco. Screamin' Jay Hawkins, who put a
    > spell on enough women to father (at latest count) 57 kids, pales in comparison. And Wilt
    > Chamberlain claimed 20,000 victories in his career.

    Sri Chinmoy can do one-arm military presses with 500 kg at age 80.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

  15. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

  16. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Scribe2b wrote:
    > quang duong, cyclo driver in east haiphong city, has raised 3 generations of family by cycling.
    > his body is like iron. he has the heart of five lions. does he qualify for "best cyclist"
    > category? jc

    If he does, you also have to consider Puong Bhang from lower Ho Chi Minh district. He raised 4
    generations of family _and_ neighbours by cycling. his body is like petrified mahogany. he has the
    transplanted hearts of 6 water buffaloes.

  17. Nev Shea

    Nev Shea Guest

  18. "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "SM" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > > I know this is going to cause some discussion but who do you think is the best cyclist of all
    > > time and where on the list of "Greatest Athletes of
    All
    > > Time" would they be?
    >
    > Though this is a *really* subjective (not to mention off topic) discussion,
    I'll give it my $0.02.

    > I think its ridiculous to say that someone besides a world class
    decathalete is the best athlete ever.
    > That's what the compitition is designed to do... find the best all around
    athlete... period.

    The best athlete may not have participated in the decathlon, or have ever even thought about it if
    they didn't participate in track and field.

  19. "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "SM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I know this is going to cause some discussion but who do you think is the best cyclist of all
    > > time and where on the list of "Greatest Athletes of
    > All
    > > Time" would they be?
    > >
    > I'll list four each gender...
    >
    > Women- Babe Didrikson Jackie Joyner-Kersee Florence Griffith-Joyner Chris Everett

    Chris Everett wasn't even as good as Martina Navritilova or Stephie Graf.

    If you're going to consider someone, they should at least be the best in their own sport.

  20. Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:

    > Robert Chung wrote:
    >
    > > Mulai Ismail (1646-1727), the last Sharifian Emperor of Morocco. Screamin' Jay Hawkins, who put
    > > a spell on enough women to father (at latest count) 57 kids, pales in comparison. And Wilt
    > > Chamberlain claimed 20,000 victories in his career.
    >
    > Sri Chinmoy can do one-arm military presses with 500 kg at age 80.
    >
    > Steve

    Oh, and Jack LaLanne can still pull tugboats around the harbor with a rope clenched in his
    teeth. And his teeth appear to be real.

    Steve