Votes: 31 64.6%
  • 1995 Indurain-Bruyneel Fastest stage to Liege

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Armstrong and Pantani battle it out on Mont Ventoux

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

Jimmythecuckoo

Jun 3, 2003
It is coming round to that time of year again when the tdf concentrates our mind.

Which of these classic stages from my memory bank do you guys rate the highest?

For me the Chiappucci / Sestrieres stands out. I don't remember too many details of the route itself other than that it was long and extraordinarily hard with a number of big climbs. Chiapucci went out on the attack early and survived to the end, where he was too spent to even take one hand off the bars, let alone two, as he crossed the line. Back down in the valley plenty of grown men had been reduced to tears and couldn't even hold the wheel in front on the flat.

well i liked last year first mountain stage with heras,beloki,armstrong it was really exciting to watch

Chiappucci!! the most inspirational piece of riding I've ever seen! I think he was on his own for over 180kms or something, over the toughest climbs of the tour. A true attacking rider - always fun to watch.

Originally posted by MidBunchLurker
Chiappucci!! the most inspirational piece of riding I've ever seen! I think he was on his own for over 180kms or something, over the toughest climbs of the tour. A true attacking rider - always fun to watch.

I remember watching this stage as a kid, its responsible for getting me into bike racing. Awesome stuff!

cheers

I put in my two cents for lemond fignon. That might have been the best comeback in the history of sports. Moreover, Lemond still holds the record for fastes TDF time trial. 58 seconds in 26.5 km is simply incredible and figon's reaction is so memorable. It reminds us of how important the TDF is. Before the day started Figon had already congradulated Lemond on his amazing second place.

I cant describe what an impact the LeMond/Fignon time trial had on me.It was one of those sporting moments I will remember forever - the totally despondent Fignon, and LeMond, almost in disbelief. Youwould go a long way to find anything better in cycling, or sport in general.

Regard, Brett

Is there any real competition to Claudio Chiapucci and his ride up to Sestriere? And the great Miguel Indurain burning off his rivals as he set off in pursuit. Claudio won every climb of the day and had cycled 140 kms on his own to the foot of that last climb.

It still gives me goosepimples to think of it...

dont get me wrong the fignon/le mond duel was great
but ive always been one for the epic mountain stages , ive got a picture of chiapucci (descending the iseran on that stage) on my wall and it still brings shivers to my spine.

Notice that no one who voted for lance bothered to post why? It seems like those voters were some people who have never even heard of fignon or chiapucci.

or cant spell Chiappucci!!! (only joking!!)
As an Englishman I hope to repost this in about 5 years talking about Dave Millar flying up the Champs Elysses in yellow!!

Originally posted by Jimmythecuckoo
As an Englishman I hope to repost this in about 5 years talking about Dave Millar flying up the Champs Elysses in yellow!!

How old is he now?

mid 20's so there is still time for him to (a) knuckle down and (b) develop that stamina for repetitive days in the high mountains.

1987 stage to La Plagne, won by Fignon. The real Battle was betwen Roche and Delgado the tour was won that day with an extrordinary effort by Roche. After Roche attacking midway thru (I tink the had 5 big passes) he was finaly reeled in in the valley before the final climb, the Fresh delgado attacked him was over 2 minutes up in the final kilometers roput his head down plopped it in the big ring and narrowed it to less tha 15 seconds. Roche colapsed andwas taken away in an ambulance. The 87' tour was an amazing tour more than this year all the way down to american Jeff Pierce sliping the field an winning the final stage. This year was close but the major players (save Vino) made few big moves mosly rode together until the final climb, they played it safe it was exciting cause it was close. Points race was exciting. The Tyler stage was brilliant although.

'89 Lemond TT -awesome
'92 Il Diablo solo to Sestriere -incredibly ballsy (lets not forget Andy's ride up Alpe d' huez the next day)
'03 Hamilton busted collarbone, attacking on Alpe d' Huez, hanging tough through the mountains, huge solo stage victory!, 2nd in the final TT, and 4th overall -P R I C E L E S S

This year's Alpe d'heuz stage was truly awesome.
Hamilton's brave ride, Mayo's excellent stage win, Armstrong's defending and Beloki's great attacking.
All on the backdrop of the greatest climb in Tour history and half a million fans cheering all the the riders on.

i vote for lemond-fignon...cycling changed for me after that event...i remember calling a friend and fellow rider - we could not believe it..in fact the entire 1989 tour was epic

Chiappucci's ride was great.
I didn't see anything great about Armstrong/Pantani on Ventoux... Armstrong didn't even try to win the stage anyway, and the time gaps were small.....blah

My favorite might have been stage 15 of the 1998 tour: Pantani attacking and stealing the race.

Some of my favorites:

86 Bontempi (stays ahead of 8 full speed pursuers, they dont gain a second)
86 Hinault-Lemond at Alpe D'huez
90 Indurain Luz Ardiden
92 Chiapucci at Sestrieres (the best I guess)
98 Pantani attacks, Ulrich gets a flat and then explodes when trying to get back to Pantani.
03 Armstrong Luz Ardiden