Greatest Riders of All Time

Wayne666 said:
Look at how the ranking is created. The Tour de France dominates the system, particularly getting on the podium. For me it is a **** way of determining an overall great ranking. Look at how high Ullrich and Zabel are. Sure they had their moments but really are they in the top-20 cyclists of all time, hardly.
Zabel is probably up there because of his classics wins: 4 MSR wins, 3 Paris Tours, 1 Amstel and 1 HEW. Ok lets forget HEW. That was never a classic. Zabel has an impressive record.

Frigo's Luggage said:
Zabel is probably up there because of his classics wins: 4 MSR wins, 3 Paris Tours, 1 Amstel and 1 HEW. Ok lets forget HEW. That was never a classic. Zabel has an impressive record.
I did not recall he had won MSR and PT that many times. Still for me, hard to put him in the top 20 all-time.

Wayne666 said:
I did not recall he had won MSR and PT that many times.
He should of won another MSR.

5740.7135.f.jpg

Frigo's Luggage said:
Plus how many green jerseys?

Zabel rates high. But when you think about what he's done and then compare him to Kelly, who is a similar rider, there's no comparison. It's Kelly, hands down.

jhuskey said:
I am relieved that I wasn't listed. It would have been a big embarassment to my modesty. :D

Eddie is the man!
Actually you were listed but I told them to ban you from the list. It would have been embarrasing and just too expensive, imagine all books had to be rewritten: Not Merckx but Huskey greatest champ etc.

Besides, Eddy is a nice guy to have a beer with ;-)

cyclingheroes said:
Actually you were listed but I told them to ban you from the list. It would have been embarrasing and just too expensive, imagine all books had to be rewritten: Not Merckx but Huskey greatest champ etc.

Besides, Eddy is a nice guy to have a beer with ;-)
Have you guys ever see this video of Merckx riding rollers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7K4O7YTLQQ

Guy was a sewing machine!

Crankyfeet said:
I can guarantee that a lot of Americans will not be able to fathom how Armstrong ranks sixth.

"How can a guy who wins SEVEN Tour de France's come sixth? Is there another race or something??"....:confused: :confused: :confused:
More like the haters will complain that he is that high on the list. Anyone who knows even a little about Cycling as a whole wouldn't be surprised. Now, if he was ranked 6th all time on a list of just Tour de France riders then I could see a complaint.

Question for those who have been following cycling for a long time. What made Merckx so good? Did he have poor competition? Or was he just that much better than the riders of his time...?

Is the formula they use to calculate the total points for each cyclist explained, or is it kept hidden or vague to avoid argument on how its weighted?

azdroptop said:
Question for those who have been following cycling for a long time. What made Merckx so good? Did he have poor competition? Or was he just that much better than the riders of his time...?
Not to quibble over logic or get personal here, but those last two questions are not exactly mutually exclusive.

But I think everyone gets the gist. I just couldn't avoid being a smartass *****.:eek:

So getting back to azdroptop's question which I really can't answer, as I never saw him ride.

azdroptop said:
To answer your question, yes Lance doped. Just check out the positive urine tests.

azdroptop said:

I think a mixture of both, as always when someone dominates. However nobody can deny Merckx record, it is very good. If you look at Formula 1 for instance, Schumacher was by far the most talented for over a decade and would certainly be in the top 5 of all time, his competition however wasn't great over this time.......no Senna, no Prost or Mansell etc..

This is why comparing era's is so difficult, cycling has changed so much over the years, especially with the targeting of specific events. Merckx and Hinault are always going to stand out though.

ad9898 said:
This is why comparing era's is so difficult, cycling has changed so much over the years, especially with the targeting of specific events. Merckx and Hinault are always going to stand out though.

An era is an era............but.

Given that the level of opposition against both merckx and hinault are also named as part of the all time top 20.......their respective palmares is all the more special.

I'd go as far to suggest that Indurains opposition is significantly better than the level of opposition in the late 90's/early 2000's.

azdroptop said:

Short answer - Merckx is the greatest rider ever.

Statistically, Merckx palmares is several levels above his nearest statistical rival Bernard Hinault.
On a statistical level, therefore he's the greatest.

However further viewing of his opposition enhances the statistical evidence.
His immediate opposition, Poulidor, Gimondi, Moser, Ocana, Maartens, statistically have very compelling palmares of their own and are rated highly.

Break down the numbers again - and given the volume of racing which Merckx had to complete and given the quantity of wins as a proportion of those races, he competed in, the case for just how good Merckx was becomes even more compelling.

Breakdown the numbers further, any review of Merckx palmares in terms of statical wins obscures the facts that Merckx not only won races, he literally dominated races inw hich statistics alone cannot articulate.
For example, in the 1969 TDF he won several stages and won the race overall.
But in winning the race, he also won all of the classement jerseys in that single TDF.
His win count in terms of numbers of stages in the race shows he won the TDF in 1969.
What the statistics do not bear out - in statistical terms - is any increase to his palmares for winning the Points jersey for example.
In other words winning the points jersey, doesn't increase the number of statistical stage wins in that particualr race......but winning the points jersey,
as well as every other classement jersey, does add to the phenomenal performance of that TDF.
And when you weigh in all of the other classement jerseys, in all of the other GT's that Merckx won - and which are not reflected in pure statistical stage wins or races wins - then his record becomes even more compelling.

Merckx was the greatest ! We can only reduce a little his plamares because of less countries involved in pro-cycling and less teams in a race.
He was able to win big mountain stages, classics, TT and peloton sprints! Who can do that too?