Green Clique Targets M1 for 50 Limit

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Geller, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Simon Geller

    Simon Geller Guest

    As the association of British Drivers puts it:

    Green Clique Targets M1 for 50 Limit

    In the latest anti-car plot to be conjured up in Sheffield, the 'M1 Corridor

    Clean Air Partnership' (a clique consisting of Sheffield City Council,

    Rotherham council, several government agencies, bus companies, and greens)

    want to reduce the speed limit on the M1 through the city to 50mph. They

    claim this will reduce levels of Nitrogen Oxides (NOx). The Highway's Agency

    have expressed reservations about the proposal.

    See their website: M1 Corridor Clean Air Partnership

    http://www.m1airaction.com/

    unquote

    If you're in the "Green Clique" (or even if you're not)

    please go to the website concerned and give your views

    on whether the air quality in the Tinsley area - an "air quality action zone"

    should be improved by lowering the speed limit on the M1 in this area to

    50.

    Simon

    Tags:

  2. I don't think this would be an issue if the government got its finger out its arse (or out of
    taxpayers pockets) and forced everyone onto cleaner fuels like LPG.

    I'm also not convinsed that a 50 limit is right - IIRC 60 is closer to the optimum for lowest
    emmissions per vehicle mile (I can't find a source for this ATM, so I may be wrong)

    But this bit of motorway is in a city and people living in that city must be respected. Really, they
    should have built the M1 around Sheffield.

  3. Oh, and where have the ABD commented on this? They haven't on their website.

  4. Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> wrote
    > But this bit of motorway is in a city and people living in that city must
    be
    > respected. Really, they should have built the M1 around Sheffield.

    To be fair, when it was built it was all an industrial area. The steelmills have all since gone,
    and Sheffield and Rotherham are now busy filling in the gap that used to exist between them, where
    the M1 is.

  5. "Andrew Sweetman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> wrote
    > > But this bit of motorway is in a city and people living in that city
    must
    > be
    > > respected. Really, they should have built the M1 around Sheffield.
    > >

    > To be fair, when it was built it was all an industrial area. The
    steelmills
    > have all since gone, and Sheffield and Rotherham are now busy filling in
    the
    > gap that used to exist between them, where the M1 is.

    True. Perhaps the consideration should be made that if anyone in Tinsley is concerned about
    pollution, they should forget about the motorway, as it will be minor compared to the legacy of the
    industry that was once there.

  6. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Not surprised the Highways Agency is against it, £56m is being spent to strengthen the viaduct to
    allow all three lanes to be operational. The smell around there is appalling due to the sewage works

    "Simon Geller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As the association of British Drivers puts it:
    >
    > Green Clique Targets M1 for 50 Limit
    >

    > In the latest anti-car plot to be conjured up in Sheffield, the 'M1
    Corridor

    > Clean Air Partnership' (a clique consisting of Sheffield City Council,
    >
    > Rotherham council, several government agencies, bus companies, and greens)
    >
    > want to reduce the speed limit on the M1 through the city to 50mph. They
    >
    > claim this will reduce levels of Nitrogen Oxides (NOx). The Highway's
    Agency

    > have expressed reservations about the proposal.
    >
    > See their website: M1 Corridor Clean Air Partnership
    >
    > http://www.m1airaction.com/
    >
    > unquote
    >

    > If you're in the "Green Clique" (or even if you're not)
    >
    > please go to the website concerned and give your views
    >
    > on whether the air quality in the Tinsley area - an "air quality action zone"
    >
    > should be improved by lowering the speed limit on the M1 in this area to
    >
    > 50.
    >

    > Simon

  7. "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > But this bit of motorway is in a city and people living in that city must be respected. Really,
    > they should have built the M1 around Sheffield.

    For the most part they did, as it only skirts the eastern edge - presumably the lie of the land made
    construction easier, as the North Midland Railway did a similar thing in the 1840s, going from
    Chesterfield to Rotherham and avoiding Sheffield (and the need for tunnels and inclines) completely!

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  8. "Simon Geller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As the association of British Drivers puts it:
    >
    > Green Clique Targets M1 for 50 Limit
    >

    > In the latest anti-car plot to be conjured up in Sheffield, the 'M1
    Corridor

    > Clean Air Partnership' (a clique consisting of Sheffield City Council,
    >
    > Rotherham council, several government agencies, bus companies, and greens)
    >
    > want to reduce the speed limit on the M1 through the city to 50mph. They
    >
    > claim this will reduce levels of Nitrogen Oxides (NOx). The Highway's
    Agency

    > have expressed reservations about the proposal.
    >
    > See their website: M1 Corridor Clean Air Partnership
    >
    > http://www.m1airaction.com/
    >
    > unquote
    >

    > If you're in the "Green Clique" (or even if you're not)
    >
    > please go to the website concerned and give your views
    >
    > on whether the air quality in the Tinsley area - an "air quality action zone"
    >
    > should be improved by lowering the speed limit on the M1 in this area to
    >
    > 50.

    Actually, I've reviewed my opinion on this. As the ABD haven't made any PR on this as you claim, I
    can only assume the only way you can think of for people to support this scheme is to say a group
    which is (not unjustifiably) unpopular here is against it, instead of advertising the scheme on its
    own merits.

    I hope people can see through you