Green Mountain Stage Race.

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
I have never done it before. Race reports from my team mates at Fitchburg had me all worked up for doing a stage race. I have done back to back races. I could TT. I think my body can handle the stress and intensity load. But the race is held at high altitude. How much would that affect my fitness. I have heard that even with a 27th gear you would still have a hard time going up those climbs.

I've read some triathlete opinions on high altitude competitions and they said either spend 2 to 6 weeks in that environment before the race or show up 24 to 36 hours before the starting gun to minimize the effects.

BlueJersey said:
I have never done it before. Race reports from my team mates at Fitchburg had me all worked up for doing a stage race. I have done back to back races. I could TT. I think my body can handle the stress and intensity load. But the race is held at high altitude. How much would that affect my fitness. I have heard that even with a 27th gear you would still have a hard time going up those climbs.

GMSR is not at altitude. It is in Vermont.

Work towards doing 4 training days in a row, much like you would experience in a stage race.

A 27 is good, I needed a 29. If you like to spin, some roadies (the big ones) even consider a 32T on a MTB cassette.