Green Tea and blood glucose in T1...

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Jj, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Jj

    Jj Guest

    Hi all,

    I haven't posted here in a while I don't think...or not much. But I'm a regular lurker <grin>.

    I have a question for you guys regarding green tea and its effect on blood glucose readings for
    T1's. I recently started drinking just a little bit of green tea with a little bit of lemon and
    maybe some Equal or Splenda (please no debates on artifical sweetners here - I'm asking about the
    tea not the sweetners <smile>)...I've noticed that every time I have a small glass of the tea, my
    blood glucose goes WAY up!

    When this happened the first couple of times, I wasn't entirely sure it was the tea...but I've
    "tested" the tea now three times and it's definitely the tea. I have no trouble with the sweetners
    or adding the same lemon to anything else. Only the tea is different.

    Now, I got on the web and Googled this but only came up with sites that seem to suggest that green
    tea can [possibly] LOWER bg's - not raise them. Those sites may have been more geared to T2's? I'm
    not sure. What am I missing here? Does green tea do this to anyone else?

    I started to drink a little bit of green tea for its healthful properties (thought I'd give it a
    try). I read that it can somewhat "boost" your metabolism but don't necessarily believe that (you
    can't believe most of what is read/said <grin>). I've been feeling a bit sluggish and believe I'm
    "borderline" hypothyroid but that's a different issue. So, that's why I started to give the tea a
    try. I do have to admit that I feel a little better since drinking the tea but it's not worth the
    raised bg's.

    So, has anyone else noticed this? Thx in advance, JJ

    Tags:

  2. JJ, I've had Green Tea on occasion, and haven't noticed a rise in my sugars. (I'm T1.) Is it
    possible that you hadn't checked your sugars at time you are currently checking them? For example,
    you have your tea at 10:00, and then check your sugars at 10:30 and see a rise. Had you previously
    checked your sugars at 10:30? Or, is it possible that the boost in your metabolism has affected your
    spikes? I have no idea if upping metabolism raises sugars.

    Steph

    "JJ" <[email protected]hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I haven't posted here in a while I don't think...or not much. But I'm a regular lurker <grin>.
    >
    > I have a question for you guys regarding green tea and its effect on blood glucose readings for
    > T1's. I recently started drinking just a little bit of green tea with a little bit of lemon and
    > maybe some Equal or Splenda (please no debates on artifical sweetners here - I'm asking about the
    > tea not the sweetners <smile>)...I've noticed that every time I have a small glass of the tea, my
    > blood glucose goes WAY up!
    >
    > When this happened the first couple of times, I wasn't entirely sure it was the tea...but I've
    > "tested" the tea now three times and it's definitely the tea. I have no trouble with the sweetners
    > or adding the same lemon to anything else. Only the tea is different.
    >
    > Now, I got on the web and Googled this but only came up with sites that seem to suggest that green
    > tea can [possibly] LOWER bg's - not raise them. Those sites may have been more geared to T2's? I'm
    > not sure. What am I missing here? Does green tea do this to anyone else?
    >
    > I started to drink a little bit of green tea for its healthful properties (thought I'd give it a
    > try). I read that it can somewhat "boost" your metabolism but don't necessarily believe that (you
    > can't believe most of what is read/said <grin>). I've been feeling a bit sluggish and believe I'm
    > "borderline" hypothyroid but that's a different issue. So, that's why I started to give the tea a
    > try. I do have to admit that I feel a little better since drinking the tea but it's not worth the
    > raised bg's.
    >
    > So, has anyone else noticed this? Thx in advance, JJ

  3. Jj

    Jj Guest

    "Stephanie Kolban" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    Hi Stephanie,

    > I've had Green Tea on occasion, and haven't noticed a rise in my sugars. (I'm T1.) Is it possible
    > that you hadn't checked your sugars at time you are currently checking them? For example, you have
    > your tea at 10:00, and then check your sugars at 10:30 and see a rise. Had you previously checked
    > your sugars at 10:30? Or, is it possible that the boost in your metabolism has affected your
    > spikes? I have no idea if upping metabolism raises sugars.

    I test my bg's like 8-10 times a day and was testing at the same time after the same meal or no meal
    as usual. The only difference was the green tea. In fact, I tested to check what my bg was, drank my
    tea and checked later and WOW...way higher than it would normally have been. I'm pretty sure it's
    the tea but can't really imagine why.

    I don't know how valid that claim of boosting the metabolism is really...just read it somewhere and
    green tea is supposed to have other benefits so I thought I'd just have some. Didn't expect such an
    odd side-effect.

    Thanks for your reply! Take care, JJ

  4. Larry Evans

    Larry Evans Guest

    On 02/11/2004 11:13 AM, JJ wrote:
    > Hi all,
    [snip]
    > I started to drink a little bit of green tea for its
    > healthful properties (thought I'd give it a try). I read
    > that it can somewhat
    I did to, for that reason, and the coffee waw giving me
    hearburn. [snip]
    > but it's not worth the raised bg's.
    >
    > So, has anyone else noticed this? Thx in advance, JJ
    I can't tell any effect so far. I'm drinking lipton's green
    tea, and I drink several cups using two tea bags per cup.