Hi. I'd like to know if there is a relationship between the grade or quality of loose green tea to antioxdient activity.
A survey of the vast number of green tea brands available at a specialty store in Chinatown showed a considerable price range...the most expensive was around 3x the cheapest. I am told the price depends on the tea grade. The more expensive ones are said to have better taste and able to extract out more of it. I have had green teas that were nearly like water, and others that had a dark color and rich taste so yes there is a difference in taste.
But I don't care too much about the taste; I am only interested in the antioxident property.
Should I go with the higher priced ones that have more flavour because they also have higher antioxident level or just get the cheap one because all green teas have about the same amount of antioxident?
The situation is very complex and price is only a rough guide to potential antioxidant content. In general the taste of a tea has much to do with terrain, geography, water, climate, place picked on the bush, season of picking, etc. and what is done to the leaves after picking; and finally how it is brewed. The smaller upper first pickings are usually a higher grade and contain more antioxidant, so called "white" tea having the most. The latter is an immature leafe. final Grade and price is established by taste and all of the above is only a rough guide. I suggest you find a tea you like and can afford with the understanding that more of one having fewer antioxidants is equal to or greater then one having more for the same measure.
Quoted message said:
Hi. I'd like to know if there is a relationship between the grade or quality of loose green tea to antioxdient activity.
A survey of the vast number of green tea brands available at a specialty store in Chinatown showed a considerable price range...the most expensive was around 3x the cheapest. I am told the price depends on the tea grade. The more expensive ones are said to have better taste and able to extract out more of it. I have had green teas that were nearly like water, and others that had a dark color and rich taste so yes there is a difference in taste.
But I don't care too much about the taste; I am only interested in the antioxident property.
Should I go with the higher priced ones that have more flavour because they also have higher antioxident level or just get the cheap one because all green teas have about the same amount of antioxident?