Greenville SC Spring Training Series

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Arsenault, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. If there is anyone around here from the SE and might be wondering
    about the Greenville Spring Training Series, racing will begin this
    weekend despite the snow that fell yesterday. I got this message from
    promoter Rich Hincapie:

    Yes, please spread the word, I just returned from the course and all is fine - zero snow on the
    ground and temps will be in the 60's for the weekend, all is on as usual, hope you can make it

    Rich

    So if anyone was wondering, and or thinking about heading down to Greenville, SC this weekend to
    start their season, it's on.

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    "Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If there is anyone around here from the SE and might be wondering about the Greenville Spring
    > Training Series, racing will begin this weekend despite the snow that fell yesterday. I got this
    > message from promoter Rich Hincapie:
    >
    > Yes, please spread the word, I just returned from the course and all is fine - zero snow on the
    > ground and temps will be in the 60's for the weekend, all is on as usual, hope you can make it
    >
    > Rich
    >

    > So if anyone was wondering, and or thinking about heading down to Greenville, SC this weekend to
    > start their season, it's on.
    >
    > Tom

    OK ... now that you've heard from the promoter, how about these facts:

    a) it's still snowing right now in Greenville (10:00 a.m. Friday)
    b) no sun is forecast today and the temps shouldn't be out of the high 30s
    c) it will be well below freezing tonight. Everything will be wet and will re-freeze
    d) The Weather Channel's hour-by-hour forecast doesn't have it getting above freezing until
    sometime after 8:00 a.m. tomorrow morning -- about the same time the races start.
    e) It's NOT forecast to be in the 60s tomorrow. It's forecast to be 51 for a high ... and that will
    be late in the afternoon.

    Just FYI, Bob C.

  3. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    "Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If there is anyone around here from the SE and might be wondering about the Greenville Spring
    > Training Series, racing will begin this weekend despite the snow that fell yesterday. I got this
    > message from promoter Rich Hincapie:
    >
    > Yes, please spread the word, I just returned from the course and all is fine - zero snow on the
    > ground and temps will be in the 60's for the weekend, all is on as usual, hope you can make it
    >
    > Rich
    >

    > So if anyone was wondering, and or thinking about heading down to Greenville, SC this weekend to
    > start their season, it's on.
    >
    > Tom

    Just saw the Greenville weather report on their local news station. They're now forecasting a high
    of 48 Saturday after an overnight low of 27. So they've revised things downward.

  4. pedalchick

    pedalchick New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Don't be a wuss. Just go to the damn race.

  5. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    "pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:mkM%[email protected]...
    > Psycholist wrote:
    > > Just saw the Greenville weather report on their local news station. They're now forecasting a
    > > high of 48 Saturday after an overnight low
    of
    > > 27. So they've revised things downward.
    >

    > Don't be a wuss. Just go to the damn race.

    No thanks ... I've already got my five titanium screws plus assorted pins and wires holding my left
    leg together. I've come back from some pretty awful circumstances over the past year. I'd love to
    race tomorrow, but it would be just plain stupid.

    As for you ... be careful out there and good luck.

    Bob C.

  6. pedalchick

    pedalchick New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2003
    Hm. titanium, pins, wires. Sounds like you're well reinforced. I'd say you're good to go!

  7. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    "pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:z3T%[email protected]...
    > Psycholist wrote:
    > > "pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    %[email protected]:mkM%[email protected]
    > > .usenetserver.com...
    > > of
    > > >

    > > > Don't be a wuss. Just go to the damn race.
    > > >
    > > No thanks ... I've already got my five titanium screws plus assorted pins and wires holding my
    > > left leg together. I've come back from some pretty awful circumstances over the past year. I'd
    > > love to race tomorrow, but it would be just plain stupid. As for you ... be careful out there
    > > and good luck. Bob C.
    >

    > Hm. titanium, pins, wires. Sounds like you're well reinforced. I'd say you're good to go!

    Actually, that's true. The doc says the hip is probably stronger than it was before. But Donaldson
    is all right turns and I don't want to pick up a matched set. I'm old enough and wise enough to know
    my limitations. And with the luck I've had, I'll find the one little patch of black ice out there or
    the one little slick spot on the RR tracks.

  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    All right turns? As I recall there is just one turn. I do hope those RR tracks are better than I
    remember. That's a concern.

    CH

  9. [email protected] (chris) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > All right turns? As I recall there is just one turn. I do hope those RR tracks are better than I
    > remember. That's a concern.
    >
    > CH
    >
    > > Actually, that's true. The doc says the hip is probably stronger than it was before. But
    > > Donaldson is all right turns and I don't want to pick up a matched set. I'm old enough and wise
    > > enough to know my limitations. And with the luck I've had, I'll find the one little patch of
    > > black ice out there or the one little slick spot on the RR tracks.

    RR tracks down there are still a little rough, but rideable as always. Just pedal through. This
    weekend was great, the weather was in the 60's on Saturday, and near 70 on Sunday. Not even a hint
    of snow or ice around anywhere. Large turnout for the first weekend in almost all categories. It was
    a good weekend. Hopefully more of the same next weekend. The promoter was right on this time in his
    assessment of the course and the conditions. I don't think Rich would lie about such things, he's
    normally a pretty straight shooter.

    Tom