Greg LeMond Interview : Paul Kimmage

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by limerickman, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Some people just cannot get over the fact that Lemond has been proven right about everything he has said about doping--from widescale EPO use to Armstrong. I guess the rats should be quiet, eh, wolfix?

2. Richmond Roadie

Richmond Roadie New Member

This is where you are wrong and do not have a grasp of professional cycling at all and it's history. It is the sport of cycling that has sullied good riders...... Many of the riders entered the sport with good intentions. The sport of professional cycling has always been a "sullied sport." And every true fan knew it was dirty. And accepted it as it is or they moved on to another sport.

Hi Wolfix,
    It's too bad so many of us have accepted cheating as "OK" or inevitable. Competitors have a choice to make, ride clean or RUI (ride under the influence). I know it has always been so, I'm not naive at all. I just don't accept it and I won't move on to another sport. I love cycling, always have, always will. I think the drama is much more compelling when the athletes are clean.

It was the sport of cycling that has destroyed the reputation of the riders and most of them were good men...... They are the ones that have paid the price.
    Cycling has not....... As we are finding out...If you want to be a rider of fame, you go on with the program that cycling has institutionalized over the years since it's inception. Or you go sell comfort bikes to old ladies in the neighborhood bike store. You have no other choice.

Ah, but you always have a choice. You destroy your reputation when you choose to RUI. I believe one could choose to be a change agent and band together with other riders to clean up the sport, if one had the courage to do so.

When someone can show me where anyone involved in professional cycling throughout the years thought doping was immoral, then I will change my mind.

Out of curiosity, why would it take that to change your mind?

All this OP stuff will be history next year and the sport will revert back to what it always has been..... "A dirty little secret." And we will at least have a sport.

I hope it won't revert back. I hope there is significant change.

3. bobke

bobke New Member

Well I respect Lemond for going through what he did and sacrificing himself and his privacy for a good cause.
    But I dont think that his history of sexual abuse automatically makes him either believable or not believable about his insights.

It does provide some insight why he has tried to act like the caped crusader righting all the wrongs of the world, and why he caved in to those sh#thead frnch teammates and directors--when he shouldnt have-- who also abused him...probably the greatest talent ever on a bike next to Merckx.

Enough said,.

4. JohnO

JohnO New Member

I'm sure that another American supplanting him as the cycling legend over here had no influence on when he finally decided to speak out against doping in 2001. He didn't speak out in 1994, when he was fading, an event he later blamed on EPO. He didn't speak out in 1998, when Festina first showed how pervasive doping had become. Not until 2001, when LA matched his TDF wins and seemed well on his way to exceeding them.

He is probably right. But his timing reeks of self serviance and bitter grapes.

5. sopas

sopas New Member

I dont know, but I personally believe LeMond.

I bought his book (Greg LeMond and Ken Gordis) more than 10 years ago as it was the first document I found that really told you how and when to train and what to do to perform well. It made an easy read and I found his explanations very simple and honest. It was an inspiration for me at a time when Indurain was winning everything.

LeMond was probably the last champion who run clean.

The sport needs to start from scratch with a young unknown rider; a new apple from the tree and not a rotten one from the basket.

6. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

Cycling as a sport is doing fine. As a deceptive-marketed business model, it is in trouble.

If MLB, FIFA, NFL can fix events, dope and remain cool----commercial cycling will always find underwriting cash.

7. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Many of these riders were new apples...... but once the teams got a hold of them they were quickly made into applesauce and apple cider...... spiked with cinamon. MMMMmmmmm......Ahhhhhhh.

The only way the sport get get cleansed is by eliminating everyone from the riders to the team management. If that was done, there would be no one left to put on a race. Sponsors put money into proven DS's and teams/riders.

8. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Landis and his manager were at fault over this : LeMond told Landis about this sexual abuse in confidence.
    Landis and his scumbag manager decided to try to use this fact to try to intimidate LeMond.

I never suggested that his suffering sexual abuse - makes him a hero or that it makes his stance against doping more worthy.

9. Cipher

Cipher New Member

Greg and I actually had a discussion about this approx. 3 years ago while out on a ride through Loretto/Delano...

This 'confession' to Landis was more of an effort to help Floyd face his issues head on and out in the open rather than allow them to engulf him in the years to come...

10. Flyer

Flyer Banned

fgggh

11. Flyer

Flyer Banned

ddfgh

12. Flyer

Flyer Banned

kkkk