Greg LeMond Interview

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
A very interesting interview with Greg LeMond :

Greg expresses some very salient points.

http://www.competitorradio.com/shows/47Competitors-GregLeMond-08-22-06(1hr12min).mp3

limerickman said:

http://www.competitorradio.com/shows/47Competitors-GregLeMond-08-22-06(1hr12min).mp3
Thanks for the link, Lim. Very interesting stuff. It's clear from Greg’s comments that he believes doping became widespread and pervasive, post 1991-92, or so. In addition, he believes that the impact of this widespread doping is that mediocre riders were elevated to performance levels beyond (non-doping) champions. If his observations are correct, then it’s hard to believe there have been any clean champions since the early 90’s. If mediocre riders on sophisticated doping regimens can surpass non-doping champions, and you accept that at least some of the naturally gifted riders also resorted to doping, what chance would a clean rider have of winning anything under these circumstances?

fbircher said:
Thanks for the link, Lim. Very interesting stuff. It's clear from Greg’s comments that he believes doping became widespread and pervasive, post 1991-92, or so. In addition, he believes that the impact of this widespread doping is that mediocre riders were elevated to performance levels beyond (non-doping) champions. If his observations are correct, then it’s hard to believe there have been any clean champions since the early 90’s. If mediocre riders on sophisticated doping regimens can surpass non-doping champions, and you accept that at least some of the naturally gifted riders also resorted to doping, what chance would a clean rider have of winning anything under these circumstances?

Thanks Dave & FB.

That's a fair summary, FB.

Look at the 1989 TDF route - almost the exact same distance as the 2004 TDF in terms of physical distance and profile.

Greg won the 1989 TDF riding an average speed of 37kmph.
The 2004 TDF was won at an average speed of...........41Kmph.

That's 4kpmhs faster - for each and every kilometre covering the 3,600 kms in the 2004 TDF, compared to the 1989 TDF.

Hmmm, yeah I'd like to think that better equipment and training methods will gradually push the level up but it's kinda hard to account for such higher speeds based on "progress" alone. That's almost 11% faster!

Gregs era is not exactly ancient history you know...

Eagle of Toledo said:
Hmmm, yeah I'd like to think that better equipment and training methods will gradually push the level up but it's kinda hard to account for such higher speeds based on "progress" alone. That's almost 11% faster!

Gregs era is not exactly ancient history you know...
11% faster average speed, yes, but given that power increases as the cube of velocity, the actual power gain would be much greater than 11%. I have to agree that the specific power gain figures Greg cites in his interview - if correct - present a compelling argument that something more sigificant than training and equipment improvements has been going on for some time now.

Excellent interview; A few points - Why is he labelled a whinger and has sour grapes ? He spoke very intelligently, honestly with well presented facts and evidence from personal experience. Another point was that he mentioned about the psychological effect on rider like Tyler continues to lie and lie. He said that the real impact of that will be worse than the drugs taken. He mentioned that Ned Overend spoke LeMond about when he saw Tyler at the Hill Climb (forgotten name of it now). Ned mentioned that Tyler wasn’t the same. It looked like he was internalising something inside of him and he was the shade of the former man he was. He went to talk about Virenque - He said that his final admission set him free. If he continued to deny he wouldn't be where he is now. Taking drugs doesn't make you a bad person but just means you made a bad decision. LeMond’s admission about his son who rebelled against him started smoking but now at age 22 started riding and rode the etape last year on d'Huez. For the life of me I can't understand why the American posters think he is a whiner and has sour grapes ?

Another good point was about radios: He mentions that if radios were around in 89 Fignon would have won the Tour from the d’Huez stage. He said the 89 Tour wouldn’t have been as exciting with radios as the tactical element is taken from the rider.

limerickman said:

whiteboytrash said:
For the life of me I can't understand why the American posters think he is a whiner and has sour grapes ?

Another good point was about radios: He mentions that if radios were around in 89 Fignon would have won the Tour from the d’Huez stage. He said the 89 Tour wouldn’t have been as exciting with radios as the tactical element is taken from the rider.
This is the first time I have heard Greg speak without whining..... And I have been around him a few times in person. The first time I was near him he was a relatively unknown, but I remember my GF[later wife] saying something about him being a complainer.

I would think after the Insurance scandal, he went thru a PR training course to re-establish his rep.........

I think Greg's "whining" has to do with his frustration with being America's first winner of ther TDF and no one really knows what he did. [In the USA] So , in a way he is frustrated for the rest of us old time cycling guys who was laughed at for the funny clothes we wore.

I have to admit after the insurance scandal I lost some respect for a rider I had tons of respect for. But, on the bike he is , or was a truly great rider. And LA, Hincape, and others can thank him for pioneering the way for Americans in the Euro racing.

He was right on about the radios.

Very interesting interview. LeMond is very knowledgable about cycling, he seems to be up to date with training methods/tactics and he expresses himself well. Very good questions as well.

whiteboytrash said:
For the life of me I can't understand why the American posters think he is a whiner and has sour grapes ?

...................because they're f@@@@@@ idiots, most them.
They're not cycling fans.

whiteboytrash said:

Yes : radio communication between rider and car is a hinderance in this sport and radio ought to be banned.

limerickman said:
...................because they're f@@@@@@ idiots, most them.
They're not cycling fans.

Yes : radio communication between rider and car is a hinderance in this sport and radio ought to be banned.
It has nothing to do with American fans being idiots. Everyone thinks Greg got this rep because of the LA scandal....... Greg had this rep back in the 1980's before he even won a TDF...... The thing that started it was the famous TV coverage of him during the TDF when his DS ordered him to hold back and wait for Hinault....... He was actually crying to the TV cameras that he could win the TDF if it wasn't for "having to wait for Hinault."
Look at most of his interviews long ago and they all are about how "he" could have won more TDF's if it wasn't for ....... "Excuse of the day."
Or ....the interviews are all about " How Hinault betrayed me."
Or...... " the French treated Kathy and I so bad when we moved to Europe."
While these things are true..... American cycling fans got tired of hearing the same things over and over. The interview Lim posted was the first time I have ever heard him in the media discuss cycling in a positive light.
So Greg's rep as a whiner is well deserved.

wolfix said:
It has nothing to do with American fans being idiots.

Wolf - most of the comments posted by American members here, in respect of LeMond, are idiotic.

wolfix said:
It has nothing to do with American fans being idiots. Everyone thinks Greg got this rep because of the LA scandal....... Greg had this rep back in the 1980's before he even won a TDF...... The thing that started it was the famous TV coverage of him during the TDF when his DS ordered him to hold back and wait for Hinault....... He was actually crying to the TV cameras that he could win the TDF if it wasn't for "having to wait for Hinault."

Wolf, mate, I don't know what your history with LeMond is, but I've followed this sport since 1979 and I can tell you that throughout the extensive collection of interviews, articles, TV footage, of LeMond that he never "whinged" during his cycling career.

In addition, it is the general consensus that if LeMond had not been injured in 1987, that LeMond would have probably had an even better palmares.

I've never read or heard of any rider who competed against LeMond try to disparage him or his achievements or for the comments that he made while he was competing.

Your view of LeMond seems to be at odds with his rivals views, the cycling view expressed in publications like Cycling Weekly, Cycle Sport, Velo etc.

wolfix said:
the French treated Kathy and I so bad when we moved to Europe." So Greg's rep as a whiner is well deserved.
Sounds familiar..... LA loves to complain how bad the French are... he's not a whiner thou... he's a winner ! God help me ! Have you guys even been to France ? Have you guys ever tried to pick up a French woman... why do Americans' always interpret another nations culture and way of doing things as rude ? I followed LeMond through his entire career and he has never been as a whiner... of course the $28 Million a year marketing campaign from Armstrong may have something to do with being labelled a whinner... of course American's love of falling for the marketing campaign and not researching the facts for themselves.... you Trek loving, Nike heads can keep donating the Armstrong Inc. but in Europe they remember Hampston and LeMond way more than Armstrong... true cycling aficionados know who the best cyclists are....

No where did I ever say that Lemond was not a great cyclist. He was. My comments are directed at his "whining" only. I too believe he would have better results if not for the shooting accident.
I have followed his career from the beginning. I was involved in several events in the midwest part of the country when he was starting to be big news. I was on his wheel once during a junior race. {not for long}
But here in the states we heard over and over about his lack of winning more races. I am sure in Europe where the public is more educated towards cycling that his interviews were different.

That is why I said this was an excellent interview that you posted. He actually talked about the inside story of cycling. It was refreshing.

wolfix said:
No where did I ever say that Lemond was not a great cyclist. He was. My comments are directed at his "whining" only. I too believe he would have better results if not for the shooting accident.
I have followed his career from the beginning. I was involved in several events in the midwest part of the country when he was starting to be big news. I was on his wheel once during a junior race. {not for long}
But here in the states we heard over and over about his lack of winning more races. I am sure in Europe where the public is more educated towards cycling that his interviews were different.

That is why I said this was an excellent interview that you posted. He actually talked about the inside story of cycling. It was refreshing.

Well, the archives I have of Cycle Sport magazine, Cycling Weekly magazine and books on cycling dating going way back - contain mostly positive comment about Greg LeMond.

What is more telling (for me) is that I have never heard or read of any of his rivals saying anything adverse about LeMond.

You'd think that the French press would have taken a shot at him - given that he managed to the greatest rider that France has ever produced and the second greatest rider after Merckx, in their own national tour.
But French comment is mostly positive about LeMond.

limerickman said:
Well, the archives I have of Cycle Sport magazine, Cycling Weekly magazine and books on cycling dating going way back - contain mostly positive comment about Greg LeMond.

What is more telling (for me) is that I have never heard or read of any of his rivals saying anything adverse about LeMond.

You'd think that the French press would have taken a shot at him - given that he managed to the greatest rider that France has ever produced and the second greatest rider after Merckx, in their own national tour.
But French comment is mostly positive about LeMond.
Didn't Lemond call Merckx a cheat in the interview? Thought I heard him say something about Merckx using drugs.

I remember Fignon complaining about Lemond quite a bit.
Hinault didn't so much as complain as smear him.
But yeah, he was a reasonably popular rider with the cyclists and the press.

When Hinault won in 1985, I was the first one to complain! I wrote a letter to the editor that got published in Winning Magazine - see attached, hope that's legible. (edit - the attachment is legible if you save it as a .jpg and then enlarge it... after re-reading it just now, I'm astonished at my own prescience 21 years ago)

What bugs me about Greg's whining is so much of it has been after he's retired. That makes it sound like he's mainly concerned with his own status, not with cycling and its future.

"Hinault and Guimard screwed me" - that's acceptable whining.

"My brother in law shot me or else I would have won some more" - also acceptable.

"These guys today are faster than guys in my day therefore they must be cheats and their accomplishments are bogus; things were better and harder in the old days" - that's baby whining.

limerickman
Community Team
- Damn Lim, approaching a pretty impressive milestone. Be sure to make number 10,000 one of your usual insightful and sardonic yet cordial posts.