Greg LeMond - Inventor Extraordinaire

Kurgan Gringion

Guest
Check this out:

http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm

Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation 1980 Superlight frame 1981 Elevated seat position 1984
Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet 1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor
1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets 1987 Carbon fork 1989 Floating pedals, aero
handlebars 1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame 1992 Electronic shifting, down-loadable
bike computer

<snip>

That takes a lot of gall.

Greg and Al Gore invented the internet too, you forgot that.

(and don't forget blood boosting with Eddie)

What is the status of Greg's health? Might he be the next with a 'Thevenet' admission?

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Check this out:
>
> http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm
>
> Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation 1980 Superlight frame 1981 Elevated seat position 1984
> Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet 1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor
> 1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets 1987 Carbon fork 1989 Floating pedals, aero
> handlebars 1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame 1992 Electronic shifting,
> down-loadable bike computer

He forgot to mention Virtual TdF wins. And I wonder if he has rewritten his book so that it has him
telling Cyril Guimard about elevating the seat instead of the other way around.

NS

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Check this out:
>
> http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm
>
> Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation 1980 Superlight frame 1981 Elevated seat position 1984
> Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet 1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor
> 1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets 1987 Carbon fork 1989 Floating pedals, aero
> handlebars 1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame 1992 Electronic shifting,
> down-loadable bike computer

He forgot to mention Virtual TdF wins. And I wonder if he has rewritten his book so that it has him
telling Cyril Guimard about elevating the seat instead of the other way around.

NS

> Check this out:
>
> http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm
>
> Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation 1980 Superlight frame

Right

> 1981 Elevated seat position

Rentault team lab testing, 2 years before Greg got there

> 1984 Cycling computer

Maybe

>, aero bike,

Renault wind tunnel testing, 1982

> aero helmet

I don't know, but I doubt it

> 1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses,

Could be, him along with Phil Anderson

>heart rate monitor

Conconi and Moser got it from the Scandinavian skiiers

> 1986 Clipless pedals

Hinault, 1984-1985

, carbon frames,

Puegeot

Giro helmets

> 1987 Carbon fork

I don't know, but I doubt it

> 1989 Floating pedals

Credit goes to Hinault and the Time dude

, aero handlebars

Boone and tri-geeks

> 1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame

Duh

> 1992 Electronic shifting,

This is getting old

down-loadable bike computer

He probably does not even know that Koechlie was doing this from the time Greg won his first Tour

>Internet

Maybe

> <snip>
>

> That takes a lot of gall.

Indeed

> Check this out:
>
> http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm
>
> Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation 1980 Superlight frame

Right

> 1981 Elevated seat position

Rentault team lab testing, 2 years before Greg got there

> 1984 Cycling computer

Maybe

>, aero bike,

Renault wind tunnel testing, 1982

> aero helmet

I don't know, but I doubt it

> 1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses,

Could be, him along with Phil Anderson

>heart rate monitor

Conconi and Moser got it from the Scandinavian skiiers

> 1986 Clipless pedals

Hinault, 1984-1985

, carbon frames,

Puegeot

Giro helmets

> 1987 Carbon fork

I don't know, but I doubt it

> 1989 Floating pedals

Credit goes to Hinault and the Time dude

, aero handlebars

Boone and tri-geeks

> 1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame

Duh

> 1992 Electronic shifting,

This is getting old

down-loadable bike computer

He probably does not even know that Koechlie was doing this from the time Greg won his first Tour

>Internet

Maybe

> <snip>
>

> That takes a lot of gall.

Indeed

"never_doped" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Greg and Al Gore invented the internet too, you forgot that.
>
> (and don't forget blood boosting with Eddie)
>
> What is the status of Greg's health? Might he be the next with a 'Thevenet' admission?

Why? Everyone knew what was going on with Thevenet (and most of the Peugeots for that matter), so
his coming clean was hardly a surprise. I haven't heard any substantive rumours about Lemond, and
his collapse was hardly the same sort as Thevenet's...

Trolling?

TC

"never_doped" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Greg and Al Gore invented the internet too, you forgot that.
>
> (and don't forget blood boosting with Eddie)
>
> What is the status of Greg's health? Might he be the next with a 'Thevenet' admission?

Why? Everyone knew what was going on with Thevenet (and most of the Peugeots for that matter), so
his coming clean was hardly a surprise. I haven't heard any substantive rumours about Lemond, and
his collapse was hardly the same sort as Thevenet's...

Trolling?

TC

"never_doped" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Greg and Al Gore invented the internet too, you forgot that.
>
> (and don't forget blood boosting with Eddie)
>
> What is the status of Greg's health? Might he be the next with a 'Thevenet' admission?

Dumbass -

believe it or not, there are aspects of bike racing that don't have anything to do with drugs.

(like the post that you replied to)

Originally posted by Kurgan Gringion
"never_doped" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Greg and Al Gore invented the internet too, you forgot that.
>
> (and don't forget blood boosting with Eddie)
>
> What is the status of Greg's health? Might he be the next with a 'Thevenet' admission?

Dumbass -

believe it or not, there are aspects of bike racing that don't have anything to do with drugs.

(like the post that you replied to)

Never_Doped is a troll of the highest caliber. Yes, more of a troll then the Helmet Trolls. The man is bitter because he is a second rate bike rider who refused to dope. I applaud him for that. He now spends his days gathering evidence about doping and posting it here (and other bike message boards) as he tries to change a sport. When he posts about doping I am a kind enough man to entertain him and respond. As you say Kurgan he has now become a Dumbass (maybe your best use of the term ever) who wants to hijack every thread so that he can convince himself that he was a great bike rider.

Nev Shea wrote:

> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

>>Check this out:
>>
>>http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm
>>
>>Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation 1980 Superlight frame 1981 Elevated seat position 1984
>>Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet 1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor
>>1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets 1987 Carbon fork 1989 Floating pedals, aero
>>handlebars 1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame 1992 Electronic shifting,
>>down-loadable bike computer
>

> He forgot to mention Virtual TdF wins. And I wonder if he has rewritten his book so that it has
> him telling Cyril Guimard about elevating the seat instead of the other way around.
>

> NS

Greg was an early adopter of these innovations but not an innovator. I wonder if it occurred to them
to put EPO on this list too. "Nah, let's not talk about that one".

Bret

"Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nev Shea wrote:
>
> > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:
> >

> >>Check this out:
> >>
> >>http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm
> >>
> >>Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation 1980 Superlight frame 1981 Elevated seat position 1984
> >>Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet 1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate
> >>monitor 1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets 1987 Carbon fork 1989 Floating pedals,
> >>aero handlebars 1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame 1992 Electronic shifting,
> >>down-loadable bike computer
> >

> > He forgot to mention Virtual TdF wins. And I wonder if he has rewritten his book so that it has
> > him telling Cyril Guimard about elevating the seat instead of the other way around.
> >

> > NS
>
> Greg was an early adopter of these innovations but not an innovator. I wonder if it occurred to
> them to put EPO on this list too. "Nah, let's not talk about that one".
>
> Bret

It was the iron injection toward the end of the 1989 Giro that got him on the road to Tour winning
form. You believe that, don't you?

Your point is well taken. Lemond did seek out innovations and use them at a time when it was much
frowned upon in a very traditionalist sport. I can still hear Lou Maltese telling us one hot
Sunday morning before a road race at Old Westbury, to forget about a waterbottle and just put a
couple of pebbles in our mouths to stimulate saliva flow. For years, TdF racers were significantly
dehydrated due to failure to ingest enough fluids. Times change and Lemond did much to change them
in pro cycling--especially increased salaries.

> It was the iron injection toward the end of the 1989 Giro that got him
on
> the road to Tour winning form. You believe that, don't you?
>
> Your point is well taken. Lemond did seek out innovations and use them
at
> a time when it was much frowned upon in a very traditionalist sport. I
can
> still hear Lou Maltese telling us one hot Sunday morning before a road
race
> at Old Westbury, to forget about a waterbottle and just put a couple of pebbles in our mouths to
> stimulate saliva flow. For years, TdF racers were significantly dehydrated due to failure to
> ingest enough fluids. Times change and Lemond did much to change them in pro cycling--especially
> increased salaries.

Lemond was an innovator, I'll agree with that, but the list on that website is exaggeration of the
highest order.

Sort of like the virtual 4 TdF victories. The man seems incapable of resting on his laurels
gracefully.

> > It was the iron injection toward the end of the 1989 Giro that got him
> on
> > the road to Tour winning form. You believe that, don't you?
> >
> > Your point is well taken. Lemond did seek out innovations and use
them
> at
> > a time when it was much frowned upon in a very traditionalist sport. I
> can
> > still hear Lou Maltese telling us one hot Sunday morning before a road
> race
> > at Old Westbury, to forget about a waterbottle and just put a couple of pebbles in our mouths to
> > stimulate saliva flow. For years, TdF racers
were
> > significantly dehydrated due to failure to ingest enough fluids. Times change and Lemond did
> > much to change them in pro cycling--especially increased salaries.
>

> Lemond was an innovator, I'll agree with that, but the list on that
website
> is exaggeration of the highest order.
>
> Sort of like the virtual 4 TdF victories. The man seems incapable of
resting
> on his laurels gracefully.

In the advertising industry it's called "puffing." There is a fine line
where it becomes false advertising. There is a lot of puff on Lemond's site.

As for virtual tour winners, I think Jan should be creditied with 1998. If Pantani ever comes
clean, lets see it Leblanc has the balls to strip Pantani of his title, a la Garin.

Nev Shea <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Check this out:
> >
> > http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm
> >
> > Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation 1980 Superlight frame
depends on you define superlight. Bernard Hinault used a 753 frame & Luciene Van Impe used a
composite frame.
> > 1981 Elevated seat position
Invented by Cyrille Guimard
> > 1984 Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet
First used by Bernard Hinault, invented by Gitane
> > 1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor
First used by Francesco Moser?. Pioneeered by Conconni
> > 1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets
Invented by Cinelli, perfected Look pedal suugested by Bernard Hinault
> > 1987 Carbon fork 1989 Floating pedals, aero handlebars 1991 Road racing suspension fork,
> > titanium frame
Titanium Frame before Lemond Teledyne Titan or before Lemond.
> > 1992 Electronic shifting, down-loadable bike computer
First introduced by Mavic ZAP shifting

What strange is why Lemond failed to mention the use Tri bar extensions. This the only one he first
pioneered.

> He forgot to mention Virtual TdF wins. And I wonder if he has rewritten his book so that it has
> him telling Cyril Guimard about elevating the seat instead of the other way around.
>

> NS

">
> Never_Doped is a troll of the highest caliber. Yes, more of a troll then the Helmet Trolls. The
> man is bitter because he is a second rate bike rider who refused to dope. I applaud him for that.
> He now spends his days gathering evidence about doping and posting it here (and other bike message
> boards) as he tries to change a sport. When he posts about doping I am a kind enough man to
> entertain him and respond. As you say Kurgan he has now become a Dumbass (maybe your best use of
> the term ever) who wants to hijack every thread so that he can convince himself that he was a
> great bike rider.

So LeMond was a doper too. I thought he was one of the few, that
didn't. But he did win, so it's logical that he would have been one also.

> Lemond was an innovator, I'll agree with that, but the list on that
website
> is exaggeration of the highest order.
>
> Sort of like the virtual 4 TdF victories. The man seems incapable of
resting
> on his laurels gracefully.

Only four? In an interview with a dutch newspaper he told he considered himself also as the virtual
winner of the Tour's of 1997 and 1998. So that makes six.

Benjo Maso

> As for virtual tour winners, I think Jan should be creditied with
1998.
> If Pantani ever comes clean, lets see it Leblanc has the balls to strip Pantani of his title, a
> la Garin.

People are smart. They say: have Pantani and Ullrich ever tested positive during the Tour of 1998?
No. Have Pantani and Ullrich been tested? A lot.

Benjo Maso

> In the advertising industry it's called "puffing." There is a fine
line
> where it becomes false advertising. There is a lot of puff on Lemond's
site.

I'd say some of those items cross the line, namely:

superlightweight frame elevated seat position aero bike floating pedals titanium frame

Those are just the ones I'm sure about. Some of the others may be pure hyperbole also.

With all that's on his list you'd think he was the second coming of Tulio Campagnolo.

"benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > As for virtual tour winners, I think Jan should be creditied with
> 1998.
> > If Pantani ever comes clean, lets see it Leblanc has the balls to strip Pantani of his title, a
> > la Garin.
>

> People are smart. They say: have Pantani and Ullrich ever tested positive during the Tour of 1998?
> No. Have Pantani and Ullrich been tested? A lot.
>
> Benjo Maso

Which is why Pantani would have to come clean voluntarily ( like Raskolnikov) of be pressured into
it like Virenque was. I'm not holding my breath.