Greg LeMond - Inventor Extraordinaire

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> What strange is why Lemond failed to mention the use Tri bar extensions. This the only one he
>> first pioneered.
>
> The first cyclists to use them in high-level bike racing were members of the 7-Eleven team in the
> Tour du Pont or Tour de Trump in 1989 -- where I think one of them used them to win the overall.
> LeMond was there, saw them, and decided to use them.

Also Chiappuchi used them in the Giro or Vuelta the same year, before Lemond used them in the Tdf.
Of course Chiappuchi didn't win, so it wasn't remarkable.

--
Dominic Richens | [email protected] "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Kurgan Gringioni wrote in message ...

>"CrankBreaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>> I am not a master of the English language but I don't see the words Invented or Patented or
>> Architected or Built or Developed or Pooped outta his large imagination. I do see "Legacy of
>> Racing innovation" which works for me as LeMond used a lot of gear in the Euro peloton before
>> anyone else of import and due to his stature this led to rapid advancements that were adopted a
>> peloton trying to figure out how to beat LeMond. He was an early and enthusiastic adopter of
>> technology and techniques that the Euro community not only may have taken years to adopt but may
>> have never adopted. Took an outsider to do it and he did it, kudos to him for shaking the tree.
>> My gripe is that he didn't list ice cream (his biggest contribution to the Peloton) or decent
>> living wages as some of his contributions.
>

>Dumbass -
>
>He was not the first to use some of that stuff, like "superlightweight frame" or "elevated seat
>position".

He was the most successful early adapter, dumbo.

"Lewis Panama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Kurgan Gringioni wrote in message ...
> >
> >"CrankBreaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >

> >> I am not a master of the English language but I don't see the words Invented or Patented or
> >> Architected or Built or Developed or Pooped outta his large imagination. I do see "Legacy of
> >> Racing innovation" which works for me as LeMond used a lot of gear in the Euro peloton before
> >> anyone else of import and due to his stature this led to rapid advancements that were adopted a
> >> peloton trying to figure out how to beat LeMond. He was an early and enthusiastic adopter of
> >> technology and techniques that the Euro community not only may have taken years to adopt but
> >> may have never adopted. Took an outsider to do it and he did it, kudos to him for shaking the
> >> tree. My gripe is that he didn't list ice cream (his biggest contribution to the Peloton) or
> >> decent living wages as some of his contributions.
> >

> >Dumbass -
> >
> >He was not the first to use some of that stuff, like "superlightweight frame" or "elevated seat
> >position".
>
> He was the most successful early adapter, dumbo.

Dumbass -

Merckx used a 12 lb. bike for his hour record.

Lemond's seat position was taught to him by Guimard, or so it says in Lemond's book.

"Dominic Richens" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> >> What strange is why Lemond failed to mention the use Tri bar extensions. This the only one he
> >> first pioneered.
> >
> > The first cyclists to use them in high-level bike racing were members of the 7-Eleven team in
> > the Tour du Pont or Tour de Trump in 1989 --

Correct. IIRC, Dag Otto Lauritzen won the overall and did use them in the final ITT. I don't recall
if that edition had a TTT. There are only a few, if any of those items cited where Lemond was truly
*the first*. He probably did assist the marketing of quite a bit of that stuff since his endorsement
did go a long way.

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Correct. IIRC, Dag Otto Lauritzen won the overall and did use them in the final ITT.

But didn't Vanderaerden 'virtually' win it except for a wrong turn during the TT?

> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Correct. IIRC, Dag Otto Lauritzen won the overall and did use them in
the
> > final ITT.
>
> But didn't Vanderaerden 'virtually' win it except for a wrong turn during the TT?

That sounds vaguely familiar but I do not remember the details. IIRC, the dude that went off course
was close to winning but not close enough to clearly claim the loss was due entirely to the mishap.