Greg LeMond - Inventor Extraordinaire

> "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >

> > > As for virtual tour winners, I think Jan should be creditied with
> > 1998.
> > > If Pantani ever comes clean, lets see it Leblanc has the balls to
strip
> > > Pantani of his title, a la Garin.
> >

> > People are smart. They say: have Pantani and Ullrich ever tested
positive
> > during the Tour of 1998? No. Have Pantani and Ullrich been tested? A
lot.

> > Benjo Maso
>
> Which is why Pantani would have to come clean voluntarily ( like Raskolnikov) of be pressured into
> it like Virenque was. I'm not holding
my
> breath.

Don't you think that Ullrich should have to come clearly as well?

Benjo Maso

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> What strange is why Lemond failed to mention the use Tri bar extensions. This the only one he
> first pioneered.

The first cyclists to use them in high-level bike racing were members of the 7-Eleven team in the
Tour du Pont or Tour de Trump in 1989 -- where I think one of them used them to win the overall.
LeMond was there, saw them, and decided to use them.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

> Only four? In an interview with a dutch newspaper he told he considered himself also as the
> virtual winner of the Tour's of 1997 and 1998. So that makes six.

So if LeMond has 6 virtual TDF wins, that makes Armstrong 1 shy of Greg.

I don't think we should take Lemond's page literally (I hope not, anyway). I believe Greg is making
the point that he was the first rider to not just invent these (because he didn't), but he was the
first to readily try new technologies. If nothing else, he helped to speed up cycling's
modernization. Having said that, here's my $0.02

> > Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation 1980 Superlight frame

What exactly is Superlight frame?

> > 1981 Elevated seat position

I don't think so...Lemond acknowledges Guimard for revising his position.

> > 1984 Cycling computer
Maybe

> >, aero bike,

Doubtful

> > aero helmet

Not

> > 1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses,
I could see this...

> >heart rate monitor

HR monitors were pre-Lemond for sure. Perhaps he was the first big star (bigger than Moser, at
least) to embrace them.

> > 1986 Clipless pedals

Not

> , carbon frames,

Man, Greg is going overboard here...

> Giro helmets

He definately helped them make a big leap. When Lemond won the '89 Tour, everyone I knew wanted a
giro helmet.

> > 1987 Carbon fork

Greg was probably the first big star to embrace these as well, though, I've heard those old TVT
forks flexed more than body builder on stage.

> > 1989 Floating pedals

Time

Aero handlebars

Again, Lemond used this stuff to great effect (and fame), but I believe Profile had the first modern
clip on. They somehow got scooped by Scott on the patent. Anyway, Julich was using these in the Tour
de Trump in '89 and Lemond wasn't.

WAIT! So Bobby Julich is the innovator here...maybe not.

> > 1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame

And whens the last time someone has one a major race using one of these?

> > 1992 Electronic shifting,

What?

> down-loadable bike computer

> He probably does not even know that Koechlie was doing this from the time Greg won his first Tour

Yeah, I think Kurgan is on here. Having met Paul, I can say he has data going back to the 70's!
Sorry Greg, your old mentor scooped you.

So, perhaps in a few more years Lemond will admit to inventing the internet...but for now he has his
hands full with cycling history...

CH

"benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > 1998.
> strip
> > >

> > > People are smart. They say: have Pantani and Ullrich ever tested
> positive
> > > during the Tour of 1998? No. Have Pantani and Ullrich been tested? A
> lot.
> > >
> > > Benjo Maso
> >
> > Which is why Pantani would have to come clean voluntarily ( like Raskolnikov) of be pressured
> > into it like Virenque was. I'm not holding
> my
> > breath.
>
> Don't you think that Ullrich should have to come clearly as well?
>
> Benjo Maso

Why?! Jan doesn't use drugs any more than Armstrong does. ;-)

> > In the advertising industry it's called "puffing." There is a fine
> line
> > where it becomes false advertising. There is a lot of puff on Lemond's
> site.
>

> I'd say some of those items cross the line, namely:
>

> superlightweight frame elevated seat position aero bike floating pedals titanium frame

There is one way to find out. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission for false and
deceptive advertising.

> Those are just the ones I'm sure about. Some of the others may be pure hyperbole also.
>
> With all that's on his list you'd think he was the second coming of Tulio Campagnolo.

Lets hope not. Tullio thought index shifting was a passing fad and put Campy behind Shimano
for years.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Check this out:
>
> http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm
>
> Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation 1980 Superlight frame 1981 Elevated seat position 1984
> Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet 1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor
> 1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets 1987 Carbon fork 1989 Floating pedals, aero
> handlebars 1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame 1992 Electronic shifting,
> down-loadable bike computer
>

> <snip>
>

> That takes a lot of gall.

I am not a master of the English language but I don't see the words Invented or Patented or
Architected or Built or Developed or Pooped outta his large imagination. I do see "Legacy of Racing
innovation" which works for me as LeMond used a lot of gear in the Euro peloton before anyone else
of import and due to his stature this led to rapid advancements that were adopted a peloton trying
to figure out how to beat LeMond. He was an early and enthusiastic adopter of technology and
techniques that the Euro community not only may have taken years to adopt but may have never
adopted. Took an outsider to do it and he did it, kudos to him for shaking the tree. My gripe is
that he didn't list ice cream (his biggest contribution to the Peloton) or decent living wages as
some of his contributions.

"CrankBreaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Check this out:
> >
> > http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm
> >
> > Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation 1980 Superlight frame 1981 Elevated seat position 1984
> > Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet 1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate
> > monitor 1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets 1987 Carbon fork 1989 Floating pedals,
> > aero handlebars 1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame 1992 Electronic shifting,
> > down-loadable bike computer
> >

> > <snip>
> >

> > That takes a lot of gall.
> >

> I am not a master of the English language but I don't see the words Invented or Patented or
> Architected or Built or Developed or Pooped outta his large imagination. I do see "Legacy of
> Racing innovation" which works for me as LeMond used a lot of gear in the Euro peloton before
> anyone else of import and due to his stature this led to rapid advancements that were adopted a
> peloton trying to figure out how to beat LeMond. He was an early and enthusiastic adopter of
> technology and techniques that the Euro community not only may have taken years to adopt but may
> have never adopted. Took an outsider to do it and he did it, kudos to him for shaking the tree. My
> gripe is that he didn't list ice cream (his biggest contribution to the Peloton) or decent living
> wages as some of his contributions.

Nor does he list the subtle cuisine of Taco Bell. :)

Originally posted by B. Lafferty

> With all that's on his list you'd think he was the second coming of Tulio Campagnolo.

Lets hope not. Tullio thought index shifting was a passing fad and put Campy behind Shimano
for years. [/B]

Tullio died in 1983. Shimano didn't introduce index shifting for another 2-3 years.

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 14:30:45 +0000 (UTC), CrankBreaker <[email protected]> wrote:

>"K I am not a master of the English language but I don't see the words Invented or Patented or
>Architected or Built or Developed or Pooped outta his large imagination. I do see "Legacy of
>Racing innovation" which works for me as LeMond used a lot of gear in the Euro peloton before
>anyone else of import and due to his stature this led to rapid advancements that were adopted a
>peloton trying to figure out how to beat LeMond. He was an early and enthusiastic adopter of
>technology and techniques that the Euro community not only may have taken years to adopt but may
>have never adopted.

Well said (even if not masterful). :) That's the way I took it.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary Never Forget:
http://www.politicsandprotest.org

On 8/9/03 9:53 AM, in article [email protected], "Carl Sundquist"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> B. Lafferty wrote:
>>>
>>> With all that's on his list you'd think he was the second coming of Tulio Campagnolo.
>> Lets hope not. Tullio thought index shifting was a passing fad and put Campy behind Shimano
>> for years.
>

> Tullio died in 1983. Shimano didn't introduce index shifting for another 2-3 years.

Suntour introduced 5-speed "click" shifting in 1969.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/standard.xml?vpID=27

Shimano introduced their Positron index shifting in 1977, and Suntour introduced the Mighty Click
rear derailleur in 1980.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/page35.htm

Shimano didn't POPULARIZE index shifting until they introduced SIS with the 1985 Dura Ace group.

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> B. Lafferty wrote:
> > >
> > > With all that's on his list you'd think he was the second coming of Tulio Campagnolo.
> > Lets hope not. Tullio thought index shifting was a passing fad and put Campy behind
> > Shimano for years.
>

> Tullio died in 1983. Shimano didn't introduce index shifting for another 2-3 years.

Actually index shifting was invented by Simplex almost ten years before Shimano. What is strange
they never came out with a product. Simplex had good products but for some reason they were hung up
on using plastic parts in their derailurs.

> "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > What strange is why Lemond failed to mention the use Tri bar extensions. This the only one he
> > first pioneered.
>
> The first cyclists to use them in high-level bike racing were members of the 7-Eleven team in the
> Tour du Pont or Tour de Trump in 1989 -- where I think one of them used them to win the overall.
> LeMond was there, saw them, and decided to use them.

IIRC, the US TTT squad used them in the '88 Olympics.

"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BB5AC64C.A74D%[email protected]...
> On 8/9/03 9:53 AM, in article [email protected], "Carl Sundquist"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Lets hope not. Tullio thought index shifting was a passing fad and put Campy behind Shimano
> >> for years.
> >

> > Tullio died in 1983. Shimano didn't introduce index shifting for another 2-3 years.
>

> Suntour introduced 5-speed "click" shifting in 1969.
>
> http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/standard.xml?vpID=27
>
> Shimano introduced their Positron index shifting in 1977, and Suntour introduced the Mighty Click
> rear derailleur in 1980.
>
> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/page35.htm
>
> Shimano didn't POPULARIZE index shifting until they introduced SIS with
the
> 1985 Dura Ace group.

Oops.

However (in a weak effort to save face) didn't Positron require that weird Front Freewheel System?
The crank/bb contained the freewheel and you really could shift while you were coasting because the
rear cogs were fixed to the hub and the chainrings ratcheted around the crankset.

Anyway, thanks for the historical correction Steven.

"CrankBreaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I am not a master of the English language but I don't see the words Invented or Patented or
> Architected or Built or Developed or Pooped outta his large imagination. I do see "Legacy of
> Racing innovation" which works for me as LeMond used a lot of gear in the Euro peloton before
> anyone else of import and due to his stature this led to rapid advancements that were adopted a
> peloton trying to figure out how to beat LeMond. He was an early and enthusiastic adopter of
> technology and techniques that the Euro community not only may have taken years to adopt but may
> have never adopted. Took an outsider to do it and he did it, kudos to him for shaking the tree. My
> gripe is that he didn't list ice cream (his biggest contribution to the Peloton) or decent living
> wages as some of his contributions.

Dumbass -

He was not the first to use some of that stuff, like "superlightweight frame" or "elevated seat
position".

Too bad he was not allowed to strap a motor to his fat ass during the latter part of his career. He
may have won a couple more tours.

> Check this out:
>
> http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm
>
> Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation 1980 Superlight frame 1981 Elevated seat position 1984
> Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet 1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor
> 1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets 1987 Carbon fork 1989 Floating pedals, aero
> handlebars 1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame 1992 Electronic shifting,
> down-loadable bike computer
>

> <snip>
>

> That takes a lot of gall.

The mind tends to repaint history in a way that allows us to view ourselves in the most favorable light. We all become more signifigant in the twilight and as long as there is an audience.

Kurgan, there is very little that doesn't have to do with doping in this sport or any sport if you pull your head out of the sand or your ass or where ever it happens to be today. The crotch of a dingo on the set of "Australian Farmlove 4"?

You are very cruel.

news:[email protected]...

"never_doped" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The mind tends to repaint history in a way that allows us to view ourselves in the most favorable
> light. We all become more signifigant in the twilight and as long as there is an audience.
>
> Kurgan, there is very little that doesn't have to do with doping in this sport or any sport if you
> pull your head out of the sand or your ass or where ever it happens to be today. The crotch of a
> dingo on the set of "Australian Farmlove 4"?

Not every single thread is a doping thread.

Sorry, but I was always a big fan of GL but got a bit tired of all his excuses he made during the
latter part of his career when it was obvious his problems was added kilos.