Greg Lemond praises "clean" Landis

wvrun

Jul 18, 2006
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/24/060724191235.mmwevu5p.html

"American cycling legend Greg Lemond hailed compatriot Floyd Landis's victory in the Tour de France, describing this year's edition of the race as "the best of all time.". Lemond, a three-time Tour winner with victories in 1986, 1989 and 1990, said the drugs scandal which saw dozens of riders kicked out of the peloton before the race began had levelled the field and allowed a "clean" Landis to win.

"It was an incredible Tour," said Lemond. "The best of all time. It was like the 1980s where you had different guys dominating on different days. We haven't seen that sort of competition for years."

Lemond congratulated Tour organisers on their decision to bar teams implicated in the Spanish drug scandal from the race.

Among the riders to be prevented from taking part were Germany's Jan Ullrich and Italy's Ivan Basso, two of the riders among the favourites for the crown.

"I'm happy that Ullrich and Basso weren't allowed in," Lemond said. "Suddenly the guys in the background, guys who were probably doubting their own ability to be competitive, were able to come to the fore. That's very encouraging," he said.

Lemond had nothing but praise for Landis, the surprise winner of tour's yellow jersey. "He was one of my favourites before the race. He's clean and what's more, he's a great guy," he added."

Nice comments from Greg about Floyd, although it sounds to me like he's still bashing LA in a not so subtle way.

Clean?

How the hell does LeMond know?

I'm not saying Landis is a doper, but I'm not saying he's clean either.

wvrun said:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/24/060724191235.mmwevu5p.html

"American cycling legend Greg Lemond hailed compatriot Floyd Landis's victory in the Tour de France, describing this year's edition of the race as "the best of all time.". Lemond, a three-time Tour winner with victories in 1986, 1989 and 1990, said the drugs scandal which saw dozens of riders kicked out of the peloton before the race began had levelled the field and allowed a "clean" Landis to win.

"It was an incredible Tour," said Lemond. "The best of all time. It was like the 1980s where you had different guys dominating on different days. We haven't seen that sort of competition for years."

Lemond congratulated Tour organisers on their decision to bar teams implicated in the Spanish drug scandal from the race.

Among the riders to be prevented from taking part were Germany's Jan Ullrich and Italy's Ivan Basso, two of the riders among the favourites for the crown.

"I'm happy that Ullrich and Basso weren't allowed in," Lemond said. "Suddenly the guys in the background, guys who were probably doubting their own ability to be competitive, were able to come to the fore. That's very encouraging," he said.

Lemond had nothing but praise for Landis, the surprise winner of tour's yellow jersey. "He was one of my favourites before the race. He's clean and what's more, he's a great guy," he added."

Nice comments from Greg about Floyd, although it sounds to me like he's still bashing LA in a not so subtle way.
I don't see that in this particular case. He specifically names Basso/Ullrich, but says nothing about past races or riders except a general reference to the competitiveness of this year's edition of the TdF. I've taken issue with Lemond's baseless rumormongering in the past, but from the comments you posted, I'm actually surprised how Lemond seems to have gone out of his way to not refer to Armstrong either directly or by implication.

wvrun said:

I guess he didn't bother to read the description of what actually happened. Or maybe BrietBart screwed up what he actually said, since this isn't a quote.

No riders were barred by the Tour organizers.

OK, I almost posted this as a joke a couple of days ago...along the lines of when are people going to start piling on and when does Lemond shoot his mouth off.
I mean its a small club so no comments form Greg would be weird but just congrats and no comments aobut the riders not there does more justice to Floyd.
But in the end these are positive comments from Greg, I just think less would have been more.

Lemond is a moron.

By the way how tall is this guy? I saw him in person once at a hunting show...the guy is SO SMALL.

Lemond is looney. His Landis is clean remarks are just his way of trying to get Armstong's goat again. Let it go Gregg, let it go.

having to watch all these stupid bits about lemond was bothering me until i put my finger on who he reminds me of. old lemond has become john ritter.

Keep bringing it, Lemond. You have to be doing something right if you can get the Armstrong butt kissers up in arms.

Bro Deal said:
Keep bringing it, Lemond. You have to be doing something right if you can get the Armstrong butt kissers up in arms.

Where is LA mentioned? Oh yea, no where. Move on.

steve26 said:
Lemond is a moron.

By the way how tall is this guy? I saw him in person once at a hunting show...the guy is SO SMALL.

He's about 5'11". Were you up at the Game Fair, in Anoka at the Armstrong Ranch Kennels? (Greg, Jeff Bradley my brother-in-law and myself along with our wives went to it once back in the mid 90's).

To tell you the truth, I've known him now for approximately 17 yrs, and he's really a great guy...

Jäger said:
To tell you the truth, I've known him now for approximately 17 yrs, and he's really a great guy...
Nope. He bad mouthed Armstrong. He is the enemy. It is the job of every Lance fan to go forth across the Internet and trash Lemond. The fact that Lemond was ultimately proven right about Armstrong just makes his offense even worse.

I guess Lemond is one of those riders who doesn't wear a helmet. Too many bumps on the head.....

It irritates me that LeMond has no clue whether Landis doped or not. He just didn't get caught so that automatically jumps to the conclusion that he didn't dope? I don't think so. Not in my opinion. It was a European drug search. Therefore they wouldn't find any Americans. Why does LeMond do dumb things? Not a huge fan of the first American TdF champ.

Bro Deal said:
Nope. He bad mouthed Armstrong. He is the enemy. It is the job of every Lance fan to go forth across the Internet and trash Lemond. The fact that Lemond was ultimately proven right about Armstrong just makes his offense even worse.

Don't forget that "Lemond" sounds French.

rudycyclist said:
(Landis) just didn't get caught so that automatically jumps to the conclusion that he didn't dope? I don't think so. Not in my opinion. It was a European drug search. Therefore they wouldn't find any Americans.

Tyler Hamilton aside, I guess if it were an Italian investigation, it might have turned up... dare I utter his name or might I too lose my job?