Greg Lemond speaks out re: Doped Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2007
Greg Lemond does charity event rides too (Amercian Diabetes Association), but unlike Lance Armstrong, Lemond has relevant suggestions on how to proceed forward to save a doped sport. Armstrong's solution has been to deny, harass, bully, threaten, go on Larry King, dodge, sue, abandon, cut loose, quit, and to cut and run whilst collecting Nike overrides.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/aug/25/lemond-upbeat-about-cyclings-future/

Greg claims to have recommended to Christian Prudhomme that the ASO get a divorce with the discredited UCI when asked at last month's Tour.

More brutal honestly by Grand Champion Greg Lemond, via the Denver Post:
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_6727367

Lemond takes aim at the ubiquitous doping in pro cycling. Cycling is getting what it deserves. Greg directly goes after the FFF propaganda, Landis and Hamilton's empty pleas of innocence.

Insofar as Vaughter's Slipstream and Riis's CSC, Lemomnd says that it's anti-doping results better be 100% transparent because Teams have already been self-testing for 15 years on HOW TO GET AWAY WITH DOPING.

Go get em Greg!

If only Wall Street had a Greg Lemond (Elliot Spitzer) ---then CDOs w/o underwriting would not require a central banking bailout cover story.

thoughtforfood said:
Maybe Greg Lemond needs to shut the **** up and quit being a media *****???
What an intelligent suggestion. Yes, lets shut up the people who are willing to speak out against doping in sport. FOOL!

I've no insight into his motivation but the fact remains that he is the only GT winner who unequivocally denounces all those who are complicit in doping. Equally, I have no idea whether this makes him a hypocrite but, regardless, his stance should be welcomed and applauded. The sport might be in a healthier state if more were like him. Remember how most of us have condemned the notorious 'omerta'-well he, at least, has broken it. Good on you, Greg.

thoughtforfood said:

Oddly enough I agree with this guy - maybe not with the f*cks and whores though :)

Lemond is sounding more and more like a has been - I'm innocent and everyone else is guilty - The merest hint of a scandal means guilty - They're all corrupt. Perhaps a good doe of "shut up" would do him some good.

He's just another link in the "guilty until proven innocent" brigade.

The question is: Exactly how did he win clean against drugged up opposition? Ah yes - he hides behind the "they only invented proper drugs near the end of my career so I retired because I couldn't keep up" facade. Either nobody was doping when he was racing (yeah sure!!!) or he was just as doped up.

thoughtforfood said:
No other way for him to be heard.....he can't sell bikes....so :eek:

"Greg LeMond would need to be very careful," McQuaid told Cyclingnews in response. "I refute completely any allegations of corruption in the UCI, either now or in the past. We have always fought 100 percent in the fight against doping.

"If Greg LeMond was so sure, if he knew so much about the activities that were going on at the time he was racing, why did he not come forward to the UCI then with that information instead of talking about it now?" asked McQuaid.

whiteboytrash said:
"Greg LeMond would need to be very careful," McQuaid told Cyclingnews in response. "I refute completely any allegations of corruption in the UCI, either now or in the past. We have always fought 100 percent in the fight against doping.

"If Greg LeMond was so sure, if he knew so much about the activities that were going on at the time he was racing, why did he not come forward to the UCI then with that information instead of talking about it now?" asked McQuaid.

+1. While McQuaid's hubris overflows on the 'fought 100 percent' in the past, LeMond didn't say a peep when the dopers supposedly knocked him out of contention in '91. Only when Armstrong passed him as the #1 American cyclist did he start up the doping talk.

Attention *****. There may be some truth in what he's saying, but he's doing it for all the wrong reasons. Is there anyone involved in this mess who doesn't have a hidden agenda?

JohnO said:
+1. While McQuaid's hubris overflows on the 'fought 100 percent' in the past, LeMond didn't say a peep when the dopers supposedly knocked him out of contention in '91. Only when Armstrong passed him as the #1 American cyclist did he start up the doping talk.

Attention *****. There may be some truth in what he's saying, but he's doing it for all the wrong reasons. Is there anyone involved in this mess who doesn't have a hidden agenda?

McQuaid's comments are indefensible.

McQuaid told our federation meeting in 2005 "that cycling has no drug problem" when seeking backing for nomination to the role of UCI President.
So for him to now suggest that the UCI had fought doping in the past is another lie, upon the list of countless lies trotted out by that organisation and it's people in charge.

As for LeMond's comments : he is correct in stating that the sport is mired in doping.
That assertion has been proven beyond all doubt.

LeMond may be culpable for not speaking out sooner.
But that doesn't mitigate the veracity of his views that the sport is up to it's eyeballs in doping.

I support Greg Lemond and his public comments made at a Diabetes Association charity event.

Lemond's position stands in stark contrast to Lance Armstrong's on-going denials and lies which he spins every week on US media TV, newpapers and other.

I would ride a Lemond---but never a LIVE WRONG Trek wreck.

adrian knight said:
What an intelligent suggestion. Yes, lets shut up the people who are willing to speak out against doping in sport. FOOL!
He speaks out at a point in his life when he is all but forgotten. I have no problems with confronting doping, it is incessant need for attention that make him suspect in my book. I will also suggest that his "I was totally clean" statements smell of bovine fecal material. I haven't been called something as quaint as "FOOL" in quite some time. Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane.

limerickman said:
LeMond may be culpable for not speaking out sooner.
But that doesn't mitigate the veracity of his views that the sport is up to it's eyeballs in doping.
ita. and the criticism that he is getting now only goes to show how difficult it's going to be for others to speak up in order to clean the sport since the content of his comments will be brushed aside in favor of attacking his motives. if everyone will be susceptible to this kind of scrutiny then no wonder most remain hush hush.

Sure they do. Trek wrecks ride like 2x4 wood.

btw: Look out for your money matket funds---as some have CDO exposure too.

May redeem at less than par. Par = $1.OO

LIVE WRONG! Nike Swooshes to you. Cheat to win my Nike-made man.

LAF is very suspicious.

wolfix said:
Hein-Verbruggen I would ride a Lemond---but never a LIVE WRONG Trek wreck.[/QUOTE said:
Nobody cares what you do or ride.

thoughtforfood said:
He speaks out at a point in his life when he is all but forgotten. I have no problems with confronting doping, it is incessant need for attention that make him suspect in my book. I will also suggest that his "I was totally clean" statements smell of bovine fecal material. I haven't been called something as quaint as "FOOL" in quite some time. Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane.
It's a polite four letter word - and being a conservative Englishman don't wish to offend to strongly. I am cynical of all TDF winners when they claim to have been drug-free when they rode but that doesn't mean they can't speak out against it now. Is it hypocritical of him? Yes, but the longer this rages the more chance of a cleaner sport, whoever is the spokesman. :)

adrian knight said:
It's a polite four letter word - and being a conservative Englishman don't wish to offend to strongly. I am cynical of all TDF winners when they claim to have been drug-free when they rode but that doesn't mean they can't speak out against it now. Is it hypocritical of him? Yes, but the longer this rages the more chance of a cleaner sport, whoever is the spokesman. :)
LeMond has openly stated he didn't know what was going on at the time but he knew something was up....... in fact he made several references in his last Tour that something was up but he didn't know what...... but he saw things that he knew were not possiable.... now we know a lot more about EPO it makes sense for him to speak out.....

Bull…the ONLY reason he is speaking up is self serving and nothing else, he doesn’t give a **** about cycling at the pro level he only cares about his career or the lack there of….it keeps his name in the media and that is all he cares about.

Status
Not open for further replies.