Greg lemond training

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by nath1, Oct 11, 2008.

1. nath1

nath1 New Member

Hi, I know that there is an abundance of modern cycling books that cover training but I have become interested as to to what is specified in Greg's old book. The difficulty is that its almost impossible to get hold of due to its age.

So has anyone read this book and could tell me what he recommends as a weekly schedule. I am particularly interested in his method as before I have just done long slow distance leading up to the racing season doing around 14 hrs but I have read somewhere on the net that he recommends only around ten with speed work all year round too. Its not that my current schedule does not work, rather I am always on the look out for other more interesting ways to keep me going through the long shitty winter here in the UK!

cheers in advance Nathan

Tags:

2. YMCA

YMCA New Member

Even Greg has changed his tune these days.
    He's going more for rides that vary paces constantly, as opposed to the steady state stuff for hours on end.
    It's still a great book, with plenty of info you can still use, but I don't think he'd recommend it as a "training" book anymore.
    I have numerous old training books (Hinault, Eddy B, Lemond, Phinney, VanderPlas, Burke, etc...) all from the 80's and 90's and still refer to each of them constantly, along with the books from the new power generation.

I'll give you a brief overview of what he proposed for training back then:

m - off
    tu - am/ sprints, pm/ short intervals (or move these to Wed if still tired from the weekend)
    w - threshold work
    th- long
    f- short recovery ride
    sa- ride to help prepare for Sun race
    su - race

Intensity decreasing to endurance in that order through the week (sprints, interval, threshold, distance). That was his main point. To always do the most intense stuff first, unlike other coaches that might have you do sprints, long, intervals or long, threshold, sprints or whatever combos.

3. nath1

nath1 New Member

Thanks for that reply. So as you say he has changed his outlook as to how he trains today. Does that mean more volume, more long slow distance? Or does he still believe in doing sprint, interval all year around?

I did read somewhere that he does indeed like to make his rides similar to race type situation. That is the part that interests me. I am thinking of incorporating something like this into my schedule next year. So the book is worth the effort to get hold of?
    cheers Nathan

4. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I don't know why but when I saw the title of this thread, I could visualise Greg sitting in a small wooden chair preparing his usual 'questions' for Lance for an hour or two a day whilst facing a mirror...

... and then going on priceline.com to see how cheap he could get tickets to whereever in the world Lance's next press conference is.

5. YMCA

YMCA New Member

In a recent interview he talked of bagging the steady stuff and incorporating more changes in speed. In a race, he says you are constantly varying intensities and your training should reflect that. So, his point was that there is no need to go out and pedal long rides at the same effort for miles and miles. Play around and mix it up.

As far as year round, I guess that depends on your goals.

6. nath1

nath1 New Member

Cheers for the reply. Yes you are of course right with the goals for the season and tailoring the schedule to suit. I mostly do one day races and to be honest I am agressive in every race. I find it hard to sit in to do a race for training, so I tend to attack. Thats why I was looking at other routines to suit this style.
    Long distance stuff I know is important but I do like the fast paced training rides.
    cheers nathan.

7. blkhotrod

blkhotrod New Member

he's got the hot's for lance i think, and has been rejected so many times he has to resort to tantrums. sharon bullock and the other hot hollywood singles don't need to worry.