Greg LeMond's Comments

Pendejo

Apr 8, 2006
I thought LeMond's comments were interesting. He said that in his prime he could not have matched the top fifteen riders in this year's tour. You can bet that he's not saying that the top fifteen are better than he was. That's a pretty clever blanket condemnation of all of today's top riders.

It's also perversely humorous that the eventual probable winner of last year's TDF, Pereiro, and the winner of this year's, Contador, themselves might very well be guilty of the same "crimes" that led to the disqualification of the racer who was leading him. What must it feel like to be in that situation? And perhaps that's why there was a bit of a subdued reaction by Team Discovery to their victories. I don't know. Just musing.

Well, while you're musing, you might muse over what exactly makes you think that LeMond is clean. Is it because he says he is? If that's the case, then he's no different than anyone else who rides today. LeMond presumes quite a lot, and then he uses his "stature" to convince people that he's telling the truth.

All this musing is why it's so difficult to get ahead of the doping problem: you have to sort **** from truth, rumor from fact. Critical thought has gone out the window and been replaced by witch hunting techniques. The conduct of everyone--riders, team management, WADA, UCI, ASO, Unipublic, and etc--stinks.

Greg LeMond was a lot more respectable before he started passing judgement on everyone else.

alienator said:
Well, while you're musing, you might muse over what exactly makes you think that LeMond is clean. Is it because he says he is? If that's the case, then he's no different than anyone else who rides today. LeMond presumes quite a lot, and then he uses his "stature" to convince people that he's telling the truth.

All this musing is why it's so difficult to get ahead of the doping problem: you have to sort **** from truth, rumor from fact. Critical thought has gone out the window and been replaced by witch hunting techniques. The conduct of everyone--riders, team management, WADA, UCI, ASO, Unipublic, and etc--stinks.

Greg LeMond was a lot more respectable before he started passing judgement on everyone else.

Lemond seems just like another fat guy now. He's like the Jose Canseco of cycling, but he's not in as good of shape as Canseco.

I know I am in the minority, but I lend Lemond the benefit of the doubt and give him credit for speaking out on the problem. He has been doing this for years and now, more than ever, his words bear more weight.

Klodifan said:
I know I am in the minority, but I lend Lemond the benefit of the doubt and give him credit for speaking out on the problem. He has been doing this for years and now, more than ever, his words bear more weight.
And the whole Landis charade. Landis had confidence in Lemond enough to ring him when he was in need. IMO Landis surely must have confessed to Lemond because the alternative scenario where Lemond says, "You know Floyd, you think your innocent, but I'm going to make up a lie that you confessed to me and then testify in court" just doesn't make sense. Especially after we found out about the Geoghegan threat. Geoghegan was Floyd's best friend. Of course Floyd was in on it.

However, Lemond may be so guilty about his drugged past that he feels condemning everyone else and going on a crusade to expose the doping problem can help relieve the guilt. Or at least put a halo over his head in the public's eyes.

alienator said:
Well, while you're musing, you might muse over what exactly makes you think that LeMond is clean. Is it because he says he is? QUOTE]

I didn't write anything that implies I think LeMond was clean.

LeMond never actually said Landis admitted doping. Landis had an impression that he described as "implicit" but even reading what LeMond said, it seems clear to me that Landis did NOT admit or imply that he doped. LeMond has a chip on his shoulder, perhaps he's sad that he didnt get the attention Lance did. He jumped on Landis being guilty right out of the block and spoke publicly about it. I think he likes to bring others down... Doping is totally lame, but LeMond should channel his energy to positive change, not being the town crier...

alienator said:

He's not judging, he's disgusted, the man won a tour de france, got shot, healed, came back, and won again, he was the world champion, and now is left in the dust and forgotten by people because of riders who are self-centered dopers. So whats he supposed to do? Stop "judging" people and let them destroy this sport? It's not judging, doping is agains the rules, he's trying to keep his sport clean from dopers. He's honoring his sport.

blackwax said:
LeMond never actually said Landis admitted doping. Landis had an impression that he described as "implicit" but even reading what LeMond said, it seems clear to me that Landis did NOT admit or imply that he doped. LeMond has a chip on his shoulder, perhaps he's sad that he didnt get the attention Lance did. He jumped on Landis being guilty right out of the block and spoke publicly about it. I think he likes to bring others down... Doping is totally lame, but LeMond should channel his energy to positive change, not being the town crier...
It's positive to turn dopers in, once again, its keeping our sport clean, also, he started a bicycle company, has a whole fitness system, won a tour after being shot, is helping keeping our sport clean, yeah, that sure doesn't positive at all. And, if you at all watched the tour this year, and the noticed vino melted down in the mountains one day, bouncing back the next day, with the ride of a lifetime... hey, sounds like last years tour, AND HEY!!! vino was caught of blood doping, OH! and landis was caught of doping too, sounds like a trend here...

tfstrum said:
Lemond seems just like another fat guy now. He's like the Jose Canseco of cycling, but he's not in as good of shape as Canseco.
But he's a fat guy that can do the Etape Du Tour in 8hrs 41!!!

UncleFred said:
But he's a fat guy that can do the Etape Du Tour in 8hrs 41!!!
Yeah, and thats what happens to cyclist, we need soooo many calories and carbs and all that stuff to keep healthy, that if we stop riding, our body is still used to it, and were not burning any of it, we gain lots of weight, I knew a guy, who stopped riding to take care of his pregnant wife, he was an excellant rider, won many races, but when he stopped, he gained 90 pounds in one year:eek:

Cycler6n said:
Yeah, and thats what happens to cyclist, we need soooo many calories and carbs and all that stuff to keep healthy, that if we stop riding, our body is still used to it, and were not burning any of it, we gain lots of weight, I knew a guy, who stopped riding to take care of his pregnant wife, he was an excellant rider, won many races, but when he stopped, he gained 90 pounds in one year:eek:
I know what you are saying. I stopped for two years and gained weight. The good news is our metabolism kicks back in quickly. Once we start riding again we lose weight very fast.

Back on topic: LeMond is just responding to rumors. He has no real facts to add

alienator said:

Best post written on this site in quite a while. Bravo.

Each new generation of atheletes become better, taller, stronger, faster. (Drugs or no drugs)

Greg Lemond should realise that his time is over. He can't be king forever.

He's a dinosaur.

willocrew said:
Each new generation of atheletes become better, taller, stronger, faster. (Drugs or no drugs)

He's a dinosaur.
He has also been consistently proven right. :p

Cycler6n said:
Because it was articlualte, comprehensive, critical, imaginative and most of all correct. Critical thinking has indeed been scraped in recent times, and the hypocritical preachings of Lemond et al are off putting. The non-patronising tone of the post was refreshing, especially given the puffing going on elsewhere on the site.

People look at Lemond like "your old, shut up" the man was world champion, 2 (or 3) time winner of the tour de france. I think he loves cycling. why must everyone bash this man for wanting to help cycling stay clean? Floyed Landis is an idiotic doper who doesn't care about cycling, but himself. Lemond cares about cycling, he wants it clean, so he's doing what he can to help out. I can see why he's angry, he won it clean, not doping, cycling is all full of doping.

willocrew said:

He's a dinosaur.
His time is over, but look at armstrong, (I think he was doping), everyone is fine with him sitting in the team car, doing interviews, and all that, but his time is over, so he should get out of the picture, right? but because Lemond is old and wants to keep his sport clean, and is doing what he can, started a bike company, has a fitness program, people want him out, why? I don't understand why people want him out.