Greipel vs. Cavendish.

cavendish2_1626758c.jpg

Of all the Cav victory salutes, this one is definitely my favorite. Take that, mother****ers! And my favorite headline in this connection is this one from the Telegraph:

Mark Cavendish Flicks V-for-Victory After Win in Tour of Romandie

V for victory!

Cav really has the obnoxious little **** market sewn up.

I liked him when he first hit the scene - now that he's delved deep into the world of wankerdom I wish he woould get injured/sick again.

Methinks Zabel should tak him aside and have a bit of a father-son style chat about winning and dignity.

Eldron said:
Cav really has the obnoxious little **** market sewn up.

graf zeppelin said:
Starting to be impolite? Guy's an ass. My most disliked cyclist in the peloton, and that's saying something.

It's not as though we are in church here. Cycling is a sport typified by cynicism, corruption, and deep conservatism. Oh, wait, then, I guess it is like church. Let me try that again.

The greatest cyclists are driven, often, by inner demons that express themselves as anger on the road. Granted, that anger should be transcribed directly as watts on asphalt, but every once in a while it's expressed with an additional gesture. Let's not pretend cyclists are all a bunch of innocent choirboys. They are not riding in Franco's Spain (see Church, above) and you're not living there.

This is exactly the same gesture Churchill was photographed giving the press. I believe they were the ones who dubbed it the "V for Victory" salute, just as they did in Cav's case. I'm pretty sure it meant the same thing then it means now.

I for one am glad to see some honesty in a competitor. I say give 'em hell, Cav.

I see Columbia's bosses let their manginas do the talking and pulled Cav from the race - paying the fine directly from that stages prize money.

The best sprinters have pretty much been obnoxious, cnuts with the view that they're the best and everyone else can just fcuk off. They have to be like that - you don't ride like a missile, bumping shoulders and throwing caution to the wind at 40mph if you're all nicey-nicey.

Vanderarden - hard faced cnut who ate cobbles for breakfast.

Bomtempi - suave Italian stuck up push you in the barriers cnut.

Van Poppel - faster than fcuk cnut.

Adbuhaveyouoff - wreckless cnut who'd think nothing of breaking your ribs and smashing you into the barriers - and that was before the stage started.

Mario Cipocnutallini - "I'lla win da stage because they're all slow cnuts then I'lla fcuka your wife in my Ferrari."

Little Robbie McEwen - "I'm better that you because I'm a fast cnut. Cnut"

Cav aint the first and certainly won't be the last to be a complete tosspot.

The only great sprinter in the last few decades who wasn't a cnut was Kelly - but I think he was just happy he wasn't digging up peat for a living.

swampy1970 said:
I see Columbia's bosses let their manginas do the talking and pulled Cav from the race - paying the fine directly from that stages prize money.

I think maybe they're trying to preempt a UCI ban of Cav, which could be up to six months long and thus ruin all or part of a season. The rest of the race wasn't his cup of tea anyway.

The best sprinters have pretty much been obnoxious, cnuts with the view that they're the best and everyone else can just fcuk off. They have to be like that - you don't ride like a missile, bumping shoulders and throwing caution to the wind at 40mph if you're all nicey-nicey.

Adbuhaveyouoff - wreckless cnut who'd think nothing of breaking your ribs and smashing you into the barriers - and that was before the stage started.

Mario Cipocnutallini - "I'lla win da stage because they're all slow cnuts then I'lla fcuka your wife in my Ferrari."

The only great sprinter in the last few decades who wasn't a cnut was Kelly - but I think he was just happy he wasn't digging up peat for a living.
Thanks for that delightful list. Here's to Kelly, and all the others you mention. (Particularly McEwen, who always keeps me smiling.)

Maxiton said:
I think maybe they're trying to preempt a UCI ban of Cav, which could be up to six months long and thus ruin all or part of a season. The rest of the race wasn't his cup of tea anyway.

There was some chick in the Olympics or similar race that gave a similar gesture - she got a fine and nothing else. I think the UCI have already said that there'd probably wouldn't be a ban.

Then again, banning Cav will probably be the only way to allow most other sprinters to win a few Tour sprints this year. He'll bag another bunch of wins again this year.

Lets have another laugh:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCUD0CPKJSM&NR=1]YouTube - Mark Cavendish wins on the Champs Élysées[/ame]

swampy1970 said:

I think you have it all wrong...

Cipo oozed style from every pore in his body - he was so superior to everyone else that he didn't need to talk about it. He would never has reduced himself to actually telling anybody how superior he was.

You missed out Erik Zabel - a 200+ palmerer who's dog has more class than Cav (his yoghurt probably has more culture too).

The difference between all the great sprinters and Cav is that Cav is 50% sprinter / 50% football hooligan.

Dissing the competition, telling everybody who'll listen how great you are, dissing your team mates - these are traits of a spoilt little **** who managed to use his angst to make talent.

A truly great sprinter talks with his legs not his mouth.

I think Cav is going to be crashing a lot this season, finding himself boxed in, getting seperated from his train etc. The peleton has it's own methods of enforcing discipline.

Eldron said:
I think you have it all wrong...

Cipo oozed style from every pore in his body - he was so superior to everyone else that he didn't need to talk about it. He would never has reduced himself to actually telling anybody how superior he was.

You missed out Erik Zabel - a 200+ palmerer who's dog has more class than Cav (his yoghurt probably has more culture too).

The difference between all the great sprinters and Cav is that Cav is 50% sprinter / 50% football hooligan.

Dissing the competition, telling everybody who'll listen how great you are, dissing your team mates - these are traits of a spoilt little **** who managed to use his angst to make talent.

A truly great sprinter talks with his legs not his mouth.

I think Cav is going to be crashing a lot this season, finding himself boxed in, getting seperated from his train etc. The peleton has it's own methods of enforcing discipline.

Cav can't be a football hooligan, being that he's from the Isle of Man. Maybe being an honorary Scouser is enough...

Cav won't be crashing alot. Him and Renshaw will dismantle the other lead out trains pretty much the same way they did last year. They were so much better than everyone else it got a little silly. You watch that vid that I just posted and notice how they just leaned on the the couple from Garmin mid corner and just shut them down. No fear, just "this is ours, we junked your cr@p leadout 1km ago and we'll do it again. Watch how it's done, kiddies"

When your "supposed" team mate goes running his mouth when he's yet to win against the big boys in the big sprints then it's open season. Sure Gripe has won a couple of stages in Aus and in Turkey. The sprinters classic Scheldeprijs was a disaster for Gripe - being dumped on by all and couldn't hold the wheel of his lead out man for the race, Renshaw. Big sprinters race and no result. Shocker. Do you blame Cav for speaking out against him? I don't. When Greipel gets a few big wins under his belt then he'll have a leg to stand on, until then he can't really say that he's the best sprinter. When Cav gets asked during the Tour "are you the fastest sprinter?" he can't really answer anything other than "yes" when you take six stages can he? But people think he's being a cocky cnut, when infact he's just being plain truthful. In all of his stage wins in last years Tour, the closest anyone came was getting level with his back wheel.

I didn't put Zabel up there 'cause as you said, he wasn't a cnut per se but he was a doping cnut - a fine product of East Germany. He was a silly cnut too - 2004 Milan San Remo anyone? Of course Zabel is now Cav's sprint 'boss' and Cav credits his MSR win to riding parts of the course with Zabel.

Then again, it took Zabel almost a decade to win 12 Tour stages. It's taken Cav 2 years to win 10. It'll take Griepel 10 years to win 2.

Nope. Kelly was a cnut too. Shocking rep for rough-house tactics and causing crashes in bunch sprints early in his career. Had a legendary punch up with Vanderaerden into Rheims (in front of the cathedral no less) in the 1985 tour for which the pair of them got declassified and Castaing was handed the win.

Arrogance is part of the game - Cipo, Pantani, Armstrong are/were all arrogant when they needed to be. It's part of the make-up of a winner. So cycling has a new McEnroe. That's great for us all we can love him or hate him but he'll get our sport column inches. He's had a poor preseason due to illness, he's crashed out more than he's used to. No surprise there when he was a month behind everyone else in developement. He's getting back on top and just wait for the Tour. He's young and already breaking records. I've no doubt he'll go on to be an all time legend. Greipel will be Poulidor to his Anquetil.

Yonni said:
Arrogance is part of the game - Cipo, Pantani, Armstrong are/were all arrogant when they needed to be. It's part of the make-up of a winner.

I agree 100%. Still, Cavendish hasnt an ounce of grace in him, where other champions mentioned in this thread have. Sure, others have had moments similar to Cavendish, but every time I hear that guy speak in an interview or read about something he said or did, I cringe. Cavendish, imho, does not have the stuff of champions in this context. I personally wouldnt define him as a winner either, though I dont deny his talent and agree that he will be winning sprints this year and for many to come.

Actually I've met him and he was every bit the gent and humble with it on a charity event he was fronting.

Yonni said:
I've no doubt he'll go on to be an all time legend. Greipel will be Poulidor to his Anquetil.

I'm going to have to be a bit more reserved here. Those are some legendary names to invoke as comparison. Too early to say, imho. Its not that long ago we were starting to hear all the talk of how Pettachi was going to eclipse Cipo, and then came Boonen, and already the focus has changed. I do agree we may be seeing the beginnings of an interesting rivalry though.

Yonni said:
Actually I've met him and he was every bit the gent and humble with it on a charity event he was fronting.

Well, he needs to be in that context, as that's the point of a charity event. Where Cav, I think, is more himself, is when he is speaking off the cuff in an interview or the instinctual things he does and says after races, which is more what I was getting at. Still, having met him in person is something I cannot say that I have done, so I grant its simply my impression of him I am going on. Could be his public face is very bad as compared to his private, which is something he obviously needs to work on.

True - he was obviously on his best behaviour. I was a bit stunned to see him tbh as I wasn't on the charity ride myself, just riding through Holyrood Park in Edinburgh last year on my way home from a quick session. I nearly fell off my bike when I saw him in full Columbia gear standing by his bike. I stopped and listened to him for about 20 minutes before I got too cold and went home. I wanted to get him to sign my mits and then frame them but there was a queue of nearly 100 cyclists already waiting for autographs.

Gripe gets dropped by his leadout man... Again.

... at least he made like Tony Zackery and got on the "podium." ;)

swampy1970 said:
Gripe gets dropped by his leadout man... Again.

... at least he made like Tony Zackery and got on the "podium." ;)

And at least he was racing in the race and not lumped up on his couch eating ice cream and being an armchair expert like this anonomous troll:D...

He might be doing just that next year. Another pityful sprint.

The look on Matt Goss's face when he looks over his shoulder to wonder where Greipel is after a picture perfect lead out and the guy can't even get off his wheel... Then to add further insult to injury, Weylandt takes off up the road dangling his wheel right infront of Gripe then Brown takes off after him and again a wheel is just dangled there for the offering... Fail, fail and fail. It makes you wonder whether karma is giving his brake calipes a little squeeze and it's payback time for slagging off Cav.

6th place. Just a little better than Vino.

Then he gets all p1ssy with the stage winner, shaking his fist at him for not working too much. Call the fecking whaaaaambulance.

tonyzackery said:
And at least he was racing in the race and not lumped up on his couch eating ice cream and being an armchair expert like this anonomous troll:D...

... at least I can outsprint my armchair.