Grilled Swiss Chard Stems

Goomba38

Guest
On Tyler Florences recent "How to Boil Water"
show, he made wilted swiss chard. He removed the
stems and mentioned that Italians grill these with
olive oil. I've never had them so, has anyone?
I am making Chick Pea and Escarole Soup, except I
couldn't find escarole so I'm substituting swiss
chard.
Goomba

Goomba38 wrote:
> On Tyler Florences recent "How to Boil Water"
> show, he made wilted swiss chard. He removed the
> stems and mentioned that Italians grill these with
> olive oil. I've never had them so, has anyone?
> I am making Chick Pea and Escarole Soup, except I
> couldn't find escarole so I'm substituting swiss
> chard.
> Goomba

Yes, the stem and rib section of "greens" are like a separate
vegetable... I grill collard stems all the time. You can also dice the
stems and add to your soup. Btw, there are some certain people who may
not be happy to learn that chard is beets.

Sheldon

Sheldon wrote:

Btw, there are some certain people who may
> not be happy to learn that chard is beets.
>
> Sheldon

LOL... you're so bad :)
I looked at those sturdy stalks and thought if I
grilled them, then dressed them in an oil/vinegar
marinade they might make a nice little addition to
an antipasto platter. Whatcha think?
Goomba

Goomba38 wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> Btw, there are some certain people who may
> > not be happy to learn that chard is beets.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> LOL... you're so bad :)
> I looked at those sturdy stalks and thought if I
> grilled them, then dressed them in an oil/vinegar
> marinade they might make a nice little addition to
> an antipasto platter. Whatcha think?
> Goomba

Yes, they're good as a hot vegetable or cold in a salad.

Goomba38 wrote:

> On Tyler Florences recent "How to Boil Water"
> show, he made wilted swiss chard. He removed the
> stems and mentioned that Italians grill these with
> olive oil. I've never had them so, has anyone?
> I am making Chick Pea and Escarole Soup, except I
> couldn't find escarole so I'm substituting swiss
> chard.

I never had Swiss Chard until a few months ago.
The list of vegetables that I really hate is not very long,
but Swiss Chard was added to it.

Goomba wrote:

> On Tyler Florences recent "How to Boil Water" show, he made wilted swiss
> chard. He removed the stems and mentioned that Italians grill these with
> olive oil. I've never had them so, has anyone?

I've cooked beet stalks before; I think they're pretty much the same as
chard stalks. I just steamed them and added black pepper and butter. For a
more elaborate treatment, you might try this recipe which I happened to see
on TV:

www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_16698,00.html:

Beet Stalks with Prosciutto: Coste di Bietola con Prosciutto
Show: Molto Mario
Episode: Presnitz Is Love

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

2 bunches beet greens, beets reserved for another use
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
2 ounces prosciutto di San Daniele, thinly sliced, then julienned
2 oranges zested, plus 1 orange juiced
Pinch cinnamon
1/2 red onion, sliced paper thin

Clean the beet greens, removing the leaves and setting them aside for
another use. Trim the stalks on the cut end to 6 inches long.

Bring 1 quart of water to a boil and set up an ice bath nearby. Cook the
stalks for 2 to 3 minutes in the boiling water until tender, then shock in
ice water. Once cooled, remove the stalks and pat dry. Cut the stalks into
1/4-inch julienne and set aside.

In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil over high
heat until almost smoking. Add the beet stalks, prosciutto, orange zest,
cinnamon, remaining olive oil and red onion and toss to coat, about 30
seconds. Splash with the orange juice and toss again. Season with salt and
pepper and divide among 4 plates. Serve immediately, with fish or grilled
meats.

Bob

Goomba38 wrote:
> On Tyler Florences recent "How to Boil Water" show, he made wilted swiss
> chard. He removed the stems and mentioned that Italians grill these with
> olive oil. I've never had them so, has anyone?
> I am making Chick Pea and Escarole Soup, except I couldn't find escarole
> so I'm substituting swiss chard.
> Goomba

I think them delicious grilled, and brush lightly with my standard olive
oil, lemon juice, minced lemon thyme mix.
blacksalt

In article <[email protected]>,
Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tyler Florences recent "How to Boil Water"
> show, he made wilted swiss chard. He removed the
> stems and mentioned that Italians grill these with
> olive oil. I've never had them so, has anyone?
> I am making Chick Pea and Escarole Soup, except I
> couldn't find escarole so I'm substituting swiss
> chard.
> Goomba

Mmmmmm... Chard is not bitter like Escarole. :)
It's slightly **** and sweet. I just planted more out in the garden
so I'll have some all year if all goes well!
Slightly "meaty" flavor, similar to but better
than fresh spinach and easier to wash clean!

I've not tried grilling the stems, but I often use
chard in stir fry. I sautee' the stems sliced into
bite sized pieces and rip the leaves the same way.

It's fabulous no matter how you cook it IMHO. I often
just steam it and serve with a bit of lemon butter.

But, Chard IS my #1 favorite green! I have red, green
and rainbow chard (yellow and orange stems).

Not tried it in soup. but that's a good idea, thanks!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
> > On Tyler Florences recent "How to Boil Water"
> > show, he made wilted swiss chard. He removed the
> > stems and mentioned that Italians grill these with
> > olive oil. I've never had them so, has anyone?
> > I am making Chick Pea and Escarole Soup, except I
> > couldn't find escarole so I'm substituting swiss
> > chard.
> > Goomba

> Yes, the stem and rib section of "greens" are like a separate
> vegetable... I grill collard stems all the time. You can also dice the
> stems and add to your soup. Btw, there are some certain people who may
> not be happy to learn that chard is beets.
>
> Sheldon

Wow, really??? Same family? The roots don't form large bulbs
like beets do!

Funny, I adore beet greens but not beets, and have always
compared them to chard.

Thanks! :)

BTW, I _hate_ callard greens!!! Blech.
Mustard is not much better!

My chickens love it tho'.
Makes their eggyolks nice and orange!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
> Btw, there are some certain people who may
> > not be happy to learn that chard is beets.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> LOL... you're so bad :)
> I looked at those sturdy stalks and thought if I
> grilled them, then dressed them in an oil/vinegar
> marinade they might make a nice little addition to
> an antipasto platter. Whatcha think?
> Goomba

Chard is not bad raw on a "dip" tray.
--
K.

In article <[email protected]>,
Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
>
> > On Tyler Florences recent "How to Boil Water"
> > show, he made wilted swiss chard. He removed the
> > stems and mentioned that Italians grill these with
> > olive oil. I've never had them so, has anyone?
> > I am making Chick Pea and Escarole Soup, except I
> > couldn't find escarole so I'm substituting swiss
> > chard.

> I never had Swiss Chard until a few months ago.
> The list of vegetables that I really hate is not very long,
> but Swiss Chard was added to it.

How sad... :-(

How was it prepared?

Do you like fresh spinach?